Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,578 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael posted on Thu, Nov 15 2018 12:15 AM

Hello,

I am looking for a way to replace my aging BeoSound Ouverture in my home study with something sleeker and more modern. I have a pair of Beolab 4000 that I listen to while working / using my computer at home.

Now I have cables going all over the room to the Ouverture and I am thinking maybe I could get a small preamp with a nice volume control on it instead? Maybe a bad idea. I've been accustomed to powerlink that turns the speakers on/off instantly and not slower like with RCA and I like having a beo4 remote.

However, I also saw the Yamaha WXC-50 (https://se.yamaha.com/sv/products/audio_visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/wxc-50/index.html) and it seems to be a quite nice device. It can also send a trigger signal to emulate the powerlink turn on/off possibly.

I also saw the Cambridge Audio Duo which lacks streaming services but probably has better quality chips inside.

Is there any other suggestions that would be good? Maybe I'll just stick with a BeoSound but please let me know if you have any good ideas :)

For now I use a headphone cable from my mac but running the sound digital over usb would probably be even more preferable for the preamp to work with. 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,607 Posts
Bronze Member

Michael:

Well, yes but I can stream from my computer to my Avant using the built in AirPlay 2 support in my Mac, and it works pretty well. Then not only audio but also video if I want to do so.
Having the remote would just put another thing on my desk, and a remote that can not control my other devices so I do not see it as beneficial unfortunately :(.  

As for video, that is true - but for audio I - personally - prefer to have direct access to the sources of a Core with my remote (in front of the tv).

Fiddling with a computer in another room and having to activate the ATV first is not my thing - it might be your way.

Do you stream from a service or do you only use local files?

As for the second part, I noticed this from a previous post of yours:

Reason I want a smaller preamp is to have a volume wheel on my desk instead of on the stereo far away

The Essence Remote would certainly take up less space than ‘a smaller preamp with a volume wheel’ 😉

So.....enough writing - looking forward to read about how your solution will be.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,578 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Michael:

Well, yes but I can stream from my computer to my Avant using the built in AirPlay 2 support in my Mac, and it works pretty well. Then not only audio but also video if I want to do so.
Having the remote would just put another thing on my desk, and a remote that can not control my other devices so I do not see it as beneficial unfortunately :(.  

As for video, that is true - but for audio I - personally - prefer to have direct access to the sources of a Core with my remote (in front of the tv).

Fiddling with a computer in another room and having to activate the ATV first is not my thing - it might be your way.

Do you stream from a service or do you only use local files?

As for the second part, I noticed this from a previous post of yours:

Reason I want a smaller preamp is to have a volume wheel on my desk instead of on the stereo far away

The Essence Remote would certainly take up less space than ‘a smaller preamp with a volume wheel’ 😉

So.....enough writing - looking forward to read about how your solution will be.

MM

Not sure what you mean with direct access but I wanted a solution that would remove the Ouverture and long cables from the setup, and still let me easily adjust volume. I thought the yamaha preamp would be good because it is pretty small, does that and also has spotify connect etc. Its 3000 sek.

The core is at least three times more expensive + excluding the remote (that works only for that) and it would require me to hide the core somewhere, and then use a remote because it lacks physical buttons. If I would play something from my Mac, I can just press the speaker icon and select Apple TV living room (or the screen mirror icon for also video) and then press the mybutton that wakes my Avant to ATV (no need do do anything with the Apple TV itself). So that is pretty easy. However I don't think I would use it a lot (since I don't today, except for when I need to show something from my screen on my TV).

I use spotify and local files, but the music is just part of it all since I need my computers every sound, from youtube, alert sounds, editing software, games etc. The remote absolutely would be smaller than an amp, but the amp is smaller than the ouverture, can stand on my desk and has the controller straight on it. I thought it would be a good and pretty cheap idea. But I'll think a bit more about how to proceed. Maybe I'll keep the ouverture, we'll see :) Thanks anyway for your suggestions, I guess you really like the core. I'm more trying to stay away from it :P 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Silou
Top 200 Contributor
Switzerland
465 Posts
Bronze Member
Silou replied on Thu, Nov 15 2018 2:05 PM

shame about Ouverture !

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,607 Posts
Bronze Member

Michael:

Not sure what you mean with direct access 

....it would require me to hide the core somewhere, and then use a remote because it lacks physical buttons. If I would play something from my Mac, 

I use spotify and local files, but the music is just part of it all since I need my computers every sound, from youtube, alert sounds, editing software, games etc.

I guess you really like the core. I'm more trying to stay away from it :P 

Direct access means that the sources of the Core are visible/accessible from the Avant. As an example you can play Spotify Connect right to the tv/the tv speakers. And you can  e.g. use a MyButton to open the connection to the toslink-in (= your computer sound) from the Core.

This - of cource - is only interesting if you want to use the tv for such things!

The Core is easily hidden - it is pretty small.

Your decition —— I like the Core personally and I recommend it because it is versatile and has all you need  ( minus the remote, that you’d pay extra for), it can be app controlled and your prefered sources are available. A great solution, especially if you want to use NL/link with the Avant.

However, if you find it too expensive.....I shall bother you no more 😏

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,361 Posts
Silver Member
It is not ready yet.

Why I did it? Because I can Big Smile

I just wanted a unit with built in amplifier and a Beo4.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,361 Posts
Silver Member
Sorry, forgot to quote Michael in my reply.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL