rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 78 Replies | 0 Followers

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,477 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher posted on Sun, Mar 10 2019 12:24 PM

As an old timer, I remember Beoworld not only being very informative but also a really fun place to post and generally hang out!

Sadly (and I say this with great regret) the "fun" element seems to have gone - have the fun people left and if so why? - have, in general, internet forums moved on to be inhabited by dry, PC types? - have the Beoworld old guard lost interest and faith in the new products or company (please differentiate in replies)? In short, what has happened to my favourite forum?

Ban boring signatures!

All Replies

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,294 Posts
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 12:32 PM

Some of us are still here, but feeling just like you!

I do remember, in the old days, some posters objecting to the 'fun' or slightly off topic threads, and such threads have now for the most part gone.

Now we have endless problem product threads, reflecting product quality and frustrated buyers of both new and classic used. The classic used products are now getting so old that they are breaking down at an increased frequency, just like the new software based stuff.

Graham

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,695 Posts
Bronze Member

Probably all the fun has gone to Facebook.........depending on ones definition of fun.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,477 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 12:34 PM

Millemissen:

Probably all the fun has gone to Facebook.........depending on ones definition of fun.

MM

Is Facebook fun!?ConfusedErm..

Ban boring signatures!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,477 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 12:41 PM

vikinger:

Some of us are still here, but feeling just like you!

I do remember, in the old days, some posters objecting to the 'fun' or slightly off topic threads, and such threads have now for the most part gone.

Now we have endless problem product threads, reflecting product quality and frustrated buyers of both new and classic used. The classic used products are now getting so old that they are breaking down at an increased frequency, just like the new software based stuff.

Graham

I wouldn't profess to know the answer but I can't help feeling we've shifted from a "loving, fun, family community" to a dry, soulless, spec-quoting site where somehow, ownership is more important than what the brand is/was/stood for.

Ban boring signatures!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,695 Posts
Bronze Member

Puncher:

Don’t know....never been there 🙄

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,695 Posts
Bronze Member

The forum needs a jester - who’d like to volunteer 🤪

MM

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,477 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 12:53 PM

Millemissen:

Puncher:

Don’t know....never been there 🙄

MM

Me Neither - ever!Laughing - I'm proud to say!

Ban boring signatures!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,477 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 12:54 PM

Millemissen:

The forum needs a jester - who’d like to volunteer 🤪

MM

We had several, who, alas, have all disappeared!Sad

Ban boring signatures!

DMacri
Top 150 Contributor
United States
660 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 1:02 PM
It seems hard to get behind some of the latest products, so that has a damping effect of the brand enthusiasts. Complaining takes center stage and the joy exits to wait in the wings.

Aside from Geoff’s brilliant aspirational Beolab designs, we seem to be lacking a product with all the magic of previous designs that seem to be built to last.

It feels like the frustration is causing some of the fantastic long time members to get dragged into endless fighting with each other.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,291 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 4:34 PM

I think it's a combination of declining interest due to the decline in quality and aspirational characteristics of the products, along with the kind of intolerant, creeping PC that seems to be infecting too many online communities. Some people take things far too seriously, and there are people here who are intolerant of any pointing out of B&O's problems, so much a fanboi that they can't abide discussion of the issues. I can kind of grok that, I at one time was as  big a fan of B&O as anyone, and I have a long list of B&O gear I own to prove it, but I can see when the emperor is nekkid.

The only real threads of interest to me anymore are the ones repairing and restoring old gear. The threads with what appear to be endless problems with this new product or that latest software update just make me shake my head and wonder whatever happened to my beloved B&O. I may not be restoring the item that's being worked on in an old product thread, but I read them anyway and learn a great deal.

I have a few other thoughts, but I'd best keep them to myself lest I upset anyone too much. Whistle

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,245 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher:

We had several, who, alas, have all disappeared!

Ban boring signatures!

It’s a shame you aren’t on Facebook. Paul Wynn’s page is a corker, you’d loveErm..

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,245 Posts
Bronze Member

Member PaulW's Facebook profile should not be displayed without his permission.

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
597 Posts
Gold Member

We try to keep it fun and lighthearted over on the BeoTalk podcast/thread/youtube. There is still much potential and I personally like the community still. I feel that people though don't necessarily take it too seriously, but it seems that a lot of people (everywhere) take everything personally nowadays. But it might just be me :p either way, it's still fun to have fun and I appreciate this forum a lot!

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,182 Posts
Gold Member

Yes the fun is gone, the heated discussions disappeared, the off topic remarks gone. for me the interest in new products disappeared with a functional on/off button. I started on the forum about 10 years ago and at the same time started my first repairs of old gear, at that time we could have 10 or more ongoing threads in the workbench where members from all over the globe was helping out, where we more often  than not, went off topic until one of the moderators got us back again. Today we are lucky to find one (1) thread about vintage equipment repair or restore, most only the member doing a write up of his work, barely a remark or question about it, help is still there but slower and from fewer members, where we in the good old days Laughing got help nearly online and from a lot more members. We had long threads about which components were the best and where to buy them, also different repair procedures were discussed, the old guard is still there but mostly only reading, so maybe we are getting too old, and no new ones are coming. Today as I write this I am considering if I will renew my gold membership, running out on Mars 27,  or not which I never even thought about before.

Jeff please share your other thoughts so someone get upset

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Page 1 of 6 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL