rated by 0 users
This post has 56 Replies | 2 Followers

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member
Millemissen Posted: Thu, Jan 10 2019 9:54 PM

The 20 years old building in Struer, (primarily) used for administration is now to be sold.

The last employers have already left there and have moved to the new facilities in the old Fabrik 4 nearby - called Innovation Lab.

This has been rebuilt and is now the home of pretty much any B&O activity in Struer (approx 550 people).

Even the CEO has his office (read: desk) there since a couple of months.

This is also where the new sound labs of the Acoustic Department and the BeoHome is.

As I was in Struer this fall for the annual general meeting, we did not ‘visit’ the Gården as in the years before,

so I already expected this to come.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Saxpy
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Saxpy replied on Thu, Jan 10 2019 10:01 PM

I remember my first visit to B&O to discuss my thesis with the guys in the video department, I got a tour and they were just almost done with the construction of Gården and I got a sneak peak... Those were the days... Wink

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Jan 10 2019 11:32 PM

When you say 'Bang & Olufsen - "Gården" - do you mean somewhere around 'The Farm' ?

I just 'Google Mapped' the address you gave, and it showed it as this... Sad

Lee

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member

@Lee

Yes, in danish we say Gården - since you ‘only english speaking’ guys can’t pronounce that, you have to call it the farm 😉

But that is it/The Farm - and honestly, I thought that the danish name is somewhat known amongst beoworlders.

MM

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,572
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Jan 11 2019 9:39 AM

Sad development. Here History! - Do you want to follow our visit to Bang & Olufsen in Struer Click here.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member

Why sad - selling a building, that you don’t need anymore, is better than keeping it.

Why pay for having an emplty estate.....just for the sake of nostalgia?

MM

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,318
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Fri, Jan 11 2019 10:50 AM

This is one of the reasons 'large' or established companies have such a difficult time adapting to changing or shrinking markets, and why very small flexible companies still growing can displace them from the market.

MM is right... you shouldn’t hold on to assets for sentimental reasons. However, the need to dispose of iconic assets is a symptom of there being something fundamentally wrong in how the company has developed in recent years.

Graham

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member

vikinger:

MM is right... you shouldn’t hold on to assets for sentimental reasons. However, the need to dispose of iconic assets is a symptom of there being something fundamentally wrong in how the company has developed in recent years.

Graham

You might be right on that one - but I think that depends on what you expect from the company.

However, one could also focus on the things that they gain by gathering all functions under one roof (in the modernized Fab 4) and not being stock with old structures in different locations.

When I think of the new rooms that the guys from the Acoustic Department have become there, I guess that they are quite pleased.

And maybe that again can turn into something that we/some of us may be pleased with as well?

I refuse to see things just negative and I am not nostalgic.

MM

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,431
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Fri, Jan 11 2019 1:26 PM

I have just taken early retirement from Ford and the famous UK HQ is due to be shut and the staff relocated to the site where I was based at the Design studio. This type of decision despite sentiment  is being made by many companies at the moment. Do the displaced B&O people have a new location?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,431
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Fri, Jan 11 2019 1:28 PM

I meant to ask if the new location for the B&O employees is as photogenic as the old "farm" building?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

McRib
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
McRib replied on Fri, Jan 11 2019 2:04 PM

so, just to chime in here, that awesome glass building that was built around 98/99 is now being emptied? i still have the original literature they sent out detailing the architecture of that building. i really liked the glass floored hall way--

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Little Ann, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 5,152
Founder

There are some good pictures HERE from the last Beoworld visit in 2012

Regards Keith....

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member

Simonbeo:

I meant to ask if the new location for the B&O employees is as photogenic as the old "farm" building?

No, certainly not.

But that one was built, when there was plenty of money to spend on these things.

I’d say the new location are rather plain, pragmatic and non-spectacular - after all it is a work place.

The important thing is what is going on inside.

https://foursquare.com/v/bang--olufsen-rd-innovation-labs/5a0dc77e64c8e11593bd675d

The BeoHome is located here - some of which you can see in this video:

https://youtu.be/Qrwb2DXAqcQ

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member

Keith Saunders:

There are some good pictures HERE from the last Beoworld visit in 2012

6 years ago - maybe it’s time for another visit....or not!

MM

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 420
Bronze Member

Sad moment.

Glad that I had the pleasure of visiting it in 2006 together with a tour in the factory with Ronny Kaas Mortensen.

Karel.

mr_anders_son
Top 50 Contributor
sweden
Posts 1,529
Founder
Sad!

Been there twice!

BeoVision Eclipse 55"...BeoLab 18 as FRONT....BeoLab 4000 as REAR....BL19 SUB....BV5 HD....Beoplay V1-40....BC6-26....Beosound 9000....BeoRemote One BT....Beo6....Beo4....Beo4 Cinema....BeoLink 7000....Serene....H8....H6 90´s Rose Gold edt....Form 1....U70...

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,248
Bronze Member

Is this the building they use in a lot of their promotional material?  

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member

Aussie Michael:

Is this the building they use in a lot of their promotional material?  

Yes!

MM

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,557
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Fri, Jan 11 2019 9:29 PM

what has happened to the sheep, relocated or given the chop?

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,370
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jan 12 2019 2:32 AM

Puncher:

what has happened to the sheep, relocated or given the chop?

Mutton at the company cafeteria for the next few months. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,248
Bronze Member
Jeff:

Mutton at the company cafeteria for the next few months.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

I was thinking the same. It’s like selling the family silver 😂
expoman
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Bronze Member
expoman replied on Sat, Jan 12 2019 5:38 AM

What company would buy this building?   

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Bronze Member
TWG replied on Sat, Jan 12 2019 6:41 AM

As a big B&O fan since decades it nearly hurts to see the company and their products degrading (especially on the software and reliability site) over such a long time.

They would be better off to "sell" their management and install someone who loves being a top manager AND has a passion for the brand. ;)

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,412
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Sat, Jan 12 2019 7:42 AM

Well, after years of "a life less ordinary" let's move to a life more ordinary then.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sat, Jan 12 2019 11:37 AM

Millemissen:

@Lee

Yes, in danish we say Gården - since you ‘only english speaking’ guys can’t pronounce that, you have to call it the farm 😉

My apologies for being English speaking. Unless you say " å " with three tongues and your teeth in your pocket, I'm sure we could manage it?! I'm not saying I could get much further than that, though. Geeked

My confusion was purely that it has always been referred to as 'The Farm' in any and all communication, both verbal and written, in person and on the internet from staff and even the public.  I do respect that the Danes have their own word for it, but sadly I was unaware.

The Farm (or correctly, Gården) to me is an iconic building. The design and construction is everything Bang & Olufsen stands for. It is SO Danish, so B&O, and it wows visitors. B&O needs the 'wow factor' - it's what the company was built on, wasn't it?

Whilst it was purely a business decision, and I understand that, I think it's taken away yet another unique element away from the brand. The Head Office is the Mother-Ship, the place you build from. Now it's some nondescript sheds and 90's looking office space. Not really something to be proud of...

Not sure who will buy the Gården, though. Struer isn't exactly rocking when it comes to business hubs, and there's so much land out there if you do want to build anything.

Soren
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Soren replied on Sat, Jan 12 2019 1:37 PM

9 LEE:

Millemissen:

@Lee

My apologies for being English speaking. Unless you say " å " with three tongues and your teeth in your pocket, I'm sure we could manage it?! I'm not saying I could get much further than that, though. Geeked

My confusion was purely that it has always been referred to as 'The Farm' in any and all communication, both verbal and written, in person and on the internet from staff and even the public.  I do respect that the Danes have their own word for it, but sadly I was unaware.

The Farm (or correctly, Gården) to me is an iconic building. The design and construction is everything Bang & Olufsen stands for. It is SO Danish, so B&O, and it wows visitors. B&O needs the 'wow factor' - it's what the company was built on, wasn't it?

Whilst it was purely a business decision, and I understand that, I think it's taken away yet another unique element away from the brand. The Head Office is the Mother-Ship, the place you build from. Now it's some nondescript sheds and 90's looking office space. Not really something to be proud of...

Not sure who will buy the Gården, though. Struer isn't exactly rocking when it comes to business hubs, and there's so much land out there if you do want to build anything.

think it’s always been referred as “Gården” in the Danish catalogues, and “The Farm” internationally.

The letter “Å”  is only used in the Scandinavian contries Denmark, Sweden and Norway.....

you don’t need three  tongues to pronounce it, but you are in great risk of damaging the one you have😉

“Gård” means Farm!!

“En Gård” means A Farm!! 

And  Gården means The Farm😊

That’s a little lesson in the strange Danish language🤔😀

Søren

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,572
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sat, Jan 12 2019 2:27 PM

B&O's drawing from before restoration of Innovation Lab Factory 4 in Struer.

/ Peter Pan

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,370
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jan 12 2019 4:17 PM

9 LEE:

Millemissen:

@Lee

Wonder what the Chinese word for Garden is? And is it hard to pronounce?

Jeff

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Bronze Member

Gården (danish) = Garten (in German) = farm (in english) :?

ngnear
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
ngnear replied on Sat, Jan 12 2019 7:12 PM
See previous thread...

“Gård” means Farm!!

“En Gård” means A Farm!!

And Gården means The Farm😊
9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,001
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sat, Jan 12 2019 8:08 PM

In English 'Garden' means somewhere you can sit outdoors for around 2-3 weeks a year in total... Indifferent

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member

Stereomensch:

Gården (danish) = Garten (in German) = farm (in english) :?

Gården (danish) = Hof/Hofstelle (in German) = farm (in englishj :!

Just because of a couple of sheep 😉

MM

Evan
Top 25 Contributor
Germany
Posts 3,579
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sun, Jan 13 2019 6:39 PM

I'm sure many of the employees gained a strong sense of pride in the company while working in that building.

Very sad, indeed. Sad because this building is strongly associated with the brand in my mind and something I always admired. One of those things you always expect to be around. As others have said - foundational.

I understand the business reasons behind the move (have personally experienced hard changes to an office) but this is one I definitely did not see coming. 

Beo4 'til I die!

OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
Posts 214
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Sun, Jan 13 2019 8:12 PM

MM

Without shepherd Cool

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones A8,A9 keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,370
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Jan 13 2019 8:43 PM

L

OldJack:

MM

Without shepherd Cool

Shepherd duties have been outsourced to China...

Jeff

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 796
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Mon, Jan 14 2019 3:08 PM

I guess it makes business sense but does seem a shame - bit like the decommissioning of BBC TV Centre which I worked in and used to be proud of the BBC as it was so iconic and part of their DNA. 

Can't help but compare the two - now the BBC churns out the odd good programme but on the whole it is just stuff to please the masses.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member

Jeff:

L

OldJack:

MM

Without shepherd Cool

Shepherd duties have been outsourced to China...

Remote controlled from there.....thanks to Huawei.

MM

AdamS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 243
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Tue, Jan 15 2019 8:17 PM

It is sad news to see the Farm going but, more importantly than that, what's the situation with the new Cube?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member

AdamS:

... the new Cube?

Which ‘new Cube’?

MM

AdamS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 243
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Tue, Jan 15 2019 10:11 PM

I’m sure I read a while back that there was a new ‘bigger and better’ Cube being built as the existing one is now part of Soundhub Denmark.

I might have imagined it, however...

Page 1 of 2 (57 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL