IR eye stops working on Beosystem 2

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Dutchdennis
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
Dutchdennis posted on Fri, Oct 19 2018 10:02 PM

I recently bought a second hand Beosystem 2 with a Beovision 4-65 and all the cabling. The only part that wasn’t included was the IR eye, so I bought a second hand one. 

i can switch the system on with the remote and operate the menu, but the moment I switch to DVD or TV the remote stops working. Unplugging the IR eye from the Beosystem 2 doesn’t reset it, only manually switching the Beosystem 2 off and on gets the IR eye to work again  Until I switch to TV or DVD  

I’ve never posted on a forum before, but I’ve been trawling the Internet for weeks now and I can’t seem to find a solution. 

The IR eye is a 5 screw model and it’s conmected to the Beosystem 2 with three wires in a soldered headphone style connection. 

All Replies

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
578 Posts
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Fri, Oct 19 2018 10:59 PM
Hello and welcome. Do you have the eye wired like this?

Dutchdennis
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you for the diagram, I did follow those instructions she. I connected the eye up:

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,940 Posts
Founder

Check setup settings at the connections. Whem there is DTV-DVI or DVD-DVI is choosen, then the screen has probably a DVI module mounted.

From the moment you choose DVD , the videopath through the BS2 will be bypassed and instructions from the remote aren't visable anymore.

Dutchdennis
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

There are no connections to the tv other than the rs232 and the vga cable. I’ve hooked  my DVD player to the scart port on the Beosystem. If I select dvd or tv the remote completely stops working.

Could the Beosystem 2 be broken? 

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
578 Posts
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Sun, Oct 21 2018 10:15 PM
Dutchdennis:

There are no connections to the tv other than the rs232 and the vga cable. I’ve hooked my DVD player to the scart port on the Beosystem. If I select dvd or tv the remote completely stops working.

Could the Beosystem 2 be broken?

If it is broken it’s beyond economical repair, no spare parts available. We have a clients BS3 on eBay right now which is a much better unit
Dutchdennis
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

I borrowed another Beosystem, but exactly the same Happens: the system responds to the remote control in the menu environment, but whenever I switch to TV or DVD or anything else the Beosystem stops responding to the remote. 

Witg the IT eye working in menu setting, I’d rule out a wiring issue, so it must be a faulty IR eye

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,940 Posts
Founder

Sounds more of a issue of interference from the plasma on the ir receiver. 

Place the ir receiver directly on the wall beneath the plasma.

Dutchdennis
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

You’ve won the cake sir!

When I bought the TV, not all the cables were included, so I used a generic monitor cable and a generic straight RS232 cable. 

I’ve switched the TV off and lo and behold: the IR eye is working again!

I’ll buy some clip on ferrite for both cables, see if that fixes it

Dutchdennis
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

You’ve won the cake sir!

When I bought the TV, not all the cables were included, so I used a generic monitor cable and a generic straight RS232 cable. 

I’ve switched the TV off and lo and behold: the IR eye is working again!

I’ll buy some clip on ferrite for both cables, see if that fixes it

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL