Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

Samsung 2019 TV's support AirPlay 2 and iTunes...

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 32 Replies | 2 Followers

jarnim
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member
jarnim posted on Sun, Jan 6 2019 9:32 PM

Pretty interesting:

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-smart-tvs-launch-itunes-movies-tv-shows-support-airplay-2-spring-2019/

The market seems to be so brutal that even Apple is apparently abandoning their AppleTV.

Sadly, it seems like this will be exclusively on Samsung for the time being...

All Replies

andybandy
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Bronze Member

BeoVision Eclipse have already airplay 2 support from november :) 

so thats is not exlusiv samsung tv. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,448 Posts
Bronze Member

Not quite the same.

On the named tv’s (from Samsung) this is a part of the tv software.

With the Eclipse it is part of the B&O provided streaming funcionallity (the Sound Center).

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

andybandy
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Bronze Member

And what the different?

Souncenter of the eclipse is the main part of the TV.. so IT support AirPlay 2:) work very good:) 

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
213 Posts
Gold Member
From the samsung press materiel it seems that Airplay is not only for sound but also for pictures and video which might be the first time Apple license others to do.

tigerisak
Top 500 Contributor
91 Posts
Bronze Member

Samsung will get Airplay 2 video support. So not the same at all andybandy.

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,663 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Mon, Jan 7 2019 1:52 PM

According to another press release from the CES, AirPlay 2 will also be supported by some other «big » brands (no brand cited precisely), but iTunes app is a Samsung exclusivity 

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,149 Posts
Bronze Member
Yes indeed, this is obviously a strategic move ahead of Apple launching it's video streaming see.

A big move as Apple tries to further build out its services division, and be less iPhone reliant.
mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,663 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Mon, Jan 7 2019 5:52 PM

So here we have the Airplay 2 (and HomeKit) brands announcements :

LG, Samsung and Vizio will be compatible

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,655 Posts
Bronze Member

tigerisak:

Samsung will get Airplay 2 video support. So not the same at all andybandy.

And this is pretty darned useful. Means you can stream from your iOS device to your TV. Your iPhone just becomes a handy visual remote.

Can't see Apple ditching their Apple TV though. Plenty of devices need that third-party support.

jarnim
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

@moxxey you are right, only (!) Samsung is getting to use that special app for iTunes video. It is quite another "hell froze over" moment for Apple fans... ;-) (remember iTunes for PC?). So it is indeed good to have Apple TV for the foreseeable future for other (and older than 2019!) TV (do not count on it for long, though!).

However, good to hear that other brands at least get the AirPlay video streaming. I can't wait to hear prices for the rollable LG OLED, that would definitely be my new TV, even though the base looks kind of big (but it is at the same time a fantastic soundbar, apparently).

Too bad Samsung is not up to par when it comes to picture quality. Oh, and I so wish B&O would at least continue to be a part of these new developments!!! :-( Even Sennheiser announced their new Soundbar...

#neweclipse

Greetings from Las Vegas! :-)

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
537 Posts
Gold Member
Samsungs new micro leds are something else though. Self emmisive too and they don’t really degrade, atleast not at the rate oled does. I wonder when the testing starts how much closer the gap is going to be now samsung is able to do full black/100% off and it’ll have a 100% coverage of the dcp3 colourspace in 4k at any luminance

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,018 Posts
Bronze Member

jarnim:
The market seems to be so brutal that even Apple is apparently abandoning their AppleTV.

:P Hardly.. But giving manufacturers the possibility to add AirPlay 2, Homekit and iTunes Store means advantages for Apple since for now most systems are easy to use with Android phones and not iOS devices due to the lack of AirPlay. Now they give TV manufacturers the possibility to add this, making a ecosystem with iOS devices and different TVs a simpler solution without cables. It also means people can now rent movies from iTunes store which of course is revenue making for Apple. More possibilities to rent out movies without having to buy a separate box. 

Apple TV is great but most TV´s are thin, and we already struggle to fit them inside our B&O TVs - since we neither want to see them. Im confident Apple will continue selling the Apple TV due to its amazing user interface, speed, smoothness and app support in the IOS world. This news is simply extra ways to stream, rent and to use homekit devices. I believe the HomeKit implementation will still require an Apple hub like Apple TV or an iPad, but HomeKit integration at least means that we will be able to turn our TVs on by our phone, apple watch or computer, or connected switches etc. That I believe is really, really cool! For example, today I use my GPS fence to turn the lights on depending on time of day when I come home, and turn off when I leave. Now this would be possible with the TV too. Either schedule or act on action. 

It is not exclusive for Samsung either, LG, Vizio, Sony etc has already promised support and more will certainly come. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,018 Posts
Bronze Member

https://www.apple.com/airplay/ is a good place for true information.

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,663 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, Jan 8 2019 10:06 AM

AirPlay 2+HomeKit support announced by Sony today on its future TVs.

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL