rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 1 Follower

beccasapp
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Bronze Member
beccasapp posted on Wed, Dec 5 2018 2:07 AM

Hi,

Can someone tell me the difference between the Beosound 5 and Beosound 5 encore? I understand that the Beosound 5 was sold together with the Beomaster 5. If one has a Beosound 5 encore and their own server, are the two more or less the same (not considering the I/O of the Beomaster 5)?

I'd also would like to ask which is a better purchase. Beosound 5 encore or Beosound moment. Neither Deezer nor Spotify (N/A) are features of interest. I am looking for something where I can select/browse music on a home server and also play internet radio from time to time.

Thanks.

All Replies

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,647 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, Dec 5 2018 6:48 AM

If you already have a home server, the Encore is the way to go.

the only thing that could make you by the BS5 instead of the Encore is ML compatibility : Encore is not a Beolink product.

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,372 Posts
Founder

Just be aware: no more support for this product. Faulty harddrive / mainboard etc. might get you into Trouble…

I have been considering a Beosound 5 as well, but will stick with SONOS attached to Beosystem.

Regular sw updates available, apps for all OS.

We use SONOS + B&O + Apple (iPad/iPhones) and are very happy with it.

NAS is running as well, but ever since we are using Deezer the store Music files are barely used….

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-6 (Center), Beolab 8000 (Fronts and Rears) and Beolab 2. Screen: Panasonic TX-P65STW60
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab Penta 2 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears) and Beolab 2. Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beovision 10-40 on STB Bracket wall mount masterlinked to Beosound 9000 MK3 on horizontal wall bracket driving Beolab 5000 Speakers
Bedroom: Loewe TV with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all White)
In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

beccasapp
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you.

Have you heard of these issues with the Encore? I know the beomaster 5 has had issues with the motherboard but a non B&O board was stated to address that issue.

I'm new to B&O products so I'm still naive. I was under the impression that B&O products were built to last a very long time (many people here have displayed images of some if their equipment that's significantly older than the products in this thread). Is it that the newer items aren't as durable/same quality?

Many thanks.

Hungedu
Top 500 Contributor
Ambergris Caye, Belize
150 Posts
Bronze Member

• I've had a BeoSound 5 Encore for years. I've had no problems with it other than a few bugs like not showing album art at times. A quick power on/off cycle resolves those issues. I use a plug-in USB flash drive with mine.

BeoLab 5, BeoVision 7-55 MK2, BeoSound 5 Encore, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, BeoLab 7-6, BeoSound 8, BeoTime (analog clock), Beo 4 remote.

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
527 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Dec 5 2018 7:33 PM

Internally, the BS5 Encore is very different than the BS5/BM5.  It uses a version of the linux OS while BS5/BM5 uses Windows.   The BM5 is essentially a windows computer with a nice sound card, ML integration and some custom software to run the BS5.  The Encore is self contained unit, and since it's not running Windows, I doubt that it has the processing load of the BM5.  From my discussions with a repair center, the BM5's main processor issues seem to be heat related.  I'm pretty sure the Encore uses a completely different board. My guess is the Encore doesn't have the heat problems that the BM5 does because 1) it's not running windows and 2) it's not hidden away in a cabinet (like most BM5s).  I never owned an Encore, but do have the BS5/BM5 (replaced the main board twice, once under warranty, once I paid for).

In addition to multi-room capabilities, the BS5 also has "MOTS" (More of the Same) which is an early version of the Moment's "color wheel" - (automatically pick songs based on some properties of the music).  The Encore does not.

Every B&O product I've owned has been well built (I've owned equipment from the 1st BS1 to the Eclipse).  However, with the globally integrated manufacturing of the last ~30 years, spare parts can be difficult. Vendors don't produce the components any longer, and since about the late 1990s, B&O has built their repair approach around board replacement vs. individual component replacement.  Once the boards are gone, they're gone.  There are some clever people who can sometimes repair boards (or find working 2nd hand ones), but it's nothing like replacing capacitors (for example), in the equipment from the 60s-70s (although, I'd imagine even some of these components are getting hard to find).  Then you throw in the planned obsolescence of the computer industry (many hardware companies assume a 3 year lifecycle), and you'll find B&O's computer based products haven't fared very well with respect to longevity.

For example, the Moment has already been discontinued because there is no longer a source for the LCD panel.  Some BS9000s cannot be repaired because their CD mechanisms are no longer available.

beccasapp
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Bronze Member

Wow. Thanks for clearing that up. I assumed MOTS was on the Encore too.

With the more I learn, the more I get the impression that the Encore is not a good purchase for me at this point. I really wanted something that is standalone so the BS5/BM5 wont work. 

As for the Moment, I have been considering getting one for my needs but too have been discouraged. I didn't know it was discontinued due to lack of screen parts. In terms of repairs, my concerns with the Moment is that getting replacement batteries will be impossible in the next few years. I have also been told that some of the jukebox have faulty boards. 

Since manufacturing has become globally integrated, lack of parts would be an issue for any electronic (assuming a line of products doesn't reuse a same part for cost cutting) no?

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,647 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, Dec 5 2018 9:18 PM

I can confirm that MOTS is on the Encore, it was a key feature for me!

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,080 Posts
Bronze Member
I had an encore and it was a piece of crap

Sure it looks good and navigation was fine to go through your own music

But it keep failing.

Honestly buy a stand alone iPad if you want as your beocentre and use that. Connect the speakers to a core or to an essence.
beccasapp
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Bronze Member

Is the Moment a suitable alternative in your opinion?

beccasapp
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi mbee,

Could you search for artists or anything else for that matter using more than the first letter?

Also, are you able to fast forward or rewind songs using the interface on the Encore (not a remote)?

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
527 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Dec 5 2018 11:28 PM

mbee:

I can confirm that MOTS is on the Encore, it was a key feature for me!

Sorry for passing along bad information.  I guess I should not speak about things I do not know.

Hungedu
Top 500 Contributor
Ambergris Caye, Belize
150 Posts
Bronze Member

You can only do an artist search alphabetically. Unfortunately, there are no fast forward or rewind scan features on the Encore. That's one of the things I dislike about it. It's a nice unit to leave playing with the MOTS on and see where it takes you.

BeoLab 5, BeoVision 7-55 MK2, BeoSound 5 Encore, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, BeoLab 7-6, BeoSound 8, BeoTime (analog clock), Beo 4 remote.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,080 Posts
Bronze Member
You can’t change the bass or treble of the speakers attached to it etc.

I haven’t used a moment so I don’t know.

But you won’t be buying a new one as it’s discontinued so if you’re looking for one but the one that is the newest possible because some people have reported that screens fail etc.

But generally with the latest software have reported that they really enjoy the moment.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL