rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 159 Replies | 0 Followers

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,465 Posts
Gold Member
Craig posted on Sun, Nov 4 2018 4:22 PM

Drove down to Manchester yesterday to do some Christmas shopping, and picked this up while I was there...ebay again, need to get a handle on this ;¬)

All Replies

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,465 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Sun, Dec 30 2018 1:02 PM

seems I have broken a couple of the very thin wires which connect to the cartridge holder when I removed it, can anyone advise what AWG size these wires are (Martin.) I,m still awaiting Rudis package 😉

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,141 Posts
Gold Member

For inside the Beogram 400x tonearm, from the cartridge connector to the rear board (that transfers to the really thin magnet wire) I like to use 32 gauge wire like this.  It is nice having the color coded wire as the Beogram 8000, at least the one I opened up, has the really thin, non-color coded wire all the way to the cartridge connector. 

-sonavor

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,465 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Mon, Dec 31 2018 12:01 PM

Cheers Sonavor…..found this on UK ebay ;¬)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Internal-Tone-Arm-Rewire-cable-by-The-Missing-Link/232591653167?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,465 Posts
Gold Member

Rudi's package arrived so as I'm still waiting for the tonearm wire I decided to install the replacement LED into the detector arm....

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,465 Posts
Gold Member

And for good measure stripped down the release lever and associated solenoid and damper...good clean and some silicone grease.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,465 Posts
Gold Member

This lever was quite stiff and took a little easing off....

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,465 Posts
Gold Member

Re assembled and ready to go....I have to say the whole thing now seems very tight, not  loose....I'm wondering if the silicone grease may have been a bit to viscous,

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,465 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Thu, Jan 3 2019 8:32 PM

Alister of Audio Originals kindly offered to take a look at my cartridge in exchange for the loan of my magnet alignment tool, he has a bunch of drivers with slipped magnets, therefore without a cartridge I cant confirm if the arm is dropping and lifting exactly as it should but the solenoid is pulling in and the release lever is moving up out of the way therefore allowing the arm the possibility of dropping....so in all it looks promising, the detector arm is now working well too.....seeing the plater ribs with no album present and allowing a stop and drop when one is.....so I'm encouraged so far.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,465 Posts
Gold Member

Tone arm wire turned up today so had a crack at soldering the wires to Rudi's shapeways connection arm...….these wires are very fine, more like soldering hairs!

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,465 Posts
Gold Member

Fixed the bottom half to the new topworks…...

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,465 Posts
Gold Member

soldering the tonearm wires, bottom ones are a challenge...….

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,465 Posts
Gold Member

Mr Roast dropped his BG4000 off over the holidays for me to have a look at, seemingly it was refusing to detect the presence of an album on the platter and behaved accordingly....run to the centre of the platter and returned, on examination I could find nothing wrong with it....worked everytime on both 33 and 45 discs......very odd. However as I was sure dave wouldn't mind I "borrowed" his cartridge in the interests of science...……...and plugged it in

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,465 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Sat, Jan 5 2019 3:40 PM

I'm delighted to say that mine also now responds in a similar manner, connected up to Peters Beolab 5000 and had a listen, all is working just as it should on both 33 and 45 discs......sounds pretty good too for an old girl ;¬)

Still got a bit to do of course, now the thing is actually operating within pre defined parameters I will go ahead and fit Rudis remaining LED conversions, full recap and look to music is moving for a new trim, also need some albums to listen too......been a bit of a slog but light is at the end of the tunnel

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
329 Posts
Bronze Member
Glad I come in useful occasionally Big Smile. Odd about the 4000 - must just be me! [:\'(]
sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,141 Posts
Gold Member

Measure the voltages of the fixed arm sensor with and without a platter present. It sounds like the voltage level could be marginal. 

-sonavor

Page 8 of 11 (160 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL