rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 1 Follower

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,271 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort posted on Mon, Oct 1 2018 9:49 AM

My daughter is having a A9 MkII. She is now thinking on adding a M3 to the mix.

The M2 does not include Spotify Connect of some odd reason.

Will that be a problem in certain use cases?

I assume that it may be a problem in the case one is airplaying Spotify to A9 and want that experience to be expanded to M3, tapping "join" on M3. Correct?

If the builtin Spotify is used I assume there would be no limitations using the B&O app and expanding the experience in multiroom? Correct?

/C

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,029 Posts
Bronze Member

Sadly the M3 does not support Spotify Connect.

And even sader - you can not expand the session/join in on the M3, when Spotify Connect is used on another product/the M3.

Why this is so, I don’t know.

Is that on purpose from B&O.....leaving Spotify (Connect) users in the rain, or?

Only way(s) to use the A9/M3 combo with Spotify is to use ChromeCast and make a group or to use AirPlay 2.....

.....which joth leads us totally out of the Bang & Olufsen app interface.

Funny - because you can Join-in from a NL tv with no problems, and these does not support Spotify Connect either.

P.S. Even worse - it is rumoured the the BS Edge will not have support for Spotify Connect either ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ™„

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,029 Posts
Bronze Member

I must correct myself.

There is one more way to do it - which let us use the B&O app/NL to some extend.

If you have activated the ‘Use AirPlay in NL’ function in the settings of the A9, you can do it.

Then you can AirPlay from Spotify to the A9 and join in on the M3.

This is - in my eyes - is a workaround. Good, but not as good as using the original Spotify Connect version.

And it involves the device, that is sending the stream (it has to be active) - whereas Connect lets the device fetch the stream.

MM

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,271 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Oct 1 2018 12:50 PM

Yeah... its strange isn´t ...

One usecase would be to wakeup the M3 (palying Spotify) in the bedroom, and then join that experience on A9. That will not be possble then.

Would be cumbersome to use the phone.

The other usecase would be to start Spotify in the A9a and join M3 to that experience. That will not be possible either, right? 

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,029 Posts
Bronze Member

No, there are only the above three ways to do it.

Here - from my setup.

Spotify Connect version is playing on my Essence 2nd gen.

I can add my tv’s, but not my M3.

P.S. If this is really important to you, you will have to go for the M5 (which is much, much better anyway).

But it would be nice to hear an official statement for not adding Spotify Connect to the M3.

MM

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,271 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Oct 1 2018 2:39 PM

I bet Chromecast and Airplay 2 will be the way forward also for coming products. Guess B&O do not trust in continued support for Connect from Spotify. Maybe they even pay royalty to Spotify? 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,029 Posts
Bronze Member

But that would mean a goodbye to the Bang & Olufsen app.

Why should we need that, then?

Well, maybe for setting up the products ;-)

MM

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,271 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Oct 1 2018 2:56 PM

Millemissen:

But that would mean a goodbye to the Bang & Olufsen app.

Why should we need that, then?

Well, maybe for setting up the products ;-)

MM

Yes, for Spotify users I would agree. Not much use for the app.

For others (like myself) using Deezer , DLNA and so on, the app is still relevant.

/C

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,029 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes, of course....talking about Spotify user - but there are many out there.

MM

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
515 Posts
Bronze Member
Iโ€™ve moved away from Spotify and solely use Deezer. MM As you know it integrates nicely in the B&O app so I donโ€™t need to keep hopping from one app to another. I prefer listening to HQ audio and Deezer support FLAC unlike Spotify. Chromecast and AirPlay 2 are going to be heavily used going forward and end users need to opt in to use the BeoLink app as we know it today, I think B&O are thinking more outside of their box nowadays.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,029 Posts
Bronze Member

I just answered the question in the op?

This aside, Spotify is the most used music streaming service.

B&O will discourage some potential byuers, when ‘forcing them’ to use Deezer.

For a non integrated service Spotify Connect fits pretty well with the app.

It displays metadata etc on my tv’s when joining in to a Spotify Connect session.....

....in a way that Cast and AirPlay does not do.

The aim should not be to exclude a service, but to include as much as possible - to let the user decide, which one Is best for him.

So - yes, I know that Deezer is fully integrated - but that was not the actual theme.

MM

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
239 Posts
Gold Member
Jon replied on Tue, Oct 2 2018 5:35 PM
When I emailed support to ask about native in-app Apple Music integration (like Sonos has, so no need for AirPlay or even a phone if you use their desktop app) they told me they had no plans to add that and were moving away from integration like that and towards Chromecast/AirPlay/BeoLink Multiroom, so that most likely explains no Spotify Sad
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,029 Posts
Bronze Member

Which again means - if you want to use the Bang & Olufsen app and a music service, you must use Deezer as your service.

I can then add - as the 4th option for the op/Hiort, when wanting to add the M3 to the A9 - ditch Spotify (Connect) and change to Deezer.

Just wondering for how long the will keep Deezer integrated ๐Ÿค”

MM

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
602 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Oct 3 2018 3:58 PM

Jon:
moving away from integration like that and towards Chromecast/AirPlay/BeoLink Multiroom,

So what does this really mean?  Chromecast supports Spotify - how is the Spotify experience different on a "Chromecast-only" device vs. a "Spotify-Connect" device?  I don't really see a functional difference with Spotify between my Essence and my Chromecast (connected to a BS9000), but maybe I'm missing something...  Is it just support within the BeoApp?  

Stan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,029 Posts
Bronze Member

@Stan

When it comes to ‘functional difference’ meaning the sound, you are listening to, there is no difference, sure.

However, to say, that the difference is ‘just’ within the app, would be misunderstanding, what the Bang & Olufsen app and B&O-NL/multiroom is for.

As I wrote above Spotify Connect is fairly well integrated into the Bang & Olufsen app.

Playing via Connect means that you can expand the experience to other compatible B&O NL devices.

This is something, that you can’t with pure cast from the native Spotify app.

You can group different cast devices and manage these from the Google Home app.

This means that you won’t need the Bang & Olufsen app - no need for that for you (in your user case).

However, if you have B&O devices (which include Chromecast built-in as one of their sources),

the best way to use these sources is the Bang & Olufsen app - especially if you have more of these setup as multoroom.

In my own case (an Essence-box, which has Chromecast built-in and Spotify Connect support) I can not link the sound to my main speaker setup, which is my Avant-55, when I would cast from the Spotify app. But I can, when I play via Spotify Connect.

So - to answer your question....it depends on how you use Cast!

Casting Spotify to one single device (and maybe to other non-B&O devices) is as good as using the Spotify Connect version - in some cases even nescessary. And there would be no need for using and for further development of the Bang & Olufsen app.

But with a modern B&O NL setup, the Connect version will be the best solution, if you are using Spotify as your music service.

MM

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL