rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 79 Replies | 0 Followers

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,599 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher posted on Sun, Mar 10 2019 12:24 PM

As an old timer, I remember Beoworld not only being very informative but also a really fun place to post and generally hang out!

Sadly (and I say this with great regret) the "fun" element seems to have gone - have the fun people left and if so why? - have, in general, internet forums moved on to be inhabited by dry, PC types? - have the Beoworld old guard lost interest and faith in the new products or company (please differentiate in replies)? In short, what has happened to my favourite forum?

Ban boring signatures!

All Replies

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,599 Posts
Bronze Member

9 LEE:
Anyway...  enough of that.  How could we inject more fun into BeoWorld?  Any suggestions?  I'm up for it... Smile

We could always post pictures of any fellow members we know wearing lime green, overly small jogging apparel?Laughing

There used to be awards here for the most entertaining posters,  now i guess it would be for the most offendedSad

Ban boring signatures!

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
899 Posts
Gold Member

Jeff:

I don't think you're getting too grumpy Lee. Accurate in noticing the state of the world, absolutely, there's a lot wrong, especially in the online world. Getting old? I don't know, do you sit outside and tell kids "your music sucks and get off my lawn!"??? Big Smile

I do this and I am in my early 30's lol So it can't be actual age :p

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
740 Posts
Gold Member
I think the social role of forums in general seems to be changing. That “in the moment” conversational nature in a format that is documented but is used by people who have their identity hidden. The wider spread use of social media and the responsibility of having your face/name/family/etc be known in association with your comments keeps things nicer while people who are drawn to anonymity (like YouTube commenters) are known for showing the worst side of humanity.

I think it makes those of us who like forums behave extra nice so we aren’t seen as another anonymous a**hole who is just out there to troll and build fragile egos. The B&O fan Facebook fan groups and similar are more fun and spontaneous but are near useless to use a reference resource.
Evan
Top 25 Contributor
Germany
3,582 Posts
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 10:08 PM

Puncher:

Millemissen:

The forum needs a jester - who’d like to volunteer 🤪

MM

We had several, who, alas, have all disappeared!Sad

I don't doubt for a second that Andy would volunteer! 

Life circumstances have made me reduce my collection and my hobby in general terms.. Not so much time (or space) to spend on over-hauling BeoGear like I used to and that leads to less time on the forum for me.

Beo4 'til I die!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,492 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 10:17 PM

Don't click if you don't have a sense of humor:

Duckman

Big Smile

P.S. If anyone thinks actually having your name known makes people behave better has never really looked at Twitter or Facebook.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,310 Posts
Gold Member

My wife when I buy a new vintage object, no translation needed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVCOvRWYUA

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
740 Posts
Gold Member
Jeff:

Don't click if you don't have a sense of humor:

Duckman

P.S. If anyone thinks actually having your name known makes people behave better has never really looked at Twitter or Facebook.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus.

Maybe I’m more cynical than you Jeff, I I believe those people on social media are being better behaved than if they were anonymous. Our current President included Sad
Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
418 Posts
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 11:51 PM

Lost interest in the hobby, plus I pretty much had everything I wanted. So I vanished, while I was gone I hooked up with an old friend from my time in the U.S. Marines, who had retired from the airlines and moved back to the neighborhood of his childhood. He convinced me to come visit and now I am spending most of my free money and winters hanging out in the Philippines.

and yes I have plenty photos to prove it

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,492 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Mar 11 2019 12:00 AM

I don't know, I think it'd be hard to be more cynical than I am. Plus, believing people would behave better if not anonymous is optimistic I think. But given the kind of nutters running around lose online, anonymity has its advantages. For example, anyone creepily obsessive enough to keep an ongoing list over a couple of years of everything you said about them they didn't like is just likely to be obsessive enough to show up on your doorstep if they could figure out where you lived. Which is likely to turn out fatal for at least one person, if not both.

BTW, RIcardo, I've always loved your avatar. One of too few people who remember that show.

Jeff

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
418 Posts
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Mon, Mar 11 2019 12:18 AM

I still watch it. Good campy fun. I had naughty feelings for Lt. Ellis. I think I was 11 or 12 when they aired it in Indianapolis on Saturday afternoons

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,492 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Mar 11 2019 12:34 AM

I think I was about 13 or so when I saw it, and yeah, she haunted my adolescent dreams! Stick out tongue

There were several things about it though that were ahead of its time though. The aliens being in oxygenated liquid to increase their G tolerance for one. The harvesting of human organs for transplants for another. And they were fairly dark at times, the one where an alien sniper shot out the window of the moon station causing people to be spaced. I did love the purple hair.

Interestingly enough, the TV show The Expanse (originally a SyFy channels show) had a Belter (a person born and raised in microgravity in the asteroid belt) being tortured by being subjected to full 1 G Earth gravity, finally the UN powers that be stopped it and they kept him in a tank full of water with a breathing mask. The movie Event Horizon had the crew get into liquid filled capsules before a high G boost. So, UFO was ahead of its time.

Jeff

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
418 Posts
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Mon, Mar 11 2019 12:38 AM

loved the car phones and the moonbase silver miniskirts

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
864 Posts
Gold Member
Re Syfy shows: I watched The German show “Raumpatrouille”

Re fun: I am missing the Wedthread, which was partly drowned in too much alcohol...

Peter the biker

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,354 Posts
Silver Member
vikinger replied on Mon, Mar 11 2019 10:53 AM

Peter the Biker:
Re Syfy shows: I watched The German show “Raumpatrouille”

Re fun: I am missing the Wedthread, which was partly drowned in too much alcohol...

I think that the Wedthred was successful when there was more than a critical mass of participants ( with the necessary sense of humour!) The numbers dropped.... and for me, once jandyt (Andy) started taking more interest in checking his dustbin for dog poop bags dropped by passing dog walkers than posting on the Wedthred, the writing was on the wall.

Graham

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,599 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Mar 11 2019 11:25 AM

Ahhh,  the Wedthred - some of the funniest conversations I've had happened on Wednesdays! I remember with fondness the pipe organ constructed entirely from Giraffes complete with a dancing giant Halibut!Huh?

Ban boring signatures!

Page 3 of 6 (80 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL