Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beosound 9000 Mk1 with multiple issues

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 33 Replies | 1 Follower

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member
dave_n_s posted on Sun, Feb 3 2019 2:36 AM

I've got a bit of a challenge on my hands with a Beosound 9000 Mk 1 that has cosmetic and functional issues.

I own a lot of B&O audio of my own (full system 5500, Penta II's, Beosound 2000, multiple remotes all in active use plus other stuff in my refurb queue) and have refurbished a lot of 5500 components and older as part of my retirement gig.

This 9000 came onto my plate in my other role - I volunteer evaluating and repairing audio equipment for my local hospice thrift store. This is a donation and my task is to maximise the return for our hospice.

Cosmetics first - one of the hinges for the control flap is broken at the bottom, not an issue functionally I think, and the glass has separated from the metal bracket it should be glued to at the right end (below the control panel). This may need fixing to get CD loading working correctly. Is that true?

Electronics: Powered up with nothing connected. Time displayed. Pressed red button at top of row of CD  buttons: CD6 displayed. I can also get other CD slot numbers displayed by pressing the button adjacent to that slot. Nothing else happens. The internal control panel has no effect, changing source or Power / stby etc. My Beo4 has no effect.

I'd bet that the door belt if there is one needs replacement, however I'd also expect to hear a door opening motor running when I press the row of buttons on the side, but I don't.

I can connect my Penta IIs via 7 pin DINs if that is needed to prod this guy into action. The reference manual does not say connections are needed for basic operation, but some forum posts state it is. 

What should the next troubleshooting step be, to at least diagnose what is amiss?

Beat in mind that my goal is to maximise value for the hospice. I'm equipped with everything needed to troubleshoot analog electronics  (scope, DVM etc), but not practiced in the digital side of things. 

My usual plan is to evaluate functionality and estimate value as-is and refurbished and then decide if it's most cost-effective to repair or sell as-is with a good description of my findings.

All Replies

pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
85 Posts
Gold Member

First thing would be to connect a pair of speakers using the powerlink cables first. Preferably a pair of beolabs. It doesn't do much without them connected.

After that hopefully the control panel should operate all the features, if not get a beo4 remote and make sure it's in option 1 which is the factory setting for this unit

Bill Briscoe
Not Ranked
Chicago, IL USA
38 Posts
Gold Member

Have you tried to re-seat the control panel?  You may want to put it in both directions to see if you can get any response. The unit will default to option 0 with no speakers connected, however, you can reset it to option 1 with a remote. You will have to reset it each time you power cycle the unit during testing.

The control panel cable became unplugged once when one of my units was in transit. Some disassembly was required to plug it in again.

The glass door must be in the proper position for it to try and operate so try to get it lined up just right, and don't try to open it without fully supporting the glass on the right side where it has separated. This will be tricky.

Good luck!

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you

Reseating has got the internal panel to cooperate a little.

I've confirmed my Beo4 is set to Option 1 and the CD mechanism is set for flat on a table.

I've plugged in headphones, which according to the reference manual is sufficient to obtain cooperation.

The radio is working as it should, entirely under the control of the internal panel

I think I'm getting closer to what is happening with the 

Here's a sequence of events:

- Placed a CD in slot 3 (the powered lifter is the one that is unglued so nothing forced.)

- Press big red power button.

- Time displayed

- Pressed CD load button. Door lifter operated. Pressed again. It closed. Still time only displayed

- Pressed the button  next to CD 3. Dots displayed by each. CD 3 displayed on carriage and moves to slot 3. "jaws" open & CD drops. after a moment or two time displayed on carriage. If I do nothing else after a little while longer carriage returns to slot 1, or it would if it wasn't contacting the cover (I think) More on the cover later.

- Press red button on internal control, carriage returns to slot 1. Then CD on internal control and straight to slot 3, then time displayed. Press OK, CD3, Press Pause "CD3 Pause" Press Pause, OK, "CD3 0:00"

but no sign of the CD mechanism spinning 

Re the glass cover. It is always touching the center disc of the CD carriage. There are two small glass pins that look like they are intended to support it, but either the carriage is in the wrong position vertically (compared to the cover) or there are things missing on top of those glass pins.

And the known good remote is not getting anything to happen with either option 1 or 0 selected.

Recommended next steps please

Schletti82
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

Is the glas put back on?

otherwise the cd player Would not work like it should.

the two plastic peaces on the aluminium plate are very important.

these are the optocoplers for the fingerprotection of the cd player.

first clean them.

most important is to fix the glasdoor. 9000 Will Not work correct without it.

than when this is done you have to do testmodes for cd.

after the testmodes for cd if the cd Will Not Play Laser is defekt.

replace Laser and do testmodes again.

You can Build a dummy instead of boxes.

shortcut Pin 2 and 4 on a Powerlink.

doesn‘t matter which one.

beo4 Will work now

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member

SChletti82, Thank you.

The glass is stiil attached at the left side. I have been holding it in place on the right side while testing. I think I will temporarily stick it back with double sided tape while troubleshooting the CD.

I have checked the optical sensor plastic - dark pieces at CD 1 and CD 6 positions? - they are clean

I will make a shorting plug so that I can use the remote.

Where are the test modes described?

I agree that the CD may be bad. 

The jaws do open so a CD drops down, but it displays 0:00 and nothing spins.

Does it check for a good laser before spinning the CD?

My biggest problem is why the glass is touching the CD carriage. 

Does that mean that someone has already been working on this and made a mistake putting it back together?

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member

deleting duplicate

Schletti82
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

I´m from Germany, so it is really hard to explain in english for. But I do my best ;-)

First try to fix the glas. best way is to use window glue like it is used for car windows.

Put a little bit on the old glue and press the metall holder in it.

Put it away during the night. Next day it is dried out.

Now to the problem with the glass touching the CD carriege.

when you open the aluminium plate to get to the controlpanel you will find a litte hole on the left side.

there is a imbuss screw inside.

same on the other side with the fixed plate. there you have to try to put a small screwdriver from the right side below the plate and lift it abit.

Same time push it to the right an it gets loosen.

there is the other small hole on the right side with the screw.

there you can adjust the sitting of the glass.

try to get the glass parallel to the aluminium plate were the cd`s sit in.

hopefully fingerprotection is still working, otherwise you`ll need an oscilloscope.

but first we hope it is still in function.

when the glass is glued and put back on and the sitting is correct you have to add on shift on your beo 4 remote.

now you have to conect a beolab speaker or shortcut pin 2 and 4 of a poiwerlink conector.

power up the beosound.

select shift on your remote and press  9 0 2 5 8 within 4 seconds

beosound will show testmode on.

now select cd and press 7 1 (fast) cd´s must be loeded in position 2,3,4,5,6 not in 1

testmode runs and open and closes the glass and will try to find every cd position.

if testmode is ok the display will show testmode ok.

after that go to cd 2 directly on the beosound 9000 without using your remote control and press fast 7 3

now CD starts spinning and laser trys to find focus.

if  testmode is correct display will show apps adjusted.

now you can shutdown your beosound and it should work again.

if testmodes fail, you will have to remove the laser from the cd player.

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member

Schletti82 , Thank you again. 

I've temporarily fixed the glass using 3M double sided tape until I get the right glue. I only have epoxy and superglue (cyanoacrylate). With the glass fixed, the glass does not touch the CD sledge. One problem solved.

I soldered a link between pins 2 and 4 on an 8 pin din and installed it in the Beosound. My Beo4 has no control of the Beosound. It doesn't control radio / CD, volume, power / standby.

I added SHIFT to the LIST options and pressed SHIFT 90258. The Beosound does not show it is going into test mode. Also I noted that as soon as I pressed 9, the display on the Beo4 changed back to Radio.

I checked that the opto sensors stopped the sledge before it trapped a finger at slots 1 and 6. The slege slowed, but did not stop.

I am 100% sure the Beo4 is good - I use it every day with a Beosound 2000. It is an older one without a DVD key.

What do you suggest next please?

Danke Schon

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member

deleting duplicate

Peter
Top 500 Contributor
Siemianowice Sl., Poland
67 Posts
Bronze Member
Peter replied on Fri, Feb 8 2019 11:32 AM

If your Beo4 has no control maybe you connected pins 2 and 5 as the pin description is from the side of wiring. Nevertheless you may try to switch into A.OPT 1 on your Beo4 by pressing Off + LIST then go to Option choose A.Opt and press 1. You should see LED blinked once on BS9000 meaning that it had switched into that option

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,460 Posts
Founder

Pin 2-4 for the plug.

But try first whether it responds to the A-opt 1 instruction. The led has to blink once with or without the powerlink used.

Programming the A-option gives you instantly the status about the IR-receiver. These receivers fails often.

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks all!

Idiot trouble I'm afraid.....

Shorting plug wasn't properly seated. Rather sad as I'm from UK and have owned B&O equipment using DINs since I bought my first Beolit in the very early 70's. 

Anyway the good news is that the remote will switch between CD & Radio and power off, so it's working. 

I then got it into testmode

Per Schletti82's advice.......

Testmode 71 passes OK.

Testmode 73 CD does not spin. I can hear a faint click about every 2 seconds from the CD mechanism. After a while display says "CD Error".

What is the next step? As I am working for a Hospice fund-raising team, I have to be very sure before I buy spares. 

All help much appreciated

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member

duplicate deleted.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,460 Posts
Founder

For TM73 you need a working/playing cd.