Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

The LG 2019 OLED gets WiSA-based wireless Dolby Atmos audio.

Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 777 Replies | 2 Followers

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Bronze Member
Peter Pan posted on Wed, Dec 12 2018 11:40 AM

For Home Entertainment Via LG’s 2019 Line-Up of OLED and Flagship UHD/LCD WiSA Ready TVs

Click here. - Click here.

LG TV line for March / April, these things get HOT. We write about LG 4K TVs 2019 lineups -
HDMI 2.1 - eARC system, - Audio accessories - WiSA. If you have news now, write. Thanks. Yes - thumbs up

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Bronze Member

@ BEOVOX141 - 

All Replies

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,570 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Puncher:

Elsewhere on this board others, maybe even yourself, try to make exactly the opposite case telling us why the edge is a great and worthy speaker and that not everyone needs or appreciates true stereo pairs with real separation.

It is exactly the same here - Not everyone wants 7 speakers and 2 subs in their living room - in fact, in a living room it is faintly ridiculous and is more suited to those with dedicated cinema rooms.

As always it's horses for courses. I think wisa in the LG might not make a huge difference because of the above. Far better a decent soundbar for the masses where in fact wisa doesnt help or contribute anything.

Dolby Atmos is a proprietary way of achieving a spacial effect with sound.

Dolby has managed to influence everyone from the content makers and the distributors to the hardware makers and the costumers.

Hardly anyone speaks of DTS:X or Auro-3D.....

The Dolby guys are clever!

What the Edge (in True360 omnidirectional mode) does, is another way of creating a spacial sound effect, a room filling effect.

It can be used in some cases - in fact in many cases, where a ‘money seated’ listening position is not possible or wished for.

It can be a convienient way of listening to music....in rooms where you move around a lot.

2 channel/aka stereo is the classical way of creating a spacial effect with music.

The drawback is that you must sit in the right position and the room will a big role in order to achieve this effect.

In my opinion Dolby Atmos from a 5.1.2 soundbar is marketing bloat.....they are trying to tell people, that they will get a real Atmos experience.

A soundbar is one good way of improving the sound experience from a modern tv - especially those based on a 3.0/3.1 principle.

I am sure sound from a soundbar can be improved in many, different ways - think of the Yamaha YSP soundbars, the AMBEO 3D technology/Sennheiser or the Yarra 3D (which did not reach production) and more/more to come........all using some kind of DSP processing.

And WiSA can be a convenient way of connecting a soundbar to a tv - no cables apart from the powercord.....no more no less!

None of which alters the point I make!

Using WISA to connect to a soundbar 2 inches below the TV is somewhat of a waste of money!

Ban boring signatures!

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
217 Posts
Bronze Member

MM said, "And WiSA can be a convenient way of connecting a soundbar to a tv - no cables apart from the powercord.....no more no less!". 

1. Edge tech is impressive, just like Dolby's and sound bars. Edge performance will be influenced by placement and environment just like EVERY audio product ever made. And NO, I don't own one but I don't believe in fairies, either. 

2. Dolby making money off licensing their tech is no worse or better than B&O automotive, or any other for that matter. I am jealous. 

3. The real problem with LG and Dolby and how they use audio tech is that B&O is not the dance partner, Meridian is. I hope B&O will take advantage of WISA and LG TV. It's never too late to be friends. 

Puncher = real talk. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,040 Posts
Bronze Member

Puncher:

Using WISA to connect to a soundbar 2 inches below the TV is somewhat of a waste of money!

My postvwas not meant to alter anything there - just a comment, inspired by your post.

Well, one thing - we don’t agree on the benefit of wireless with a soundbar.

The less cables, the happier the buyers - with 8 channels that could be 8 cables less.

And soundbars are not always ‘2 inches below’ the tv.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,040 Posts
Bronze Member

@poodleboy

1: Well, the BL 50/90 are an example of trying to make a loudspeaker less influenced by placement and environment.

2: No of course not - but B&O is trying to give us the impression that their automotive technology is the one and only.

3: I don’t understand - could someone elaborate, please.

MM

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,570 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Puncher:

My postvwas not meant to alter anything there - just a comment, inspired by your post.

Well, one thing - we don’t agree on the benefit of wireless with a soundbar.

The less cables, the happier the buyers - with 8 channels that could be 8 cables less.

And soundbars are not always ‘2 inches below’ the tv.

MM

My expectation is that 99% of sound bar customers will have zero external speakers, let alone 8.

I think a mains out connection from the tv itself is probably more useful to a sound bar customers than wisa.

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,418 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Dec 15 2018 6:26 PM

Puncher:

My expectation is that 99% of sound bar customers will have zero external speakers, let alone 8.

I think a mains out connection from the tv itself is probably more useful to a sound bar customers than wisa.

I think that also fits 99 percent of TV owners. I've had a full on surround system, starting with Dolby Pro Logic way back in the late 80's, so long ago I can't remember exactly when I bit the bullet. In that time, out of all the people who's homes I've been in, the number of people who had even a rudimentary setup using rear speakers is...exactly three. An audio engineer friend, a fellow audio nerd, and me. Would WISA encourage more people to go for a proper setup? Maybe, but I doubt it, anyone who likes cinema at home and surround sound enough would probably figure out how to do it with wires, though it might tempt such a person to your TV brand because it makes it a bit easier.

I think, just like we have to face the fact that the number of people willing to do a proper two channel stereo setup is smaller than we think, the number for a proper surround setup is far lower.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
529 Posts
Bronze Member

Well if I buy the future (assumed, and expensive) B&O soundbar it would be exactly and only because I don‘t plan to buy other speakers... to keep my living room „clean“ but with best reasonably possible sound for TV and casual audio listening.

So, no I don‘ go for Dolby setup as it is it is too many wires in my view for a living room. Different story, of course, for a dedicated cinema room.

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
217 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

@poodleboy

1: Well, the BL 50/90 are an example of trying to make a loudspeaker less influenced by placement and environment.

2: No of course not - but B&O is trying to give us the impression that their automotive technology is the one and only.

3: I don’t understand - could someone elaborate, please.

MM

RE 3: "The real problem with LG and Dolby and how they use audio tech is that B&O is not the dance partner, Meridian is. I hope B&O will take advantage of WISA and LG TV. It's never too late to be friends."

Dolby is built-in LG TVs. Meridian is the LG audio partner for TV and Mobile and they helped the tech on the £1000 sound bar.  LG sound bars include the ability to add wireless satellite speakers to support more authentic surround. WISA in an integrated LG A/V system opens up opportunities for themselves, Meridian, and others. 

Meridian, Linn, B&W, and other UK companies might not be B&O, but they sure are not fools. I think B&O could have/should have been the LG audio partner. 

Sorry, I thought that the "dots" connected quite easy, but I think there is less to your comment than that. Guilty of thinking aloud (with a keyboard). 

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,641 Posts
Bronze Member

Still my dream. Only BeoLab 18 must have WiSA wireless. Lets have a Party !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv6hCSGv7T0

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,040 Posts
Bronze Member

Puncher:

Sure, that is possible - with a modern HDMI/ARC solution.

But that would mean that the decoding (of he Dolby Atmos stream) would have to take place in the soundbar.

However, the new thing about the coming LG tv’s is, that they can do the decoding (up to 8 channels) internally and output these......

....but only wireless (using WiSA). 

That is the whole point of the WiSA Ready specs of these tv’s.

direct cabled solution will not be possible, if you want to benefit from Dolby Atmos there.

You won’t have the opportunity to use cabled speakers or a mix of cabled and wireless there.

Neither to a 7.1.2 soundbar nor to seperate, external (B&O or maybe LG) active speakers in a 7.1.2 configuration.

NB. for a Dolby Atmos soundbar (including a sub) you will always need the 8 possible connections, when used with these coming LG tv’s.

You can do with less - but that won’t give you any Atmos.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,040 Posts
Bronze Member

Peter Pan:

Still my dream. Only BeoLab 18 must have WiSA wireless. Lets have a Party !!!

And that will stay a dream, if you plan to use the coming LG tv.

MM

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,570 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Puncher:

Sure, that is possible - with a modern HDMI/ARC solution.

But that would mean that the decoding (of he Dolby Atmos stream) would have to take place in the soundbar.

However, the new thing about the coming LG tv’s is, that they can do the decoding (up to 8 channels) internally and output these......

....but only wireless (using WiSA). 

That is the whole point of the WiSA Ready specs of these tv’s.

direct cabled solution will not be possible, if you want to benefit from Dolby Atmos there.

You won’t have the opportunity to use cabled speakers or a mix of cabled and wireless there.

Neither to a 7.1.2 soundbar nor to seperate, external (B&O or maybe LG) active speakers in a 7.1.2 configuration.

NB. for a Dolby Atmos soundbar (including a sub) you will always need the 8 possible connections, when used with these coming LG tv’s.

You can do with less - but that won’t give you any Atmos.

MM

As you wish, I've lost interest. You must have a PhD in Attrition! I can only think that you must have emptied hundreds of bars in your time.

Ban boring signatures!

kai
Top 500 Contributor
270 Posts
Bronze Member
kai replied on Sat, Dec 15 2018 10:07 PM

I will agree the bang and Olufsen is the better TV but the software problems still peeaist and they are no longer going to produce TV's after 2020, it make hard to justify spending that amount of money for me they are discontinuig the parts of the older equipment so quickly now 

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,271 Posts
Bronze Member
Who has said they won’t make TVs after 2020?

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
94 Posts
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Sun, Dec 16 2018 9:59 AM
Millemissen:

......And WiSA can be a convenient way of connecting a soundbar to a tv - no cables apart from the powercord.....no more no less!.....

Yes, other than power wires... they are wireless, of course. WhistleLaughingBig SmileWink

(Reminds me of all buzz about cutting the cord (digital cable) and going for Streaming services. Indeed, cutting the cord, other than the coaxial cord you literally need to bring the internet to the modem, the same coaxial cord that was always there for cable tv. Then paying more, for each subsequent streaming service, on top of an internet service provider)

I agree with you, this is the age of marketing and spin.

Still interesting to me though; is that if the main vehicle for this Atmos is a soundbar under the tv, why would one need the convenience of wireless (wireless other than power wires that is)?

Wouldn’t one just be able to use a very short wire from the tv just above it? Tucked along with the power wire the wireless speaker needs anyway?

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Page 5 of 52 (778 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL