rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Michael
Not Ranked
Aalborg, Denmark
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael posted on Sun, Sep 23 2018 8:15 PM

Got an old pair of Beolab Penta loudspreakers which I have connected to my Retro sound system. The problem is that even on lowest volume the sound is way to high. Especially when playing vinyl records.

So would a simple passive preamp like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Passive-preamp-Volume-control-box-ALPS-27-Potentiometer-RCA-input-and-output-finished-product-or-shell/32910609067.html
do the job?

Or would I gain more sound quality from going with a more traditional preamp like a Nad or Rotel?

or is there some other solution?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,727 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Michael,

As far as I am aware, there are no other volume controlled outputs on this music system, so your only other option is to add a pre-amp or headphone amplifier with a volume control between the system and the speakers to give you more control of the volume.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

All Replies

lawrencejmcook
Top 500 Contributor
270 Posts
Founder
Hi Michael, have you tried adjusting the input sensitivity on the pop-out front panel of the Labs?

They have three settings with different names depending on whether you have Penta 1s or later.

Lawrence
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,850 Posts
Bronze Member

Michael:

Got an old pair of Beolab Penta loudspreakers which I have connected to my Retro sound system. 

or is there some other solution?

Are you maybe trying to connect an active speaker (a BeoLab, which has its own amp) to an amplifier?

You will need a preamp with volume regulated line out output...

...or some kind of attenuator - see:

http://www.soundsheavenly.com/faq/question/can-use-beolab-speakers-av-amplifier-receiver-without-pre-sockets-get-surround-sound/

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
1,727 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Beoworld!

Please can you tell us the model number of the retro sound system that you wish to connect to the Penta speakers?  We can then give you the help and advice you need to get everything working well.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Michael
Not Ranked
Aalborg, Denmark
7 Posts
Bronze Member

I hope Im not double posting, for some reason it didn't save my last reply. 

Thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated. My music system is a Soundmaster NR545DAB, not the best system, but got all the features I need, and the right design for the placement. Speakers are connected through the RCA out and to the Line In.

Adjusting the sensitivity pin don't affect much, and the already amplified signal is to strong even at volume 1. This is why I was wondering if the simple preamp with volume control would be enough, if put between the sound system and the loudspeakers, or if I need a more advanced system.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
1,727 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.  The RCA outputs of this music system are not volume controlled, so they are not suitable for connecting to Beolab speakers.  Instead, please connect the Beolab Pentas to the headphone socket on the front of the music system with this cable, as this is the only volume controlled output on this music system:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/77-241-minijack-to-beolab-line-in-using-phono-rca-sockets-one-cable-for-two-speakers.html#/2-length-1m

Kind regards, Steve  

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Michael
Not Ranked
Aalborg, Denmark
7 Posts
Bronze Member

A step in the right direction now :)
I borrow a short version of this cable from a friend, and sound was much lower now, but still a tiny bit to loud on lowest volume setting and no not quiet ideal to plugin in a cable at the front of the music system. 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
1,727 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Michael,

As far as I am aware, there are no other volume controlled outputs on this music system, so your only other option is to add a pre-amp or headphone amplifier with a volume control between the system and the speakers to give you more control of the volume.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Michael
Not Ranked
Aalborg, Denmark
7 Posts
Bronze Member

thanks, ill try one of the smaller preamps.. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL