rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 28 Replies | 1 Follower

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,656 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb posted on Fri, Sep 21 2018 11:14 AM

Apologies if this is a rehash.

I'm not sure if this is a recent change, but i can no longer add a second speaker / room to an existing Airplay session.  I'm pretty sure this was working recently (i'm on the beta programme for B&O AP2)

Example : Once i Airplay to my A9 MK2 (updated for AP2), there is no way to get my BS2 (updated for AP2) to join. And same the other way around.

Not sure if this is a B&O app problem - tapping the devices to join doesnt work either.

It seems as if the Apple music option has disappeared from the Product settings (for both the A9 / BS2).

Previously in Product Settings / Configure / Your Content  - there was an option Apple music or something like that.  And it was there that you could enable Apple for multi room. 

That seems to have gone - unless i am going insane (entirely possible).

I suspect the more recent software update for AP2 speakers has removed this option.

Anyone else? Again, apologies if this has been raised recently.

All Replies

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,656 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Sep 21 2018 11:42 AM

OK i see from the release notes for the lat software update :

Other notes:

- BeoLink Multiroom together with AirPlay2 multiroom courses out of sync due to different clock systems. No easy solution on this available.

So i guess this means managing AP2 sessions using iOS devices, but not the B&O app to join other products to the AP2 session.  

No big issue, though it does mean tapping to join wont work  - i use this a lot, so a bit of a pain.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,045 Posts
Bronze Member

I am on the heta .10.1.48.58 of the Bang & Olufsen app.

Is there a special AirPlay 2 beta?

Or do you mean a beta firmware update for the devices?

Anyway I can - just like before - add any other device to an ongoing AirPlay session.

E.g. from my Essence to my tv - in the app or by pushing Join on the remote.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,045 Posts
Bronze Member

Just saw your second post!

If a firmwareupdate to the devices means that there is no NL-multiroom support anymore...

....that is severe.

I would consider updating then!

MM

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,656 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Sep 21 2018 11:51 AM

Yes, there has been an AP2 beta for relevant speakers for a couple of months now.

There was a recent beta software update on the 9th September.

Since when adding other speakers to an Airplay (2) session seems to have disappeared, whether attempted using the B&O app or by tapping to join.

The quote from the release notes maybe points to a multi room issue with Airplay 2 - though i dont know if it explains the issue i am seeing.

I will email support and see what their response is.

Again, not sure if others with AP2 beta enabled B&O speakers are experiencing the same problem as me.

(the firmware updates are beta updates for those who elected to be on the AP2 beta programme).

NL for everything else is fine - just AP2 streams cant be shared, and that option seems to have disappeared from the Product Setting / Configuration as described in my initial post.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,462 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Sep 21 2018 4:46 PM
I have the beta firmware on my devices and I can add (sometimes with problems) both 2 and 3 speakers using Airplay2 from eg Deezer on my iPhone.

However, they seldom play in sync. And sometimes one of the speakers refuse to play.

Also, if I adjust volume on the devices it’s not changing volume smoothly.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,656 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Sep 21 2018 5:43 PM

Hmm....

So on my iPhone X, i just used the B&O app to start Deezer on my A9 - and yes, then i can expand to another speaker, in this case my BS2.

But if i open the Deezer app on the iPhone, play some music, airplay it to my A9, then no, i can't add any other products - on the multi room tab it says "Can't find any products to add".

I am not sure if the first test is actually using some Deezer capability within the A9, and then multi room expanding is fine.

Whereas the second test is a clear Airplay on something from my phone to an A9, in which case the A9 / app sees no other products to expand to.

Might be interesting to see if you have the same results, if you have time.

Thanks

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,462 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Sep 21 2018 6:53 PM
This is the way I play.

Play from iPhone using Deezer app:

Tick the speakers I want to Airplay to:

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,462 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Sep 21 2018 6:55 PM
Sandyb:

So on my iPhone X, i just used the B&O app to start Deezer on my A9 - and yes, then i can expand to another speaker, in this case my BS2.

Here you use the Deezer function in A9.

Airplay is not involved.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,656 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Sep 21 2018 7:08 PM

Yes, that works for me,.

But the issue i was raising was my second test - Airplay from iPhone to A9 (for example), and then get a second speaker (my BS2) to join using either tap to join, or with the B&O app.

That scenario was working, even with the beta versions of both the app and Airplay 2 firmware on those speakers.

But now that doesnt work.

I looked at the product settings / configuration - and the option, under sources, to allow airplay multi-room has disappeared.

Which is why i think it now doesn't work.

This may be by design or accident -  but if its by design, that's a bad thing.

Because if other sources cannot join via a tap to join - well that's inconvenient, and removes a bit of functionality from the speaker.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,462 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Sep 21 2018 7:12 PM
This is a problem that B&O mentioned in another thread. Airplay and Netlink have different clocks or something like that. May be that they have disabled this possibility.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,045 Posts
Bronze Member

Hiort:
This is a problem that B&O mentioned in another thread. Airplay and Netlink have different clocks or something like that. 

This might be true - never the less it worked for a long time.

And the good thing is, that you can add an NL-tv for playing with the original AirPlayed source.

Those who only use AirPlay 2-enabled audio devices (such as the A9, the BS2...) could be fine with the AirPlay 2 multiroom function.

I would not want to loose the NL-option of joining-in, because two of my ‘audio devices’ actually are BV’s.

if what you describe will be the actual result, I would like to know, when my Essence 2nd gen would get the regular AirPlay 2 update....

....in order to turn off the automatic update function before!

I don’t have any non-B&O AirPlay 2 enabled devices (apart from HDMI connected ATV4’s) - so I really don’t care for AirPlay 2 in my setup.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,045 Posts
Bronze Member

I don’t want my B&O devices to be reduced to AirPlay devices....they are firstly NL devices!

MM

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,656 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Sep 21 2018 9:20 PM

Well i agree completely - the NL functionality should not be compromised.

The issue i described above applies to BV's as well though.

So if i Airplay to an A9, it cannot be expanded via NL to anything. The app won't show any other products in the multi room tab, Join will not work on the respective BV, and other speakers can't be tapped physically to join.

As mentioned earlier, i can't find the "enable multi-room for Apple airplay" option / checkbox. The used to be in the Product Settings / Config part of the app.

For some reason it's gone (unless i'm going mad), and i suspect that is causing the issue.

Personally i love being able to wander into my lounge, hit Join on my remote and it will pick up an Airplay stream going on elsewhere.

Would very much like that back.

Again, i'd be interested if others (on the Airplay 2 beta, and B&O app beta) are noticing the same.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,045 Posts
Bronze Member

If disabled ‘for different clocks’ - at least they could leave the option in the seup as before in order to be able to enable or disable it.

Those, who wants to use NL could enable - and those who want to use AirPlay 2 could disable the distribution via NL.

MM

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL