Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Essence wireless system - setup problems again and again !

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Kenneth Lindholm
Not Ranked
Denmark
11 Posts
Bronze Member
Kenneth Lindholm posted on Thu, Mar 14 2019 5:55 PM

Hi guys,

Have any of you got problems with connecting to the Essence ?

I have had 2 Playmakers, and now 2 Essence systems.

All of them suddenly the wifi stops working, I can only get it to work wired (LAN).

So maybe the wifi is burned off, and why does that happen ?

B&O says that unfortuneatly there is no more warranty, and to repair the Essence is not worth it.

But I can buy the new CORE, they said, it´s a great piece of an equipment.

NOW F**KING WAY ! ... Im not gonna buy the fifth system in 5 years.

The problem with the Essence is that it can only flash green on the back, and I have been resetting it many many times, and nothing happens.

Can it really be real, that the only thing I can do is to throw it in the garbage ?

Is it possible to buy the wifi part as a replacement, and chance it my self ?

Is there maybe a non-beo-brand, with a smart and CHEAP device (with trigger) to connect directly to my Beolab 2 ? 

I hope someone can help me.... I really need music in my life ! (-:

Kindest Regards,

Kenneth 

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
611 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Stan replied on Fri, Mar 15 2019 11:59 AM
Verified by Kenneth Lindholm

I'm with MM on this one.  It sounds like it has lost / forgotten it's wifi configuration, and needs to be reconfigured.

If the app is not recognizing the Essence, I wonder if you can still talk to it via web?  Wasn't there an HTTP URL one could use to talk to the Essence?  Or am I getting it confused with the NL/ML converter.

If you can't get wifi to work, then it would seem like the power line ethernet (turns your electrical wires into ethernet cables) would be an option (as suggested above) or, worse case (but probably cheaper than buying Cores) would be use a wifi extender with an ethernet port - I had my Essence connected to an airport express like this for a while when it was having wifi problems - it's wifi problems disappeared when I upgraded my wifi).

Stan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,273 Posts
Bronze Member

Happy to be one of the helpers....enjoy ‘your new’ Essences - and the music.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

All Replies

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
243 Posts
Bronze Member

kenet7:

The problem with the Essence is that it can only flash green on the back, and I have been resetting it many many times, and nothing happens.

Can it really be real, that the only thing I can do is to throw it in the garbage ?

Is it possible to buy the wifi part as a replacement, and chance it my self ?

Is there maybe a non-beo-brand, with a smart and CHEAP device (with trigger) to connect directly to my Beolab 2 ? 

I hope someone can help me.... I really need music in my life ! (-:

I have owned playmaker and essence I. Essence  became stable for me when I put much of my home products on 5 ghz and changed 2.4 to a not crowded channel for Essence. Cannot hurt to give it a go. If not, your cause of essence wifi quality will be more confirmed. 

Kenneth Lindholm
Not Ranked
Denmark
11 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply.

My problem is that the Essence cannot be setup to work.... It can only flash green :-(

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,363 Posts
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Mar 14 2019 9:56 PM

If it works with ethernet, why don't you go with  a Powerline ethernet adapters ?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,273 Posts
Bronze Member

kenet7:

Thanks for the reply.

My problem is that the Essence cannot be setup to work.... It can only flash green :-(

What did you actually (and exactly) do set it up?

If it works wired, it must be set up already - what works, everything?

You wrote in your first post about the 2 Playmakers and the 2 Essences:

All of them suddenly the wifi stops working, I can only get it to work wired (LAN).

I really can’t imagine, that the wifi module in all 4 units should fail.

I’d look for the problem in your wifi/wifi settings.

Please use one or more of the suggestions, that the other posters gave.....if you can’t find the cause in your wireless networking.

MM

Kenneth Lindholm
Not Ranked
Denmark
11 Posts
Bronze Member

When I turn on the Essence, and it is connected to the beolab speakers only, then it can only flash green... It has to be solid white to work.

When it is flashing green, if I put a ethernet cable in it, then after a short time it is solid white and works.

But my problem is that I live in a concrete apartment, so the only option I have is with wifi.

When I tested it as described above, I have taken a beolab speaker and the Essence out in the small technique-room in the front of the apartment, and connected it directly to the router, and then it works.

So the the wifi part in the Essence, maybe is burned of ?

Kenneth Lindholm
Not Ranked
Denmark
11 Posts
Bronze Member

When I turn on the Essence, and it is connected to the beolab speakers only, then it can only flash green... It has to be solid white to work.

When it is flashing green, if I put a ethernet cable in it, then after a short time it is solid white and works.

But my problem is that I live in a concrete apartment, so the only option I have is with wifi.

When I tested it as described above, I have taken a beolab speaker and the Essence out in the small technique-room in the front of the apartment, and connected it directly to the router, and then it works.

So the the wifi part in the Essence, maybe is burned of ?

Kenneth Lindholm
Not Ranked
Denmark
11 Posts
Bronze Member

It could be a great idea to get it to work again, I will look into it.

It is just weird, that it just stops working, and only can flash green, and the B&o app cannot set it up.

Thanks (-:

Kenneth

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,273 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by laseralex

Flashing green means that it is ready to be set up (for a wifi connection).

When you open the wifi settings on your mobile device, you should see a wireless network with the name of Essence xxxxx (or alike).

Connecting to this you get access to the internal web server of the Essence (= the place where you make settings). Here you can enter the credentials of your own wifi....in the app.

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/mediaV3/Files/user-guides/beosound-essence/35112941404multiUGBeoSoundEssencewebV11.pdf

Please let the device update to the latest sw version, before you start using it.

Just for the record, is your Essence a first or second generation?

P.S. Did you use the Bang & Olufsen app?

MM

Kenneth Lindholm
Not Ranked
Denmark
11 Posts
Bronze Member

I know that it means its ready to be set up, but the app says wait up to 2 minutes for the Essence to go from white to orange, and that never happens.

My Essence is Generation 1.

I can not update the Essence, because it won't connect via the app.

Without a ethernet cable from the router to the Essence, it can only flash green... If I put the cable in, then after a short time it is solid white, and then I can play music.

So it only works cabled, not with wifi ?

Kenneth

Kenneth Lindholm
Not Ranked
Denmark
11 Posts
Bronze Member

Maybe there is something wrong with their new app ?

The old version, was just like the manual, and that worked.

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
611 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Stan replied on Fri, Mar 15 2019 11:59 AM
Verified by Kenneth Lindholm

I'm with MM on this one.  It sounds like it has lost / forgotten it's wifi configuration, and needs to be reconfigured.

If the app is not recognizing the Essence, I wonder if you can still talk to it via web?  Wasn't there an HTTP URL one could use to talk to the Essence?  Or am I getting it confused with the NL/ML converter.

If you can't get wifi to work, then it would seem like the power line ethernet (turns your electrical wires into ethernet cables) would be an option (as suggested above) or, worse case (but probably cheaper than buying Cores) would be use a wifi extender with an ethernet port - I had my Essence connected to an airport express like this for a while when it was having wifi problems - it's wifi problems disappeared when I upgraded my wifi).

Stan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,273 Posts
Bronze Member

kenet7:

The old version, was just like the manual, and that worked.

’....and that worked

Does this mean, that you can access the Essence now?

By the way, my Playmaker is accessible in the (new) Bang & Olufsen, so why shouldn’t your Essence 1 gen. not be.

You will have to push the small wheel icon at the top, where the products are shown.

From there you can reach the products (your Essence) and this way come to the configuration page - you can enter the wifi credentials there too.

MM

Kenneth Lindholm
Not Ranked
Denmark
11 Posts
Bronze Member

YEAHHHHH it worked via web (192.168.1.1)

I have just talked to B&O, and they confirmed that's the only way to set up and Essence gen.2 to wifi.

The new app doesn't work.

Jesper Meyer from their support helped me, and he was so nice to talk to.... But Stan you actually came up with the solution first :-D 

Im so happy now.... 3 months without music, is a loooooong time :-O 

/Kenneth

Kenneth Lindholm
Not Ranked
Denmark
11 Posts
Bronze Member

The only way to access an Essence Gen.1 is via web.

The new app doesn't work at all for set up.... But web did, and Im good to go YAY ! ;-)

B&O also confirmed for 30 min ago, that the app do not work with Essence gen.2.

Im very happy with your help, thank you very much.

Have the nicest weekend :-)

/Kenneth

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL