Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Something New - BeoSound Edge

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 111 Replies | 0 Followers

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
560 Posts
Founder
kuyttendaele posted on Tue, Aug 28 2018 3:14 PM

Now on all Social Media... A new B&O audio device launching tomorrow:

Instagram movie: https://instagram.com/p/BnBltgRnRjg/

Something round :-) 

Karel.

All Replies

Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
94 Posts
Bronze Member

I don't use any Bluetooth devices, so this one won't be for me ..again. 

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,651 Posts
Bronze Member

Stan:

I really don't get the placement options.  If you face it (assuming the speakers are the front), 1/2 the sound (minus bass) is going in the other direction.  Mount it on the wall and most of the sound is going perpendicular to you.  Obviously, they know this so I hope their audio processing magic to compensate for this is fantastic...

Stan

I don't think its meant to face the Wall, it's meant to be a 90deg so sound comes out left and right.

It then becomes a problem where to put it!

Ban boring signatures!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,133 Posts
Bronze Member

Puncher:

Stan:

I really don't get the placement options.  If you face it (assuming the speakers are the front), 1/2 the sound (minus bass) is going in the other direction.  Mount it on the wall and most of the sound is going perpendicular to you.  Obviously, they know this so I hope their audio processing magic to compensate for this is fantastic...

Stan

I don't think its meant to face the Wall, it's meant to be a 90deg so sound comes out left and right.

A lot of people have an open kitchen-dining room-living room area (at least in Scandinavia).

Could be placed on the wall - one side towards the kitchen, the other - the one with the woofer ;-) - towards the living room part.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,386 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 29 2018 7:57 PM
Millemissen:

Could be placed on the wall - one side towards the kitchen, the other - the one with the woofer ;-) - towards the living room part.

I think that is definitely the idea
lassfi
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Gold Member
lassfi replied on Wed, Aug 29 2018 8:00 PM

Hi Millemis

I have read your question and answer regarding Beosund Edge,

You missed the tech spec's - try this link.

kind regards

Lassfi

https://bocopenhagen.dk/beoplay-a9-vs-beosound-edge/

daneshpastry
Not Ranked
Toronto
40 Posts
Bronze Member

This is just weird - the design is weird, the rocking-to-adjust-volume is weird, the left and right channels facing opposite directions, the awkward wall-mounting - it's all just weird. I won't judge until I see/hear in person, of course, but this isn't something I can get exciteda about. I hope I'm wrong!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,133 Posts
Bronze Member

lassfi:

Hi Millemis

I have read your question and answer regarding Beosund Edge,

You missed the tech spec's - try this link.

kind regards

Lassfi

https://bocopenhagen.dk/beoplay-a9-vs-beosound-edge/

I did not miss anything - I know the specs.

This (from the danish website) is just what I was talking about:

Som noget nyt har BeoSound Edge også en retningsbestemt styring af lyden, der kan bruges tilat opdele et rum ved at afspille musik til enten venstre eller højre eller til at fylde rummet med ægte 360°-lyd for fuld udblæsning fra begge sider af højttaleren. Retningsbestemt lyd styres gennem Bang & Olufsen appen, hvor man nemt kan skifte mellem de forskellige tilstande.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
647 Posts
Bronze Member

Weird or different?

I like that B&O have created a conundrum here; something they used to do really well that divided opinion, albeit not to the same extent the recent Eclipse did!

For me this a winner and I would far prefer to own an object of art like this over an A9, which (to me) while interesting, is not 'as' interesting as the Edge. At first glance it is obvious what the A9 is,  a speaker on legs. In contrast, the Edge looks like it could be a car wheel without a tyre; a larger brother of the Dyson Air Cool/Purifier; a robotic hoover; a children's metal hula hoop for the slightly chestier teenager! You get the picture! It's art! It's abstract! Love it! Whistle

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, E8

Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Phoenix USA
428 Posts
Bronze Member
Tucker replied on Wed, Aug 29 2018 9:09 PM

I think it is one of the cooler items B&O has released recently. I like that it is simple on the eyes, and that they are bringing back some of the B&O magic with the proximity sensors that trigger the unit to light up upon approaching it. I also like the roll feature for the volume. Its different and a bit mysterious, which reminds me of my favorite B&O units from the 80's-90's. I think it is a move back in the right direction. I can't wait for the opportunity to see/hear it in person....

Beosound 9000 MK III, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beogram 1800,  Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000,  Beolab 4000, Beovision 8-32, Beovision 4-65, Beovision 10-32, Beoplay S3, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8.

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
278 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Puncher:

Stan:

Stan

A lot of people have an open kitchen-dining room-living room area (at least in Scandinavia).

MM

I had to do some reading to figure that there is midrange and tweeter on both sides. That tells me that putting it on a wall will not give you usable separation so soundstage would have to be DSP. I could enjoy this as a floor mounted stereo system with the sound coming out both sides and the bass being less directional. Putting it high on a wall would eliminate a huge amount of walking area, and it would not be true stereo. That part belies the "humanisation" aspect of B&O. If some posts are correct, odd that it isn't a "Geoff Martin" sound concept. Is that a telling statement?

I still give what little I know about it a solid ++ for innovation and "affordable luxury". It will be hard to match A9 for overall capability. 

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Finland
147 Posts
Bronze Member
tph replied on Wed, Aug 29 2018 10:58 PM

DanTop:

On a serious note, it would look rather striking to have the Edge in the middle of the ceiling in a room with a good height on it. 

I assume the wallmount would work in the ceiling as well.

I actually don't think the wall mount would work in the ceiling. If you think about it, to achieve an effortless "roll" on a wall, the mount has to carefully counter the weight of the loudspeaker by the means of a spring mechanism. If the wall mount was installed onto a horizontal surface, the loudspeaker would roll to one side on its own due to this spring mechanism not being opposed by the weight of the device.

Fidse
Top 500 Contributor
175 Posts
Bronze Member
Fidse replied on Wed, Aug 29 2018 10:59 PM
DanTop:

Hi Tph,

That would make it a lot better. But still, it is a bit random way to place it.

Feels like it would be easier to hang it from the ceiling then. But loose the touch option. Or just take out a latter every time😂

It’s half a metre in diameter... how high are your ceilings? I’m not that tall, but a ceiling had to be pretty god damn high, if i can’t reach up to 50cm’s from it Stick out tongue
The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
647 Posts
Bronze Member

Hydraulics?

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, E8

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 8:14 AM

tph:

DanTop:

On a serious note, it would look rather striking to have the Edge in the middle of the ceiling in a room with a good height on it. 

I assume the wallmount would work in the ceiling as well.

I actually don't think the wall mount would work in the ceiling. If you think about it, to achieve an effortless "roll" on a wall, the mount has to carefully counter the weight of the loudspeaker by the means of a spring mechanism. If the wall mount was installed onto a horizontal surface, the loudspeaker would roll to one side on its own due to this spring mechanism not being opposed by the weight of the device.

B&O do magic sometimes so I would not be surprised if it worked in a clever way.

But I see your point and it is valid on a configuration like you describe.

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 8:30 AM

Fidse:
DanTop:

Hi Tph,

That would make it a lot better. But still, it is a bit random way to place it.

Feels like it would be easier to hang it from the ceiling then. But loose the touch option. Or just take out a latter every time😂

It’s half a metre in diameter... how high are your ceilings? I’m not that tall, but a ceiling had to be pretty god damn high, if i can’t reach up to 50cm’s from it Stick out tongue

50cm is not that much. Most old houses has ceiling hights way to high to be able to reach it.

Like the environments B&O used to show a contrast to Beovision11, thats also the perfect environment for the Edge😎 I dont know how to add photos but google and you will easy find the BV11 in an old beautiful atmosphere.

This launch really feels like a step back, and only in a good way!

I think the designer Michael Anastassiades also really appreciate the older stuff from B&O, and he has probably read our threads here about wanting some of the old ambiance back😄

Page 6 of 8 (112 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL