rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
901 Posts
Bronze Member
Manbearpig posted on Sat, Oct 13 2018 4:13 PM

Dear members,

I still have an Avant 32 RF with DS module and two Scart connections. I now also use a DVB-C receiver. My question is - how can I best integrate the DVD2? Connect both to the Avant via Scart and connect them to each other via Scart again? Then, I'd need a receiver with two Scart connections. Is there another possibility?

Thanks!

Greetings,

Kai

All Replies

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,977 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Oct 13 2018 5:06 PM

Do you control the DVB receiver with the B&O remote via the STB?

If not, and you want to be able to record from the DVB, simply connect that to the EXT2 SCART on the DVD2.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
901 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the answer. I am not sure whether my Avant does have the STB controller? Type 8430 if I am not mistaken. So you suggest that I do not connect the receiver via scart to the Avant, but rather directly connect it to the DVD2? Sorry for asking back again. Thanks! Kai

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,977 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Oct 14 2018 8:28 PM

Manbearpig:

So you suggest that I do not connect the receiver via scart to the Avant, but rather directly connect it to the DVD2?

Only if you want to be able to record from the DVB receiver.  If you want to use the two sources independently, just connect each direct to the Avant.

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,459 Posts
Bronze Member
Manbearpig:

I am not sure whether my Avant does have the STB controller?

Not sure, but HDR1 used to have an own STB Controller. Maybe DVD2 as well?

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Panasonic TX-P65STW60
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab Penta 2 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears) and Beolab 2. Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beovision 10-40 on STB Bracket wall mount masterlinked to Beosound 9000 MK3 on horizontal wall bracket driving Beolab 5000 Speakers
Bedroom: Loewe TV with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)
In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,977 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Oct 15 2018 11:38 AM

kallasr:

Maybe DVD2 as well?

There is no STB controller on DVD2.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
901 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks again, Guy. When I connect as you suggested, how do I start the TV then? When directly connected to the Avant, I used V.Tape 2. Greetings, Kai

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,977 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Oct 15 2018 12:44 PM

You'll have to go into the TV's connections menu (MENU, SETUP, CONNECTIONS) and configure the input you want to use.   

Does your Avant already have a DVD built in?

If so, you'll have to configure the connection that the DVD2 is connected to, to be V.TAPE (or V.MEM) or V.AUX.  Either of these should enable you to control the DVD2 with the Beo4 remote.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
901 Posts
Bronze Member

Dear Guy,

No DVD built in - therefore the DVD2. Sure, that's not the problem. I know how to use the DVD2. But how can I use the receiver when it is directly connected only to the DVD2 and not to the Avant. When directly connected to Scart 2 of the Avant the DVD was available with DVD/CDV and the receiver with V.Tape2. But what if I connect the DVB-C to the DVD2 instead as you suggested?

Greetings,

Kai

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,977 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Oct 15 2018 1:33 PM

Ah sorry for getting confused!

I understand the problem now - and to be honest I am not sure of the answer!  In the DVD2 manual it talks about selecting EXT2 for recording purposes by highlighting TUNER, and then using the up/down arrows to highlight EXT 1, EXT 2 or CAM.  I am not sure if this would would for playback?

However, let's go back to the start.  If what you are actually trying to achieve is to be able to record from the DVB-C then I think that will work even with the DVD2 and DVB-C connected to different SCARTs on the back of the TV, and no connection between them.  This is because SCART is two-way, hence when you ask the TV to record if will pass the DVB signal to the DVD2.

If necessary I will get my DVD2 out and have a play!

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
901 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Guy,

sorry for being so unclear. However, then I think the additional connection between receiver and DVD2 will be necessary. The data transfer via the Avant won't work. That I'm pretty sure of.

Anybody on here who is using a Beo4 compatible external receiver? Is it working reasonably well?

Greetings, Kai

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,977 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Oct 16 2018 11:50 AM

Hi Kai,

So yesterday I dug out my DVD2 and did some experimentation.  I connected both the DVD2 and a STB to my BV6-26 - each connected separately by SCART and no direct connection between the receiver and DVD2.  I named the DVD2 connection V.MEM (equivalent to V.TAPE). 

Whilst watching TV, when I pressed RECORD on my Beo4  and the DVD2 started recording onto its hard drive.  So clearly the TV is passing the STB signal to the DVD2 down the SCART, and your AVANT should work in the same way. I could also watch DVDs on the DVD2, albeit selected with V.MEM rather than DVD. 

Separately I played around with the DVD2 and its EXT2 socket - this time with its SCART socket set up as DVD.  When the DVD2 is selected by the TV remote, I found that you could use the Beo4 up/down arrows on the remote to cycle between EXT1, EXT2 and CAM - thus choosing the required input.  Hence you could watch your DVB even if it were only connected to the DVD2's EXT2.

I am not sure what you mean by a 'Beo4 compatible external receiver' - do you mean Lintronic or the like?  Perhaps you should also look at some of the Beo4 remote modification that OneRemote can provide - a small PCB inside the Beo4 that allows you to control specific other devices.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
901 Posts
Bronze Member

Dear Guy,

that's great and valuable information. Thanks. Looks like both alternatives work then. But is it still possible to record with the STB directly connected to the EXT2 of the DVD2? Anyway, that's exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks so much!

Yes, I wanted to know, whether it's worth to change software of the DVB-C receiver to be compatible with the Beo4 - particularly since probably not all functions will work. However, if the Beo4 can be made compatible with the DVB-C, that's another alternative. Not sure whether I do want to take that road.

Are there any significant differences in picture quality between DVB-C receivers or are they - like CD players - more or less all the same in this regard?

Greetings,

Kai

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,977 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Oct 18 2018 12:38 PM

Hi again Kai,

In answer to your questions:

- Yes it is still possible to record with the STB directly connected to EXT2 of the DVD2.  You will also be able to watch the program at the same time.

- Have a look at the products sold by OneRemote here: https://shop.oneremote.dk/en/webshop/  They have STBs that have been modified, as well as a selection of different Beo4 mods to enable them to control STBs of various makes.  I haven't used any of these, but others on the forum have.  I did purchase a B&O remote compatible internet radio from OneRemote several years ago and have been very happy with it.

- To be honest, given that you are using SCART the picture quality will probably be similar whatever DVB-C box you go for.  I use Humax STBs because they seem to have good functionality.  On course, nowadays there will be a reduced number of 'new' DVB-C boxes available that actually have a SCART output, as most people will have moved to hdmi.

Finally, do you know if your Avant has got a built in STB-controller (STB-C)?  If so, it will have two 3.5mm IR output sockets on the edge of the rear panel, and a list of available STBs you can control should come up on the screen when you go through the CONNECTIONS menu.  If it does have an STB-C, you could make life easier by simply getting hold of a DVB-C that is already listed as controllable.

Regards Guy

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
901 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi again Guy,

I've now played around a little over the week-end and figured out that my Avant does have the STB controller.

One question remains:

Am I obliged to stick to the receivers listed? There are hardly any DVB-C receivers included (many more for SAT). I seem to recall that I read on here that other receivers might work as well depending on the codes they use? Do you know whether a Xoro receiver of newer date might still be compatible?

Sorry for the many questions and thanks so much for your help!

Greetings,

Kai

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL