Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

YouTube video with John at B&O Manchester - any questions?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,339 Posts
Gold Member
Steve at Sounds Heavenly posted on Fri, Mar 1 2019 11:00 AM

Hi Beoworlders,

John and I will be putting together a joint YouTube video in the next week or so from the Manchester store, with the aim of combining his encyclopedic knowledge of the current B&O products and my background on connecting classic B&O items.

We would be interested to know if there are any questions that you may have about using and connecting B&O products, or suggestions for topics that we should cover?

All ideas received with interest! Whistle

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

All Replies

Björn
Not Ranked
Kiel
16 Posts
Bronze Member
Hello Steve,

maybe how to connect a BeoSound Core with BeoLab 5 by powerlink without having „white noise“-sound in background. This is a problem which nobody could solve in the past. Maybe you have a good solution to solve this... Big Smile

Have a nice weekend...

b2fast
kmspurway
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

how about :

"light" controls on a bluetooth remote 1 - preset button?

advanced hints and tips about turntables - via core into NL and then onto ML rooms (Steve - you supplied with the pre-amp kit for this so it all works - but there's no remote capability etc / anything else that i might not be aware of or could have fun with etc in this type of set up?)

is it possible to add in an oldish 5500 system to a NL / ML household?

connecting Windows pc to speakers / Passive kit & speakers

PLUS some standard B&O questions:

the apps available (or lack of) on the android tv system on the horizon tvs

album cover artwork option on the app for searching through music 

pjk561
Top 500 Contributor
71 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi,

I'd like to know about connecting the old IR receivers which had stereo/other plugs to the newer RJ45 IR inputs such as found on the Beosystem 4.

My Situation - Years ago I had the AV7000 external IR receiver mounted in the wall and would like to be able to connect it to the Beosystem 4. I'm not concerned about auto contrast in fact the B&O IR receiver I use with the Beosystem 4 doesn't have the auto contrast.

Others may have similar situations.

Thanks,

Pat

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
1,339 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks guys,

The BeoLab 5 to Core connection will be a good one for the video, as there are a couple of solutions to this - either a simple cable can let you use the speakers in Line mode, or an optical to co-axial digital converter will allow connection via the digital inputs to the speakers. 

The circuit design of the IR receivers has changed several times over the years, so the older versions won't generally work with more recent products.  Generally, changing the IR receiver is the best option.

Please drop me a line via my sponsor link below for more information on any of these ideas, I will add these to the list of things to cover in the video next week (time permitting!)  Please keep the ideas coming!

Thanks, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

pjk561
Top 500 Contributor
71 Posts
Bronze Member

I also wanted to mention that B&O Masterlink RJ45 distribution boxes have recently been available on the US eBay website.

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
597 Posts
Gold Member
Is it possible to connect a beogram to the eclipse? And if so how do you do it and can you then still use the eclipse’ speaker presets?Big Smile

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Robin
Not Ranked
Nrw
42 Posts
Bronze Member
Robin replied on Sat, Mar 2 2019 12:07 AM
Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

We would be interested to know if there are any questions that you may have about using and connecting B&O products, or suggestions for topics that we should cover?

All ideas received with interest!

Kind regards, Steve.

Hey there,

I think that this is just a great idea.

Personally I really would be interested in the “magic“ of a ml/nl converter.

I don’t know how it’s to be set up, and not really informated what is possible, what it’s capable of. I have a beocenter 2 and would like to combine it with other products like an a6 or Beoound core.. how can it be controlled and so on.

The other thing I’d love to keep up would be a continuation of the b&o product stories part three. With equipment of the yesteryears.

What ever you will come up with will be appreciated. Maybe a skinny play competition between Jenny and Richard?

Looking forward to that video Cool
beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,379 Posts
Silver Member

Something to consider:

Could there be a solution so that center channel speakers (such as the BeoLab 10) and subwoofers (such as the BeoLab 2) that do not have a selector switch for L/R channel do not have to occupy both channels of an available powerlink socket? Or, could Sounds Heavenly provide a cable to isolate just either a left or right channel to feed to these speakers?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
1,339 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks guys,

Yes, Michael's idea of connecting a Beogram directly to the Eclipse is a superb one to cover - this is proving to be very popular and that will be a good one for the video.  Older Beograms (without RIAA) need a pre-amp, but a simple cable can be used for newer Beograms.  All the usual speaker settings on the TV can be used as normal, as the Beogram connects via the 3.5mm L/R In socket on the TV.

I am interested in beojeff's idea about selecting just one channel for centre speakers and subwoofers - we often make cables for this to allow a pair of Beolab 7-4s work in stereo.  What other situations are you thinking of please beojeff?  I can then look into this further for you.

NL/ML Converter is a good product, but I must admit that a lot of the requests I get involve avoiding the use of this converter, due to the high cost!  In many cases, the required connections are possible from old to new products without the converter, so this is certainly something that I will mention in the video.  The operation of the converter could be one for a future video.

Please keep the ideas coming!

Many thanks, Steve. 

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,695 Posts
Bronze Member

Probably more a thing for John than for you!

Differences in using the Core (or Essence 2nd) with a tv - 1: connected to and 2: integrated with.

A video would give a better opportunity to explain (read: show) this, than just a text, a post on the forum.

P.S. ok - you could use a simple Rj45/PL -> minijack/RCA for a connection, but that wouldn’t be very B&O-like as for controlling.

Can e.g. the BL20’s be used with a digitally connected (toslink) source AND be connected to a BV via PL?

How to use them this way?

That could be something to show in a video!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,379 Posts
Silver Member

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Thanks guys,

Yes, Michael's idea of connecting a Beogram directly to the Eclipse is a superb one to cover - this is proving to be very popular and that will be a good one for the video.  Older Beograms (without RIAA) need a pre-amp, but a simple cable can be used for newer Beograms.  All the usual speaker settings on the TV can be used as normal, as the Beogram connects via the 3.5mm L/R In socket on the TV.

I am interested in beojeff's idea about selecting just one channel for centre speakers and subwoofers - we often make cables for this to allow a pair of Beolab 7-4s work in stereo.  What other situations are you thinking of please beojeff?  I can then look into this further for you.

NL/ML Converter is a good product, but I must admit that a lot of the requests I get involve avoiding the use of this converter, due to the high cost!  In many cases, the required connections are possible from old to new products without the converter, so this is certainly something that I will mention in the video.  The operation of the converter could be one for a future video.

Please keep the ideas coming!

Many thanks, Steve. 

You and I had emailed about this some last summer. You had suggested that I connect the front and surround or rear speakers to the 2 BeoLab 2 subwoofers to free up powerlink sockets on my BeoSystem 4, but I didn't want to sacrifice having a true LFE channel. I would like to free up PL sockets on the BeoSystem 4 to add 2 more height speakers (I already have 2 height speakers). However, the Beolab 10 and the BeoLab 2 each take up both Left and Right channels on their respective sockets on the BeoSystem 4. It doesn't seem that the Beolab 10 or the BeoLab 2 actually NEED both left and right channels, however. That's why I thought it would be nice to have cables that can isolate the left or right channels from a powerlink socket on the BeoSystem 4 so that the other channel could be freed up for another speaker to use. Does that make sense?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
1,339 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks MM,

Yes, that is more an issue for John than for me, I will mention your request to him when I see him next week.

Hi beojeff,

Thanks for the reminder about this one.  Yes, we can get this working for you.  Basically, Beolab 2 and 10 speakers DO need both left and right channels to give best results, but there will be several things we can do to free up some more sockets for you.  This is quite a unique situation (surprisingly, not many people are using height speakers along with a full surround setup from the enquiries that I receive) so would you be willing to email me again with the full list of your speakers?

I can then sort out the best way to free up the extra sockets that you need.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,499 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Can e.g. the BL20’s be used with a digitally connected (toslink) source AND be connected to a BV via PL?

How to use them this way?

That could be something to show in a video!

MM

That is a good idea...and one that does work perfectly. I have my BV7 connected to BL20s by Power Link and a Core connected by toslink to the 20s.

If there is a way to do something similar with Beolab 1s, I would like to see that. It works with the 20s as the inputs are ranked in priority, such that power link will have priority over the toslink, but the BL1s have no such feature. I have BL1s connected to a BV10. I would like to add a Core to the 1s. The simple way is to connect it to the Aux In of the connected Beosound 3000, but then of course using the app will not turn the 1s on. I have wondered about connecting the BV10 to one power link on a BL1, and a Core to the second power link, on the 1, and then  a power link to the second BL1. Or maybe BV10 to BL1, and Core to the second BL1, then a power link connecting the two BL1s.  Seems like that would allow the Core to activate the BL1s as well as the BV10 activating them. It would be a problem if both were activated at the same time, unlike with the 20s which will then default to the power link input over the toslink.. I am not sure what would happen if both were activated at the same and do not want to damage something finding out. But if there is a way to make it work, it would be very nice.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
1,339 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Razlaw,

Thanks for this.  Unfortunately, older speakers like Beolab 1 can only have one input device connected at once, otherwise you can experience noise problems.  The TV is usually the best device to link to the speakers, as this way you will get surround sound when using the speakers for movies, then the Core and 3000 can link to the TV to share the speakers via the TV.

However,  if you need direct access to the Core via the app, then connecting the Core between the TV and the speakers may be the best option.  Please feel free to get in touch via my sponsor link below with full details of your setup and other speakers, then I will be pleased to help you to find the best solution.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL