Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

The LG 2019 OLED gets WiSA-based wireless Dolby Atmos audio.

Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 777 Replies | 2 Followers

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Bronze Member
Peter Pan posted on Wed, Dec 12 2018 11:40 AM

For Home Entertainment Via LG’s 2019 Line-Up of OLED and Flagship UHD/LCD WiSA Ready TVs

Click here. - Click here.

LG TV line for March / April, these things get HOT. We write about LG 4K TVs 2019 lineups -
HDMI 2.1 - eARC system, - Audio accessories - WiSA. If you have news now, write. Thanks. Yes - thumbs up

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Bronze Member

@ BEOVOX141 - 

All Replies

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,570 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sun, Dec 16 2018 11:17 AM

Howzit:
Millemissen:

......And WiSA can be a convenient way of connecting a soundbar to a tv - no cables apart from the powercord.....no more no less!.....

Yes, other than power wires... they are wireless, of course. WhistleLaughingBig SmileWink

(Reminds me of all buzz about cutting the cord (digital cable) and going for Streaming services. Indeed, cutting the cord, other than the coaxial cord you literally need to bring the internet to the modem, the same coaxial cord that was always there for cable tv. Then paying more, for each subsequent streaming service, on top of an internet service provider)

I agree with you, this is the age of marketing and spin.

Still interesting to me though; is that if the main vehicle for this Atmos is a soundbar under the tv, why would one need the convenience of wireless (wireless other than power wires that is)?

Wouldn’t one just be able to use a very short wire from the tv just above it? Tucked along with the power wire the wireless speaker needs anyway?

Good Luck!

Ban boring signatures!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,040 Posts
Bronze Member

Howzit:

Still interesting to me though; is that if the main vehicle for this Atmos is a soundbar under the tv, why would one need the convenience of wireless (wireless other than power wires that is)?

Wouldn’t one just be able to use a very short wire from the tv just above it? Tucked along with the power wire the wireless speaker needs anyway?

That is exactly the point.

The processing of the (Atmos) sound takes place in the tv (because the LG tv’s can do that).

The soundbar is merely a combination of speakers (and some DSP stuff) in that case.

So the soundbar is not the ‘main vehicle for this Atmos’!

Since there is only one way of getting the processed sound signals from the LG tv - which is wireless (using the USB dongle),

You won’t need any cables....in fact you can not use a cable/a wire.

And....one powercord goes to the tv (maybe also a coax cable for rv signals) and another to the soundbar, because the speakers are active speakers.

This principle would be the same, if you had external speakers all around - only difference is that you would need a power cable for each speaker.

Sidenote: on an LG tv (this is similar on all other non-B&O tv) you can use one wire - either an SPDIF-out or a HDMI/RC for connecting to a soundbar.

SPDIF however would not allow for carrying the Atmos stream. HDMI/ARC could - but then the processing should take place in the soundbar.

And the whole point of having an LG tv with WiSA based wireless Dolby Atmos audio is to avoid this!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Bronze Member

Becomes LG Innotek concept a Wireless transmitter featuring USB 3.1 C SuperSpeed plus interface.
So the theoretical speed limit doubles from 5 to 10 Gbps, corresponding to 1,250 MB / s.

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
217 Posts
Bronze Member

MM:

"Sidenote: on an LG tv (this is similar on all other non-B&O tv) you can use one wire - either an SPDIF-out or a HDMI/RC for connecting to a soundbar.

SPDIF however would not allow for carrying the Atmos stream. HDMI/ARC could - but then the processing should take place in the soundbar.

Processing COULD take place in sound bar, but doesn't have to, does it? If you connect LG TV to LG sound bar, no reason they could not configure the TV (with Atmos built-in) to see the sound bar (also with Atmos built-in) as static and use WISA for satellites. B&O does this today, doesn't it? You could put a CAT6 connector for speaker between them, correct?

And the whole point of having an LG tv with WiSA based wireless Dolby Atmos audio is to avoid this!"

I would say it is an alternative and not the sole reason. It gives you options, B&O and other WISA included. It is a high resolution alternative than the current bluetooth for satellite speakers on the LG soundbar. Maybe LG won't make WISA "respectable" in many people's eyes but it might make it popular. If the rumour B&O soundbar comes to fruition I hope it will do the audio processing and pass-through video via  HDMI to the TV. Otherwise I fear processor sync issues.   

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Bronze Member

Peter Pan:
When nothing happened with LG Innotek concept after 2017. It may be because LG found out of somsing  happened.
HDMI 2.1 eARC technology provides new possibilities, such as eARC technology make sure it all can talk together
via the RX Sil9437 chip on the player page, and the TX Sil9438 chip on the TV. With they found eARC will transmit
the full bandwidth for 8 channels with 24-bit in uncompressed 192 khz audio, or control lip sync, and more. But If not
willgo back in regular ARC transmission.

HDMI 2.1 / eARC is maybe ready in LG C9. - Click here.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,570 Posts
Bronze Member

I suspect most if not all of the people who want to shell out b&o sums of money for however many surround sound speakers, b&o or otherwise, will have already found a way to do it to their satisfaction. That being the case I don't believe the LG having wisa is going to prompt a significant increase in speaker sales in the umpty £K range. Any blip generated by the tv will be more likely be in the sub-"play" price range.

Ban boring signatures!

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,271 Posts
Bronze Member
Agreed, hence why they should modify speakers like the Beoplay M5 to act as supplementary speakers apro pro, achieving surround soundCool

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Bronze Member

WiSA Smartstick or ? HDMI 2.1 - eARC  ?

HDMI 2.1 - eARC Spec'. So when will 4K TVs from LG, Panasonic, Samsung or Sony arrive with
HDMI 2.1 compatibility? Our guess would be early 2019.

Products with eARC, however, are coming out slowly. Onkyo and Pioneer are the first to offer
eARC updates on select AV products, mainly: Onkyo TX-RZ830, Integra DRX-5.2, Pioneer
SC-LX502 and Pioneer VSX-LX503 AV receivers.

If your TV is HDMI eARC enabled, but your AV amp or soundbar is only compatible with HDMI ARC,
it’s likely you’ll get a sound - but the bandwidth restrictions of ARC will mean you won’t be able to
experience the high bitrate audio that eARC can provide. So no, it's not backwards-compatible.

Some AV receivers and soundbars that don’t have HDMI 2.1 chipsets can be upgraded to support
eARC, but it varies between manufacturers and models. It depends if they are using compatible
hardware that can accept the necessary firmware update.

Enhanced Audio Return Channel (also known as eARC) is the next generation of ARC. It’s a feature
being implemented in the upcoming HDMI 2.1 specification.

The main benefit of eARC is a big boost in bandwidth and speed. This allows you to send higher-
quality audio from your TV to a soundbar or AV receiver.

There’s scope for eARC to deliver up to 32 channels of audio, including eight-channel, 24bit/192kHz
uncompressed data streams at speeds of up to 38Mbps.

This means all those high bitrate formats currently available on Blu-ray discs, 4K Blu-rays and some
streaming services – Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and object-based formats such as
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X – will all be compatible.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Bronze Member

As it becomes a LG OLED TV that distributes WiSA-based wireless Dolby Atmos audio,
I think this is an important enlightenment as this concerns the sent sound quality.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes okay! It is then easier to debate a topic where answers can be found at Bang & Olufsen
homepage, than what will be launched by new and important opportunities in the near future.

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/26335.aspx?PageIndex=57

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
94 Posts
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Wed, Dec 19 2018 1:32 AM
I’m not sure how I feel about a store brand tv, which specializes and makes GREAT TVs, lumping in a lot of features. What I mean is that I appreciate the time and effort different brand spend on perfecting certain elements.

So LG perfected the LED, by going for the OLED. B&O specialized in creating highly designed and good sounding products, and so forth and so on.

The home receiver, amplifier, and preamplifier are a multi billion dollar industry. To have a great decoder/preamplifier built into a wafer thin tv leaves me wondering how good it can be.

Yes, I’m sure for the average consumer, it’s plenty good... but Iv noticed manufacturers these days roping people into cheap solutions with no alternative for those that want the best that can possibly be had. The new generation value convenience over all else, while the entire rest of mankind’s history cherishes the endeavor for greatness that is possible.

Maybe Iv been reading too many brochures and pamphlets from brands trying to sell $10k preamplifiers..... or too many mechanical watch magazines trying to sell that idea.

We all know why we love B&O.... because speakers could be that much better than just a box off a department store shelf. And what I mean by more is a lot of things... a story, heritage, pursuit of perfection, design, ambition etc.

Now we are talking wireless sound bars and wafer thin decoders for the most advanced audio technical advancement in a long time in Dolby atmos. Just seems a bit of a mismatch to me. It’s a time some people are selling pure silver core cables to eek out the very last ounce of performance, and others selling wireless connectivity via microwaves. I suppose hats a good thing.

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Bronze Member

Hallo Howzit - We love B&O - but - Think about this -

It has now been a management decision in Bang & Olufsen to successfully sell the production units
and other assets from. Then we can bust the lost values, just as crazy we want. BeoLab speaker will
sooncould be purchased online as BeoPlay. How many B & O stores survive without just a BeoVision
TV. ?. BeoVision Eclipse = LG panel anno 2017, will be the last. Therefore, I have no alternative and is
completely satisfied with LG's initiatives. We have no alternatives other than an LG TV in the B & O store today.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Bronze Member

WiSA Home Audio Entertainment

Whether it’s a 2.1 starter system or a full 7.1 surround experience, WiSA-certified devices always
work in perfect harmony. Build, scale, mix, and match. With WiSA, the possibilities are endless.

http://www.wisaassociation.org/

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,271 Posts
Bronze Member
Peter Pan:

Hallo Howzit - We love B&O - but - Think about this -

It has now been a management decision in Bang & Olufsen to successfully sell the production units and other assets from. Then we can bust the lost values, just as crazy we want. BeoLab speaker will sooncould be purchased online as BeoPlay. How many B & O stores survive without just a BeoVision TV. ?. BeoVision Eclipse = LG panel anno 2017, will be the last. Therefore, I have no alternative and is completely satisfied with LG's initiatives . We have no alternatives other than an LG TV in the B & O store today.

So can we assume then that B&O stores will be full of WISA equipped LG TVs? No more Beo 1 remote then surely.

I’ll hold onto mine for as long as the software holds out then I guess. Can you even imagine having this thought 5 years ago?

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Chris Townsend

No!  From Tue Mantoni started (Mono-brand) BeoPlay. From there Bang & Olufsen's brand fell in value.  Sad

Tue Mantoni  - Click here.    Bang & Olufsen - Interested can read here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also hope my BV 7 works a few years, until there is a good alternative from B & O or others.

Page 6 of 52 (778 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL