cross over frequency

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

BartS
Top 500 Contributor
115 Posts
Bronze Member
BartS posted on Fri, Feb 1 2019 6:47 PM

Perhaps someone is able to help me out with the following. I own a BV Horizon which is linked to four Beolab 3 speakers and a Beolab 11 subwoofer. I programmed various speaker set ups in the Horizon (film, stereo, double stereo, stereo without sub, etc.). One of these set ups is a stereo set up including the subwoofer. In the stereo set up I applied the bass management. The standard cross over frequency in the bass management menu is set at 120 Hz. Currently I have set the cross over frequency at 80 Hz as I have the impression that this setting makes the bass a bit more subtle (less overwhelming). Is there a kind of natural crossover frequency to be used for the Beolab 3?

All Replies

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
526 Posts
Bronze Member

HI,

The 120 Hz default is set in the Horizon to ensure that you can get the maximum possible bass when you turn up the volume. This decision was based on the maximum possible output of the loudspeakers across a range of frequencies below 250 Hz.

If you're not regularly pushing your system to its limits, then it's very possible - even likely - that a different crossover frequency will sound better in your particular configuration. However, the choice of crossover has more to do with your configuration and your room's acoustical behaviour than the loudspeakers. Personally, (assuming that I can't to a bunch of measurements) I tend to put the crossover as low as possible, and then gradually increase it (playing music with a decent amount of bottom end and "punch") until my overall preference starts to degrade (typically because things start to get "boomy"). I then drop the crossover until it sounds "best" (whatever that means - usually that "I like it most") and leave it there.

I know that this isn't really a simple answer - and not what you asked - but I'm afraid that there's no simple answer for this one.

Cheers

-geoff

BartS
Top 500 Contributor
115 Posts
Bronze Member
BartS replied on Thu, Feb 7 2019 6:59 AM

Hi Geoff, many many thanks for your response. I feel honored.Big Smile You exactly explain what I experience.

I hardly play louder than 40% of the maximum volume. If I stick to 120 Hz the bass in many types of music tends to be to present (it seems like the high frequencies and lower frequencies are not 100% in balance, the bass is - a little bit - to "boomy" as you describe it). When I lower the cross over frequency it gets better (although differences are subtle). Currently I raised the cross over frequency from 80 Hz to 100 Hz and I have the feeling that this sounds best for me in my set up. The punch in the lowest frequencies is there when needed and the regular/upper bass is not to present.

Your description lets me understand what happens and somehow I feel not hesitant to adjust the standard cross over settings anymore. Again many thanks! 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL