rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 35 Replies | 1 Follower

bincheng
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member
bincheng posted on Wed, Sep 5 2018 4:51 PM

Hello all, 

I am totally new in Beoworld and does not so much about Bang Olufsen products.

But recently I sold my Linn Majik DSI plus Ninka speakers and started to find some replacements.

The reason why I sold my really good Hifi system is due to 

1. The sound from the speak when watching movie is not attractive.

2. Linn K600 cables are too thick and look not tidy in the apartment.

3. The speak does not look so modern and appealing.

Therefore accidentally I found Beolab 8000 by its luxury design and astonishing look.

By diving in the forum of Beoworld, it is known that Beolab 8000 is not good at bass which people suggests Beolab 2/11. I am afraid that it is over my budget. Then I found Beolab Penta which I found the price is quite similar in the second hand market. But the appearance is a bit less attractive. Since I will connect to Sonos connect, I am worried that the display of Beolab Penta will not work at all.

My desire points of my new system:

1. Suitable for movie and music, music performance should be close to Hifi system

2. Nice, modern appearance

3. Possible to connect to Sonos Connect or Bluesound Node 2 since I want to stream my music through airplay wirelessly.

A lot of things are personal and subjective and relative, so any comments are welcome.

Best Regards,
Bincheng

All Replies

___
Top 50 Contributor
1,935 Posts
Bronze Member
___ replied on Wed, Sep 5 2018 7:02 PM
What is the size of the room you will be using the speakers?
bincheng
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Hello,

I will use it for my living room, it is around 5m*5m.

___
Top 50 Contributor
1,935 Posts
Bronze Member
___ replied on Wed, Sep 5 2018 8:56 PM
I would go for a pair of Penta’s, that way you can expand with a pair of Pentas as rear speakers and add a Beolab 7.4 as center.

With this setup in that room there is no need for a sub, unless you want that deep deep rumble. And for that you need your own house.
Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
94 Posts
Bronze Member
Hi Bincheng,

I recently completed a new set up for my living room.

I am connecting to a Yamaha, and in your case, a Sonos. I also wanted a high quality system for both music and especially for movies.

After much thought, work, and planning, I ended up with Beolab 8000. The bass is actually not bad, but for movies, a subwoofer would complete the system.

I would recommend that you get a set of Beolab 8000. Later on, you will be able to get a Beolab 2. While your budget is currently limited, you can always add the Beolab 2 later on, even if it takes a year. The audio system is work that will never finish!

The reason I recommend the beolab 8000 is really because it’s design will never go out of style. You can later move it to another room or bedroom if you ever change out your sitting room setup. It’s simply a set of speakers you can keep for a very long time into the future. The sound quality is pretty good, but if the smaller bass is not tolerable for you, you can always use a cheaper subwoofer while you save up for a Beolab 2. I used a B&W ASW2500 for a while, and actually kept it as part of my system since it sounds much better than a Beolab 2 after I got the Beolab 2. That’s the good part about connecting to a none B&O source, you can use any subwoofer you like!

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

___
Top 50 Contributor
1,935 Posts
Bronze Member
___ replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 7:42 AM
Not to dis or anything, but he should be informed about the issue with the Beolab 8000 when aging.

Repairing it yourself takes some skill.
bincheng
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It is beneficial for me to make a decision.

I understand your thinking here. And the need for the system is quite similar to mine.

1.  Sonos connect does not have sub output so Bluesound node 2 is an option. What Yamaha system do you have? I would like to have the wireless solution

2. Beolab 8000 + Beolab 2 is what I imagine the system in my mind but never have the chance to listen to it. I even never listen to Beolab 8000 before and I was impressed by its design. It looks so cool and morden.

By the way, before diving in B&O system, I was looking into Naim Mu-So which looks beautiful too with 400 W which produce good sound.

Howzit:
Hi Bincheng,

I recently completed a new set up for my living room.

I am connecting to a Yamaha, and in your case, a Sonos. I also wanted a high quality system for both music and especially for movies.

After much thought, work, and planning, I ended up with Beolab 8000. The bass is actually not bad, but for movies, a subwoofer would complete the system.

I would recommend that you get a set of Beolab 8000. Later on, you will be able to get a Beolab 2. While your budget is currently limited, you can always add the Beolab 2 later on, even if it takes a year. The audio system is work that will never finish!

The reason I recommend the beolab 8000 is really because it’s design will never go out of style. You can later move it to another room or bedroom if you ever change out your sitting room setup. It’s simply a set of speakers you can keep for a very long time into the future. The sound quality is pretty good, but if the smaller bass is not tolerable for you, you can always use a cheaper subwoofer while you save up for a Beolab 2. I used a B&W ASW2500 for a while, and actually kept it as part of my system since it sounds much better than a Beolab 2 after I got the Beolab 2. That’s the good part about connecting to a none B&O source, you can use any subwoofer you like!

bincheng
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for your remind. I have read those info in some posts but dont know if it is common for old Hifi system or it is unique for Beolab 8000.

leogoeswild:
Not to dis or anything, but he should be informed about the issue with the Beolab 8000 when aging.

Repairing it yourself takes some skill.

___
Top 50 Contributor
1,935 Posts
Bronze Member
___ replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 8:37 AM
Also you say movie and music. What kind of movies and what kind of music?

bincheng
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Game of Thrones, the Americans etc.

Music: Pop (Norah Jones etc), Jazz, Hip-hop (Eminem etc) 

leogoeswild:
Also you say movie and music. What kind of movies and what kind of music?

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
613 Posts
Gold Member

I have never owned a pair of Pentas and can't remember how they sound so not able to comment on these specifically. However, I have owned a pair of Mk 1 and Mk 2 BeoLab 8000s with a BeoLab 2 sub and I was extremely satisfied with the look and sound reproduction of this setup for movies and for music. I only used the sub with movies.

As a design statement, together they looked and still to this day look very modern and contemporary adding a real statement to whichever room they are placed in. I was more than happy with the sub for bass; in fact,i t was far too overpowering on many occasions but in a good way, I just didn't make use of it to that depth.

As for the BL8000s when playing music, well to my ears they produced a truly wonderful sound and I was often blown away by them. I would therefore wholeheartedly recommend such a setup. All the best and what a fantastic position to be in. Enjoy whichever route you choose, I am sure you'll be so happy either way. Simon.

Current products: BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, A1

bincheng
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Hello Simon,

Thanks for your good comments.

I just called local repair store and had a chat with them.

The guy suggests to use Beolab 8000 + one Beolab 2 + Beosound core. Beosound core has wireless connection and connect the Beolab2. Then from Beolab 2, one connects two Beolab 8000. But this system is above my budget, especially Beosound core which is hard to find in the second hand market. It means that I need to buy the new one. I was thinking to have sonos connect but it lacks sub output. Bluesound node 2 is an option. How do you set up your system? How to connect the whole system for movie and music? I am interested in the detail setup here. ^-^

By the way, what is the difference between MK1 and MK2 in your opinion?

BAND'OH!:

I have never owned a pair of Pentas and can't remember how they sound so not able to comment on these specifically. However, I have owned a pair of Mk 1 and Mk 2 BeoLab 8000s with a BeoLab 2 sub and I was extremely satisfied with the look and sound reproduction of this setup for movies and for music. I only used the sub with movies.

As a design statement, together they looked and still to this day look very modern and contemporary adding a real statement to whichever room they are placed in. I was more than happy with the sub for bass; in fact,i t was far too overpowering on many occasions but in a good way, I just didn't make use of it to that depth.

As for the BL8000s when playing music, well to my ears they produced a truly wonderful sound and I was often blown away by them. I would therefore wholeheartedly recommend such a setup. All the best and what a fantastic position to be in. Enjoy whichever route you choose, I am sure you'll be so happy either way. Simon.

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
1,019 Posts
Bronze Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 12:24 PM
Why do you need the core?

How do you listen to music? If it’s streamed from your mobile or tablet then why don’t you buy an apple airport express and use this as airplay? Or chromecast audio...

The speakers obviously need to be connected to the TV as you want to enjoy your movies...

Your TV needs some sort of input for the streamers (airplay, chromecast)...

What TV do you have?...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
1,019 Posts
Bronze Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 12:28 PM
Go slow...

Don’t buy anything just for the sake of it... save over some time if you have to...

Have a look below...

ALMANDO

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

bincheng
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Hello Kiran,

I use iMac or phone to stream music wirelessly. At least,  this is what I like to play music.

I have looked airport express solution, then you will connect 3.5 mm socket to RCA inputs in Beolab 8000. I am not sure the quality of sound in this setup.

TV only has coax output but I may upgrade my TV.

Kiran:
Why do you need the core?

How do you listen to music? If it’s streamed from your mobile or tablet then why don’t you buy an apple airport express and use this as airplay? Or chromecast audio...

The speakers obviously need to be connected to the TV as you want to enjoy your movies...

Your TV needs some sort of input for the streamers (airplay, chromecast)...

What TV do you have?...

Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL