Tonearm parallelism mystery

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 6 Replies | 0 Followers

ncklln
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
ncklln posted on Wed, Feb 20 2019 10:30 PM

Hi folks. New member and new B&O owner here. Just bought a Beocenter 5000 and some Beovox speakers (like my Dad had when I was a kid!) which needed quite a lot of TLC, and I'm just setting up the turntable.

I have the service manual, and up till now it’s been relatively straightforward. I’ve got it to drop the arm at the right place, and set the tracking weight correctly etc.

However it still sounds a bit distorted. The arm rotation (parallelism) looks off to me, and the adjustment screw that they talk about in the manual doesn’t exist (see images). Can anyone shed any light on how to adjust this?

I have searched the forum, but couldn’t find any mention of it - apologies if it has been covered or is a stupid question!

Thanks in advance for any help,

Nick

from the manual...

my tonearm....

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,290 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by ncklln

ncklln:
It had occurred to me that I could just pop on a spanner and twist, but it seemed too brutal for such a delicate bit of kit.

You will have to grip the arm tight with 2 fingers, loosen the screw (it is a screw with hexagonal head) then adjust the parallelism, grab the arm again and tighten the screw, do not over tighten.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,919 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Feb 22 2019 9:21 AM

The screw is right there in plain view in your photo.
The hexagonal thing that the manual points to.

Martin

trackbeo
Top 500 Contributor
210 Posts
Bronze Member

As a newbie I was confused too,and even Martin's answer was unhelpful -- not intentionally, for how does one state the obvious -- but I looked at your pictures for a good 3 minutes and still couldn't figure what he meant...  Don't look for some tiny set-screw with a hex-head inset --  rather, a portion of the tube *itself* is the screw (or has a tailpiece with threads).  Apparently you actually wrench on the tube, where it changes from cylindrical to hexagonal prism (and back again). 

ncklln
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
ncklln replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 4:59 PM

Ohhh - Not a screw in the traditional sense of the word then! Thanks. It had occurred to me that I could just pop on a spanner and twist, but it seemed too brutal for such a delicate bit of kit.

Will give it a go...

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,290 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by ncklln

ncklln:
It had occurred to me that I could just pop on a spanner and twist, but it seemed too brutal for such a delicate bit of kit.

You will have to grip the arm tight with 2 fingers, loosen the screw (it is a screw with hexagonal head) then adjust the parallelism, grab the arm again and tighten the screw, do not over tighten.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

ncklln
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
ncklln replied on Sun, Feb 24 2019 10:06 PM

Søren Mexico:

Thank you very much for the advice, will attempt it tomorrow!

ncklln
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
ncklln replied on Sat, Mar 16 2019 6:41 PM

Thanks again for your advice, I managed to correct the parallelism. However records still sound a little distorted - is there a way of setting the anti-skate mechanism, if I don't have the B&O test record (or an oscilloscope)?

Also, I have looked at many stylus pictures on the net trying to work out if mine is worn or not, but just can't tell. Any experts out there who can tell from these pics?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL