This post has 307 Replies | 4 Followers

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,381
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, May 4 2019 7:14 PM

Duels:
The A9 sounds great but I would say the edge is a bit better from the few songs that I listened to.

I’m leaving the B&O shop of St Germain in Paris.

I tried both (A9 mk3 and Edge) with these songs (Deezer std), volume at ~2/3 :

• AC/DC - Thunderstruck
  • Carl Orff - Carmina Burana
  • Bagad Kemper - E trouz ar ger

At the end of the listening session, 2:1 for the A9 Unsure

On the Edge, AC/DC was astonishing good Devil

But the A9 beats it hands down on the 2 other songs. Playing with tonetouch didn’t change anything.

Weird

I also tried a pair of Cabasse Pearls (Qobuz HD): good, but not breathtaking... (and better than the Devialet Phantom if you ask) Indifferent

Back home (Deezer std, later, different acoustic of the room) on my BS35, I found the A9 to be only better with Carmina Burana, and on par for the other songs.

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
Posts 1,156
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, May 4 2019 10:16 PM
CB:

Bagad Kemper E trouz ar ger

BS Moment, BS Core, BS Ouverture, BG 4002, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,381
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sun, May 5 2019 8:52 AM
Big Smile
Hot_Knife
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
Hot_Knife replied on Sat, Jun 8 2019 12:44 PM

I really love the look of these, I think they are absolutely stunning and probably one of the nicest ever looking speakers—but I understand that is a matter of taste.

Can anyone confirm if two of these can be used in Stereo Pairing?

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,356
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Jun 8 2019 9:00 PM
Hot_Knife:

I really love the look of these, I think they are absolutely stunning and probably one of the nicest ever looking speakers—but I understand that is a matter of taste.

Can anyone confirm if two of these can be used in Stereo Pairing?

It’s not possible to pair Edge.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Hot_Knife
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
Hot_Knife replied on Sun, Sep 15 2019 3:11 PM

Just thinking - so I can wire these independently from one source though, right?

So from source into a DJ Mixer, and then out Left and Right to two Beosound Edge via Line In.

Can anyone see any issue with that?

Thanks,

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 614
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Sep 16 2019 10:54 PM

I don't know what kind of audio-magic the edge might be doing to the audio input, but chances are this approach will leave some of your drivers idle.  I'm assuming there's some dedicated left/right drivers so if the speaker only gets left, then the right drivers will be silent (and vice versa).  Not that this is necessarily a problem, but I usually lean toward using kit as the designers intended.  Then again, it's your money, do what you like. 

Hot_Knife
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
Hot_Knife replied on Wed, Sep 18 2019 8:53 PM

Stan:

I don't know what kind of audio-magic the edge might be doing to the audio input, but chances are this approach will leave some of your drivers idle.  I'm assuming there's some dedicated left/right drivers so if the speaker only gets left, then the right drivers will be silent (and vice versa).  Not that this is necessarily a problem, but I usually lean toward using kit as the designers intended.  Then again, it's your money, do what you like. 

Thanks, yes this is what I wondered—if there was something like that to prevent it working optimally, or if the audio input didn't have the same level of digital trickery to shape the sound. I think they are the very nice looking speakers and they would suit my home perfectly but if it's not going to work I'm not going to go there.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 822
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Thu, Sep 19 2019 12:00 PM
You can avoid idle drivers if you feed the same signal to both inputs at a time, per Edge. Right + right to the right speaker, left + left to the left speaker. Each Edge will then amplify a mono version of each respective channel, and all the amps and drivers will be active. Just a thought.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,475
Bronze Member

@DMacri

So, which one is the left and which one is the right speaker on the Edge???

The BS Edge is a music system with built-in speakers....

....and a whole lot of audio processing, that ‘turns’ the incoming source input into a roomfilling sound from both sides of the BeoSound.

In addition it can be used in a more directional way, depending on which side you choose to activate in the app.

It is not two (R/L) speakers in the traditional way!

Of course it will be technically possible to send a right signal to one and a left signal to another, but I doubt that the result can be compared to what a regular set of speaker is.

On the other side, if someone really wants to do it - finding (2x) the Edge pretty - he should feel free to try.

(And if someone does, it would be nice to hear about the results here).

And please be aware, that this will only be possible with a source on the line-input.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Hot_Knife
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
Hot_Knife replied on Fri, Sep 20 2019 10:25 AM

DMacri:
You can avoid idle drivers if you feed the same signal to both inputs at a time, per Edge. Right + right to the right speaker, left + left to the left speaker. Each Edge will then amplify a mono version of each respective channel, and all the amps and drivers will be active. Just a thought.

Thanks very much, yes this was my thinking also. Seems it would work that way to me.

Hot_Knife
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
Hot_Knife replied on Fri, Sep 20 2019 10:31 AM

Millemissen:

@DMacri

So, which one is the left and which one is the right speaker on the Edge???

The BS Edge is a music system with built-in speakers....

....and a whole lot of audio processing, that ‘turns’ the incoming source input into a roomfilling sound from both sides of the BeoSound.

In addition it can be used in a more directional way, depending on which side you choose to activate in the app.

It is not two (R/L) speakers in the traditional way!

Of course it will be technically possible to send a right signal to one and a left signal to another, but I doubt that the result can be compared to what a regular set of speaker is.

On the other side, if someone really wants to do it - finding (2x) the Edge pretty - he should feel free to try.

(And if someone does, it would be nice to hear about the results here).

And please be aware, that this will only be possible with a source on the line-input.

MM

Thanks, I appreciate the input. What would be useful is if the speaker could be turned into Mono mode and then fed the single L or R signal. The fact that stereo pairing isn't available for the edge tends to suggest it will be more complicated than hoped.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,539
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Sep 20 2019 3:54 PM

You could mount two of them on stands, flat side facing you, and have a bipolar speaker! Or invert the signal to one channel and have a dipole.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

expoman
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Bronze Member
expoman replied on Sun, Oct 13 2019 5:03 AM

I heard a rumor that the Beosound Edge has been discontinued? Wasn’t it just launched a few months ago?

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,356
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Oct 13 2019 9:14 AM
expoman:

I heard a rumor that the Beosound Edge has been discontinued? Wasn’t it just launched a few months ago?

It was launched end of august last year.

Still a very short lifetime, if it’s being discounted.

I guess it did not sell well then.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,077
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Oct 13 2019 10:56 AM

I think it was a huge flop from a sales perspective....

Like all B&O products, though - discontinue it and people will all want them. They can't win. Laughing

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,605
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sun, Oct 13 2019 11:59 AM

Quelle surprise!Indifferent

Ban boring signatures!

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 255
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Sun, Oct 13 2019 12:42 PM

9 LEE:

I think it was a huge flop from a sales perspective....

Like all B&O products, though - discontinue it and people will all want them. They can't win. Laughing

Interesting. The B&O rogue's gallery gains another pretty face. Hope it's not the shape of things to come. 

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,033
Gold Member
beocool replied on Sun, Oct 13 2019 1:59 PM

poodleboy:
Interesting. The B&O rogue's gallery gains another pretty face. Hope it's not the shape of things to come. 

Are you hinting the Beosound Shape is the next product being axed?

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 255
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Sun, Oct 13 2019 2:10 PM

beocool:

poodleboy:

I am sure there are those who do know what's next on the horizon, but I am the LAST person who would know what B&O are thinking. 

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,033
Gold Member
beocool replied on Sun, Oct 13 2019 2:18 PM

poodleboy:

beocool:

poodleboy:

I am sure there are those who do know what's next on the horizon, but I am the LAST person who would know what B&O are thinking. 

Same here, I just found your choice of words interesting Wink

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

expoman
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Bronze Member
expoman replied on Sun, Oct 13 2019 2:41 PM

I heard the Shape has been a big success.  

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 95
Gold Member
The Edge is still shown on the web site. As is the Shape.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,475
Bronze Member

Then you are in full Harmony with each other.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,077
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Oct 13 2019 5:54 PM

expoman:

I heard the Shape has been a big success.  

I certainly don't think it's been a flop (sales wise) - but on the other hand I wouldn't say "big success" either...

It got a lot of recognition for the innovative design - and rightly so, but I'm not sure it's sold in vast numbers.  

The technology and thought which went into the Shape was immense. As usual, B&O never shouted about it properly...

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 537
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Sun, Oct 13 2019 6:06 PM
9 LEE:

I certainly don't think it's been a flop (sales wise) - but on the other hand I wouldn't say "big success" either...

It got a lot of recognition for the innovative design - and rightly so, but I'm not sure it's sold in vast numbers.

The technology and thought which went into the Shape was immense. As usual, B&O never shouted about it properly...

Lee,

B&O are their own worst enemies when it comes to shouting about a great product, they never do! There’s no other product quite like the Shape!

However when we were shown the Edge before launch we were asked what we think it should sell for, the majority of the room said £2300-£2500 apart from someone employed within B&O Knightsbridge said it should be £3000 and “we’ll sell loads of them at that price”, yeah right. B&O listened to this and set the price based on this one person’s opinion Surprise
Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,605
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sun, Oct 13 2019 9:40 PM

What sort of company designs, tools and builds something without knowing what the detail price will be before spending money on tooling etc - madness!

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,539
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Oct 14 2019 12:53 AM

What kind of company builds a giant aluminum Alka Seltzer?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Page 8 of 8 (308 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL