Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

Dolby Digital with non-B&O television: how?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

jc
Not Ranked
48 Posts
Bronze Member
jc posted on Thu, Nov 1 2018 12:37 PM

Hello all,

I may want to replace my BV7-32. But first choice won't be a BeoVision.

Currently, my BV7 is running 2 BL20's and 2 BL4000's and its own BL7.1 to give a full Dolby Digital setup.

Now, if I would go the non-BeoVision way, (how) would I be able to still enjoy Dolby Digital without huge expenses?

All Replies

Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
77 Posts
Bronze Member
Dante replied on Thu, Nov 1 2018 1:41 PM

While B&O doesn't update BS4 to 4K, I would go with Emotiva Bas-X MC700 audio processor. It's the cheapest one with acceptable audio quality I could find.

Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
77 Posts
Bronze Member
Dante replied on Thu, Nov 1 2018 1:41 PM

While B&O doesn't update BS4 to 4K, I would go with Emotiva Bas-X MC700 audio processor. It's the cheapest one with acceptable audio quality I could find.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Zagreb, Croatia
478 Posts
Bronze Member

Everyone capable of producing a BS5 has beeen sent home, that division does not exist anymore at B&O (or am I wrong?). 

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
87 Posts
Bronze Member

I am running an OLED LG and Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp.

This is the top shelf from Yamaha, which is basically on par if not a little better than Denon, Marantz, Pioneer elite, etc.

Yamaha just released the CX-A5200, so there will be audiophiles out there getting rid of their pre-amps in favor of the latest and greatest. I got my used from a local chap and half price because he was raising funds to get the new toy. So I would recommend high-end second hand pre-amp to help with the expenditure.

Its actually a godsend that B&O makes active speakers, because surround preamps are way better than integrated receivers (amp and preamp built into one). When you get into high end audio, the setups are all huge separates to keep the signal clean, however its huge pieces on electronics on top of each other, and all complicated to set up. With B&O speakers however, the amplification is all spread out all over the room, and no amplifier is next to another! Thats as clean as it gets.

It has Dolby Atmos, and I have it configured this way....

Center: pair of BL8000 (mono splitting into the two speakers either side of the TV)

Left/Right: BL 9

Surround Left/Right: BL8000

Rear Left/Right: BL8000

Overhead/Presence: BL3

LFE: Two B&W PV1 left and right

This has been absolutely amazing, and Dolby Atmos is just a whole new level of home movie watching, and the DSP for surround music is equally impressive. Whats more, the calibration from the Yamaha CX-A5100 adjusts for the room perfectly. I also get individual PEQ per channel, to further tailor the curve of the speaker to my taste, which is key.

All the speakers are connected via PowerLink, with a 12V trigger stepped down to 5V. So when I turn on the Yamaha, it turns on and off all the speakers like any regular B&O TV or Beosystem. The Yamaha has two 12V out, but Im just using the one into a regular 6-way headphone splitter. The two subwoofers are just using RCA line sense, which is annoying as hell when watching TV shows that have little bass, the woofers keep clicking on and off. So the 12V triggered speakers are great.

To finish it all off, Im using a Harmony One remote, so control of the whole system happens on 1 remote control. The Yamaha also has an amazing phone app, which I use to fiddle and play with all the DSPs

Its good to be able to buy a processor with all the latest tech, 4K passthough, HDR, Dolby Atmos, etc. Pity B&O source units havent kept up.

Hope this helps!

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,241 Posts
Bronze Member

AnalogPlanet:

Everyone capable of producing a BS5 has beeen sent home, that division does not exist anymore at B&O (or am I wrong?). 

From my experience....wrong!

We are talking about an audio processor feature here.

And there are lots of guys doing audio in Struer.

In fact you could see the Sound Center (of the Eclipse) with it’s integrated speakers as a BSys5 (since there is no need for the video capacity in a ‘BSys5’ anymore).

Whether there is or is not - and for what reasons - made a decision against a ‘pure BSys5’ is unknow.

But I am pretty sure that they could make one, if the should.

P.S. But don’t expect that it would run in a ‘production line’ in Struer - it would probably be assembled in the Czech Rep. from Thympany.......when developed.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

trackbeo
Top 500 Contributor
143 Posts
Silver Member

If your first choice ends up being an LG OLED, bear in mind that Dolby Digital from the optical output has an unacceptable delay.  Stick with HDMI ARC or as recommended above, a receiver/pre-pro that splits off the HDMI audio in the first place, before passing on the video to the screen.  (Something about the translation from HDMI multichannel input to TOSlink output takes LG awhile.  PCM stereo via HDMI to optical works just fine.)

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
87 Posts
Bronze Member
trackbeo:

If your first choice ends up being an LG OLED, bear in mind that Dolby Digital from the optical output has an unacceptable delay. Stick with HDMI ARC or as recommended above, a receiver/pre-pro that splits off the HDMI audio in the first place, before passing on the video to the screen. (Something about the translation from HDMI multichannel input to TOSlink output takes LG awhile. PCM stereo via HDMI to optical works just fine.)

I second this. Even with lip sync delay set to maximum, the delay was utterly unacceptable. I learnt this with much frustration.

High quality HDMI as trackbeo said is the way to go.

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL