Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beovox S55

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Krolroger
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
168 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member
Krolroger posted on Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:12 PM

Hi all,

I'm sorting out a pair of S55 speakers (refoam, new caps and woodwork repair) but, having removed the resin fascia, I'm slightly perplexed that the uppermost two wood screws seem to be captive.  The other four come out but no sensible amount of tapping, banging, pressing or twisting will get these to come out.

I could do a more accurate reassembly if I could get them out especially as I had to replace the plywood side rails which were warped.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Simon

 

All Replies

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
638 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

The thread in the wood sometimes goes west when you try to unscrew these.If your's are turning but not unscrewing that's probably whats happened/You should be able to lever the moulding outward while turning the screw to get it moving.

If the screw's are solid,you may have to drill the heads off.

Nick

Krolroger
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
168 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Hi Nick,

I've got the two fascias off the cabs, but the two topmost screws on each of them seem to be captive to the extent that I can't remove them from the fascia.

Not a huge problem but curious.

The longitudinal stretchers either side of the cabs into which the screws go were warped by quarter of an inch so I've replaced the ply with hardwood.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,989 Posts
OFFLINE
Founder
Moderator

It's quite normal for one of the two screw types used in these speakers.
The screws head seem to sink into the composite material if tightened to much. not a lot - just enough to capture the screw.
You can heat the end of the screw that sticks out a little and see if the screw will then push back out. using "controlled force".

Martin

Krolroger
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
168 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Thanks for your replies, gents.

This project came together nicely despite the sticking out screws.

Martin's recap kit went in, along with new foam surrounds from Audiofriends and three coats of Danish oil.  (I shimmed the cone with acetate sheet which is so straightforward, I can't see why anyone would do otherwise.  Can't even see the glue line on the dustcap.)  Couldn't get all the dinks out of the midrange cover so this will have to do.

They sound very slightly less neutral than my S45-2s and not bass light at all.  Plenty of detail, too.

 

 

 


Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL