rated by 0 users
This post has 127 Replies | 3 Followers

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,302
Bronze Member
Hiort Posted: Wed, Apr 17 2019 8:38 AM
New design under the Music tab with horizontal scrolling.

I like it (some text appears wrongly though)

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
Posts 1,019
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Apr 17 2019 8:48 AM
On top of the missing text for some buttons, i find the music tiles size inconsistent, maybe it is on purpose, but not good to me, and the radio tiles are far too big on a phone.

BS Moment, BS Core, BS Ouverture, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,209
Bronze Member

Hi Hiort,

you beat me on this one.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,418
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Apr 17 2019 9:18 AM

iPad version updated - tile view looks a bit more sensible on a tablet.

One thing though - when you select "show all", it reverts to a list.

This is still horrible - at least on a tablet, the "show all" should expand to a tile view you can scroll up and down.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,302
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Apr 17 2019 9:35 AM
On the radio tab I would say the icons are unnecessary big. Should be more like the size of the icons in Music view, in my mind.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,209
Bronze Member

In order to have just one thread on this subject, I’ll add my post from the one that I made....right at the same time as this one from Hiort.

The version 2.6 brings ‘New music view design‘.

Which changes do you see?

Only difference, that I see, are a different icons, when you pick your music server.

By the way. - I never understood why I have to see the ‘folders’ for pictures and video in a music-only app 🤔

P.S.

There might be changes with view of Deezer - which I don’t use (when yes, which?)

Other changes, that I do not notice?

MM

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Apr 17 2019 3:00 PM

I'm not exactly sure when these features showed up, but I recently noticed:

1)  Essence and Beosound 2 now have "reboot" option under product -> configuration -> troubleshoot

2)  The Eclipse stand and speaker group can be changed from the app.

Woot!

Edit:  I now realize this is the "beta" thread, and the above features on in the "released" product...

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
Posts 1,019
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Apr 17 2019 5:07 PM
The play queue loop has not been fixed in this release, and if it is also product related, dixit MrAndersen, we are not close to have it fixed considering that most, if not all, products were recently updated too .... a shame

BS Moment, BS Core, BS Ouverture, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Fansastic
Top 200 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 286
Bronze Member
Fansastic replied on Wed, Apr 17 2019 8:02 PM
Selecting speaker group is still not working for my Horizon. The error message in the app still appears.

A extra menu under settings for my BS2 is showing up: ProductInfoRemoteControls. Selecting it gives me opportunity to pair remote one or essence. Dit not try it but all text is not aligned correctly.

Still No colour selection for V1

Still no icon selection for NL ML converter

Still no volume setting in multiroom for the NL ML converter

Still no setup page for NL ML converter and the old beosetup app is gone a long time already

The new tiles in music are to big for my taste

Still encounter problems with the sound coming up on BS2 after switching on (randomly). Unsure if this is a app related or software version related bs2 problem

Music playing queue is not correct

That’s my small feedback for this moment

Dyssegaard
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 151
Bronze Member
Dyssegaard replied on Thu, Apr 18 2019 10:02 AM
In addition to the issues already reported in this thread I have the following observations:

1) When playing radio on my BV11/Core, the left/right arrows in the “Now playing” window does not shift radio station but generates an error message (see screen shot):

When I do the same on the M5, it works as expected.

2) On my old iPad Mini (iOS v. 9.3.5) the app freezes when I select the Music or Radio buttons in the Product view, so I’m not able to test the new music view design on the iPad.

Best regards - Dyssegaard

Family room: Beovision 11-40 / Beosound Core, Beolab 3 (front), Beolab 8000 / R1 (back), Beolab 2 (sub), AppleTV 4K, Chromecast. Bedroom: Beoplay M5. Home office: Beolit 12. Travel: Beoplay H8, Beoplay A1. NAS: WD My Cloud Home / Plex DLNA Server.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 174
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Thu, Apr 18 2019 12:48 PM

I've got the same issuea with my Essence Mk2/V1 integrated setup. It seems the integration feature is broken in the newest versions of the beta app.

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,504
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Apr 18 2019 11:58 PM

With my huge collection of portable speakers, headphones, and earphones, the ability to organize the products in a given view is really essential. For example, there could be groups for (1) home multi-room, (2) office, and (3) portable devices.

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
Posts 1,019
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 9:30 AM
Back to screen design, here is a B&O / Deezer / Plex comparison on an iPhone XR.

Tiles sizes in cm:

B&O app uses a mix of 1.5 x 1.5 - 2.6 x 2.6 - 2.0 x 2.0 for the home screen and a list for details.

Deezer consistently use 2.7 x 2.7 for all the screens

PLEX uses 1.5 x 1,5 for the home screen and 1.8 x 1.8 for the details

I personally like the PLEX design including the black background which would be more consistent in the B&O app unless all is consistently white.

.... B&O app is to my point of view the perfect example of what should not be done in screen design, from all points of view, and it’s getting worse at each new change

Alsfeld
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Founder
Alsfeld replied on Fri, Apr 19 2019 12:58 PM

I follow mbolo01 I think the user interface design (UID) is horrible in comparison to other apps I use. 

1) The product view looks like a B&O catalog page out of the 80ties. Perhaps good for selling products to my parents, they are used to this styl. But as hint to the developers, I already own all the products listed. For the intended use to choose a product I want to configure it is terrible inconvenient. And you need many klicks and pages to get what you need.

2) The Music & Radio page are very confusing and you have to scroll a lot to get an overview. And you need too many clicks and see different pages until you can start listening - the main purpose of this page. Besides missing many technical features like: Deezer flow, what I heard last, etc.

3) The multiroom page is ok, it shows your online B&O equipment. You can link it. Probably the best page of the four. Very minimalistic and it shows what it does - that is good! But still it could be enhanced by more information, for example showing what is currently played, status, etc.

4) The player view is ok, but I miss the integration to the Music & Radio view. You are not able to make it smaller, so that you can still access the major functionalities while looking at the other views e.g. Music or Radio. All other player apps I use are offering these feature.

What I totally miss is the link between these four main areas. I always have to switch between the different areas with many clicks, it is not logical linked at all.

Considering that B&O likes to be a design company focusing on user experience, they should invest more by using professionals.

Closing with a sarcastic interpretation:  I get the feeling that B&O tried to save money by using four computer science students with no experience regarding UID, forbid them to talk to each other and let them develop four different functionalities for a iOS app. After this unique experiment (following the brand name beoPLAY) they put all functionalities together in one app …

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
Posts 1,019
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 9:11 AM

New 2.6.0 out, still poor design and missing translations for new buttons.

I wonder if feedback sent through the app is taken into consideration anytime ...

Change in this version: "new design for BT volume control" ...

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,418
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 9:42 AM

I gave up on the app a good while ago.

I use it to start a product in another room before I get there, and thats it.

For music, it's a poor experience. The native apps (be that Tidal, Spotify whatever) are much better, and even these are far behind Roon.

For radio, the app is fine.

And more broadly, it just takes far too may taps to do basic things.

Dyssegaard
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 151
Bronze Member
Dyssegaard replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 12:07 PM
I have tested the new design for Bluetooth volume control on my A1:

It works ok, but I don’t understand why B&O uses a different design for Bluetooth compared to the multiroom speakers (e.g. M5) when it comes to volume/playback control:

Family room: Beovision 11-40 / Beosound Core, Beolab 3 (front), Beolab 8000 / R1 (back), Beolab 2 (sub), AppleTV 4K, Chromecast. Bedroom: Beoplay M5. Home office: Beolit 12. Travel: Beoplay H8, Beoplay A1. NAS: WD My Cloud Home / Plex DLNA Server.

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,687
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, Apr 24 2019 8:49 PM

I completely agree with you, I'm shocked by every new release of this app. I don't understand how a design driven company can completely fail on the UX of its main app.

Nothing is consistent (black+white interface mixed, now circular volume control + volume bar), there is way too much clicks/taps, and ugly visuals (like full color perspective products picture instead of product pictograms).

I think that now that there is a developer team working on this app (which was completely left over before this time), there is no UX designer, developers are working alone.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,209
Bronze Member

Dyssegaard:
I have tested the new design for Bluetooth volume control on my A1:

It works ok, but I don’t understand why B&O uses a different design for Bluetooth compared to the multiroom speakers (e.g. M5) when it comes to volume/playback control:

Maybe that is to seperate these devices (1: multiroom and 2: bluetooth) - nothing wrong with that.

I don’t care - I would never use the app for my A1 anyway.

Or maybe it’s the new way of doing things, that will merge into the (app) control of the multiroom devices?

P.S. In the controlling for the tv’s there is yet another/a third way of handling that.

MM

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 243
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Thu, Apr 25 2019 9:06 AM

mbee:

I completely agree with you, I'm shocked by every new release of this app. I don't understand how a design driven company can completely fail on the UX of its main app.

Nothing is consistent (black+white interface mixed, now circular volume control + volume bar), there is way too much clicks/taps, and ugly visuals (like full color perspective products picture instead of product pictograms).

I think that now that there is a developer team working on this app (which was completely left over before this time), there is no UX designer, developers are working alone.

+1 totally agree Sad

jans
Top 200 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 383
Bronze Member
jans replied on Thu, Apr 25 2019 10:43 AM
The latest versions allow to select the speaker groups for your television. It doesn’t work with my V1. The app shows the correct speaker group, but selecting another speaker group doesn’t work

Are others experiencing the same problem?
Dyssegaard
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 151
Bronze Member
Dyssegaard replied on Thu, Apr 25 2019 10:48 AM
jans:

The latest versions allow to select the speaker groups for your television. It doesn’t work with my V1. The app shows the correct speaker group, but selecting another speaker group doesn’t work

Are others experiencing the same problem?

Yes, I have the same problem with my BV11. It has never worked !

altist
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Gold Member
altist replied on Thu, Apr 25 2019 1:53 PM
Hi I have same problem on my BV11. The old app worked fine. I have brought this to beocare’s attenrion and they say they have referred it back the development team. I’m not a beta chap but someone replied to my comments a while back that it didn’t work, and said it has never worked properly,even in initial beta release. Let’s hope they sort soon..it’s been wrong for too long!
jvezina
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 126
Gold Member
jvezina replied on Thu, Apr 25 2019 3:22 PM

A silly question : How can I download this beta version ? Is it also possible to have it in addition to the released version in the same device ?

Thanks,

Jean

MrAndersen
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 198
Bronze Member

Hi all

Planned on starting this thread but you beat me to it and Easter slowed me down. Some comments on your observations

• Translations are coming tonight
  • Speakergroup selection for BV11 is fixed and will come out tonight
  • Shuffle is fixed on the product, not sure when it will be rolled out
  • The volume wheel cannot be used on a scrollable interface, simply doesn't make sense. Secondly it is just to big for small screens
  • The home view is being re-designed and grouping/categorisation being added. Images are there to stay though, they are just better
  • There are several outstanding issues on integrated setup. These will be dealt with soon but they are extremely time consuming, since the whole integrated setup solution is overly complicated. I cannot promise all quirks ironed out soon, simple too many combinations to work with.

Some words on design. Currently we support 60+ products over many categories all with different features. We need to find a common interface that works for users with big setups like yours, to people with only a few BT products. From users on Beolink and Masterlink to users on Airplay 2. Compromises has been made. Currently we are reworking everything, starting with music and setup, then homeview and control. We need to do it in steps, so there will be inconsistencies until we are through everything. 

We read and take note of everything in here, even though there are gaps between my posts. Yes, we do have UX designers in the team, please keep it constructive. 

My best to you all and thanks for the feedback. As always it is much appreciated.

Thomas, Bang & Olufsen

jans
Top 200 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 383
Bronze Member
jans replied on Thu, Apr 25 2019 4:56 PM
altist:

Hi I have same problem on my BV11. The old app worked fine. I have brought this to beocare’s attenrion and they say they have referred it back the development team. I’m not a beta chap but someone replied to my comments a while back that it didn’t work, and said it has never worked properly,even in initial beta release. Let’s hope they sort soon..it’s been wrong for too long!

So switching speaker groups doesn’t work with BV11 and V1. Looks like this wasn’t properly tested by the development team, and should not even be part of a Beta release! This is not what I expect from a professional organisation!
poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 233
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Thu, Apr 25 2019 6:09 PM

MrAndersen:

Hi all

Planned on starting this thread but you beat me to it and Easter slowed me down. Some comments on your observations

• Translations are coming tonight
  • Speakergroup selection for BV11 is fixed and will come out tonight
  • Shuffle is fixed on the product, not sure when it will be rolled out
  • The volume wheel cannot be used on a scrollable interface, simply doesn't make sense. Secondly it is just to big for small screens
  • The home view is being re-designed and grouping/categorisation being added. Images are there to stay though, they are just better
  • There are several outstanding issues on integrated setup. These will be dealt with soon but they are extremely time consuming, since the whole integrated setup solution is overly complicated. I cannot promise all quirks ironed out soon, simple too many combinations to work with.

Some words on design. Currently we support 60+ products over many categories all with different features. We need to find a common interface that works for users with big setups like yours, to people with only a few BT products. From users on Beolink and Masterlink to users on Airplay 2. Compromises has been made. Currently we are reworking everything, starting with music and setup, then homeview and control. We need to do it in steps, so there will be inconsistencies until we are through everything. 

We read and take note of everything in here, even though there are gaps between my posts. Yes, we do have UX designers in the team, please keep it constructive. 

My best to you all and thanks for the feedback. As always it is much appreciated.

Thomas, Bang & Olufsen

I certainly agree that you have a huge task but I would not count products like Essence-1 or A9-1 as being supported, except at the most rudimentary level. It would be more integrity if B&O would just announce that support has ended, and suggest other directions. Essence 1 now works much better without the remote and the app, Only B&O advantage is speaker connection.

That's life in tech. When you try to please everybody you please nobody. 

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
Posts 1,019
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Thu, Apr 25 2019 6:29 PM
MrAndersen:

Shuffle is fixed on the product, not sure when it will be rolled.

Currently we are reworking everything, starting with music.

Thanks for the update.

Will the play queue loop be fixed on products soon?

As you are working on music, has it been reconsidered to have a better song insertion into a product play queue when the given queue is not empty? In the attached image, an artist album was added in the product play queue this morning (Pleasure), 10 hours after I added another album to the product play queue (Abdullah Ibrahim) whose songs have been inserted between song 1 and song 2 of the previous album ... why??? Why would album 1 resume after album 2 is finished? If you add this issue on top of the loop issue, it is a very disappointing experience.

As you are working on music and product integration, can you have a look at why emptying a queue on a product stops the music on it but not on all the products that have joined it?

I’m sorry to post these here but it is difficult to find the right channel to report these days. There is no feedback or ack when feedback is sent through App feedback, and Beocare support very hard to deal with

Finally, will B&O one day acquire or partner with a music media server provider to develop a better & modern DLNA integration into the App? Or is DLNA not strategic for B&O which prefers the Airplay route to satisfy a larger public? (I know I’ll have no answer to this)

Many thanks.

Dion
Not Ranked
Perth, Australia
Posts 25
Bronze Member
Dion replied on Fri, Apr 26 2019 2:29 AM

Hi mbolo01,

thanks for posting this play queue insertion issue, I have the same problem and do not think it is intuitive at all. It is also inconsistent with other media type apps available. 

In my mind, I would expect the following -

- if I am browsing media in the app and tap the play icon I would expect the current play queue to be cleared and the new selection to start playing.

- for other options (ie insert into current queue or to play next) I would tap on the three dot menu and select those options.

- in regards to previous play queues, I think that it is reasonable that when a device goes into standby the play queue is automatically cleared. The queue would then be empty the next time you start the device and make a selection.

Just some things for the development team to think about.

Dion.

BeoVision Avant55 Mk1; Theatre with BeoSystem4; BeoPlay A9; BeoPlay A6; BeoPlay M5; BeoPlay H3 ANC

..and it all started 15 years ago with a pair of B&O A8 Earphones...

Dyssegaard
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 151
Bronze Member
MrAndersen:

Speakergroup selection for BV11 is fixed and will come out tonight

I have installed the latest beta this morning, and now the speakergroup selection works on my BV11 Big Smile

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,209
Bronze Member

Dion:

Hi mbolo01,

thanks for posting this play queue insertion issue, I have the same problem and do not think it is intuitive at all. It is also inconsistent with other media type apps available. 

In my mind, I would expect the following -

- if I am browsing media in the app and tap the play icon I would expect the current play queue to be cleared and the new selection to start playing.

- for other options (ie insert into current queue or to play next) I would tap on the three dot menu and select those options.

- in regards to previous play queues, I think that it is reasonable that when a device goes into standby the play queue is automatically cleared. The queue would then be empty the next time you start the device and make a selection.

Just some things for the development team to think about.

Dion.

How about the app team making a little video to explain how they think these (Play/Queue.....) options should/can be used.

Or let Christian do that - could be ‘for internal use’, but easy to find for us beta testers.

MM

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
Posts 1,019
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Apr 26 2019 4:53 PM
Dion:

Hi mbolo01,

I may be old school, but I would expect the same behavior than playing a record on a turntable with the benefit of not having to flip sides. What I’m not expecting is a record to loop forever or the previous listener record to play when the current one finishes, specially if the previous record was a complete different genre listened with a complete different mood ... my view again.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,209
Bronze Member

mbolo01:

I may be old school, 

Yes, you are (and so am I....by the way).

Notheless this is not the way that most people listen to/use music nowadays - they make ‘playlists’.

Therefore these issues should be solved!

You (and I and a couple others) still can play one album at the time.......if we want to.

Personally I miss nothing with how the app works for music selection - in fact I had to test that ‘queue problem’ in order to understand what was meant.

However, when a queue function is offered, it should also work.

MM

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
Posts 1,019
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Apr 26 2019 10:41 PM
Millemissen:

Notheless this is not the way that most people listen to/use music nowadays - they make ‘playlists’.

I agree, but as you stated “THEY MAKE PLAYLISTS”, in other words THEY build their own compilation album to listen to, where in the current play queue management, B&O decides that It is time for me to listen to these tracks following my personal selection .... what ???? Why ????

If I want B&O to control what to listen, then I chose Moment MoodWheel type of solution, which I did, but the app should let me have the full control of the songs I want to listen, unless a MW type of service is introduced.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,209
Bronze Member

My app/B&O never played me anything that I hadn’t decided for previously.

It plays the album that I have choosen - and stops.

MM

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
Posts 1,019
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Apr 27 2019 8:49 AM
Millemissen:

Lucky guy you are! It happens to me extremely rarely.

Once it has started inserting songs between 1st and 2nd songs of the previous play queue, usually after two or three new song or album load, it keeps doing it until an undetermined event that cause a return to normal behavior, maybe after long idle time.

At least I’m not alone to observe the inconsistent behaviors .... insertion and loop

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
Posts 1,019
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Apr 27 2019 2:26 PM

Millemissen:

My app/B&O never played me anything that I hadn’t decided for previously.

MM

BTW MM, do you have a DLNA source? I noticed that the playing queue insertion issue is more difficult to recreate in a Deezer environment only.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,209
Bronze Member

mbolo01:

BTW MM, do you have a DLNA source? I noticed that the playing queue insertion issue is more difficult to recreate in a Deezer environment only.

Sure, I have a DLNA source (in fact more different servers).....several thousand files on the NAS.

It has never been a problem to me, since I generally don’t handle with playlists. 

I load an album (one at the time) and start to play the first track - when the album has finished, the playback stops.

The order of the tracks in an album, that the artist has made, is fine for me.

MM

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
Posts 1,019
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Apr 28 2019 2:01 PM
Millemissen:

I load an album (one at the time) and start to play the first track - when the album has finished, the playback stops.

Interesting, specially for B&O, as you don’t have the play queue loop that they were able to recreate, nor the play queue insertion that at least two of us have.

I would like to be able to play one album at a time too ....

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,504
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Apr 28 2019 10:12 PM

There is a very practical issue that has been bugging me for years. Why isn't it possible to allow volume adjustment offset for more sources than just the "line-in"? Can you seriously tell me that people in Struer haven't also been very annoyed by the higher volume of Tune In and the need to rush to the remote to lower the volume? Similarly, it would be nice to be able to adjust the volume for a datalink-enabled BeoGram connected as a source via an NL/ML converter. This seems like such a minor request to make the user experience more enjoyable.

Page 1 of 4 (128 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL