rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 96 Replies | 3 Followers

beobeta
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
beobeta posted on Mon, Aug 6 2018 10:49 PM

Hello BeoWorld,

We are starting up beta testing of AirPlay2 this month. This includes following products:

• BeoPlay A9 2nd Gen
  • BeoPlay A6
  • BeoSound Essence 2nd Gen
  • BeoSound 35
  • BeoSound 1
  • BeoSound 2
  • Beoplay M5
  • Beoplay M3
  • BeoSound Core
  • BeoSound Shape

To sign up, we will require that you provide feedback on any issues that your might find.

If you would like to participate, please send a mail to  beta@bang-olufsen.dk with your product serial number (8 digit), full name and e-mail address. 

Disclamer: We might decline you as beta tester if no feedback is provided for long time or we have enough beta testers enrolled.

Best regards 

B&O Beta Community team 

(Privacy policy for B&O: https://www.bang-olufsen.com/privacy-policy)

All Replies

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
elephant:

AnalogPlanet:

Big thanks for this insight and all pics elephant! Could you be so kind to confirm my two assuptions: a) if Homepod is set to be in (for example) Corridor and I say “play music in Living Room” while A9 being mapped in the living room - then only A9 will play? And b) in such case Homepod will be streaming source so my iPhone will not drain its battery and it actually does not to be on the WIFI at all?

The reason I’m asking is that I’d like to play music only on B&O Airplay2 devices while Homepod would be only the listening device/microphone and streaming unit. Thanks again. :)

Elephant:

I’ll get back to you

Analog planet I have to thank you!

Without your question I wouldn’t of had the adventures I’ve had today Big Smile

You caused me to do some reconfiguration of my Home App’s definitions of rooms and speakers. Please I am not complying ! It was great fun.

The great news from my beta perspective is that I was able to add both the Essence and the Core.

At least I presume that’s the result of AirPlay 2.

I also able to play music on the various devices and in the different rooms. Activating something on the HomePod to play on another room was easy to achieve.

However I don’t think it’s possible to join rooms to the HomePod using Siri. Probably possible by overriding the visual controls on the iPhone’s control centre.

I had to talk to the HomePod’s Siri to achieve this.

Trying to get the iPhones Siri to connect up to the HomePod and then send the music to another speaker didn’t seem to work. But I couldn’t get the iPhone to send music via Siri to either the Core or the Essence.

However I was able to instruct the iPhone Siri to send music to both the BL11+6000s and my BL 20s.

And also “stop” the stream - however the speakers remained active, as Siri only paused the music from the iPhone.

One complication that I have which I think may have made some of the testing difficult is the use of three Apple Time Capsule was to provide meshed network through my house.

So at times I am in one room with the Core connected to one Time Capsule communicating to another Time Capsule in another room then communicating to the third time capsule which is near the HomePod. This is why you will see the phrase “connecting...” on some of the screenshots.

I have taken lots of various screenshots and I will post them separately.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Download warning ⚠️ ⚠️

Screenshots below ... lots of them !!!!

Three separate streams - system confused by what is on the BL20s

“System” (it is not really a system it’s a collection of disparate intelligences) is no longer confused after an automatic stream track change.

Note the connecting issue from this room to the other, further by two time capsules, room where the HomePod actually is.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
HomePod streaming to the core and it’s beollab 20s

I probably could’ve use the following screenshot to do some joining of the Apple AirPlay stream from the HomePod

Instead there was some joining via the BeoLink controller Smile to the ATV’s music stream via the BV40’s ML connection:

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Examples of various Siri commands obviously from the screenshots these were on the iPhone Siri

Which was technically true ... the speaker was silent Smile but HomePod controller was broadcasting to the other room Surprise

So I tried stopping that [:\'(]

Connecting issues ?

Or something else ?

Angry

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Some stopping worked

Some joining worked

Marvellous ... must repeat this technique with the HomePod !

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Using the HomePod Siri to start playing music and then add different rooms at different times and have the HomePod stream to all of them ... unfortunately the BV8 connected speakers are not in sync with the others ...

BeoNut since '75

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
615 Posts
Bronze Member

Wow, that was some extensive testing of many different scenarios - glad you managed to add both Essence and the Core... ...and looks like BV8 sound will remain a bit of a challenge for the time being. Again: big thanks and you confirmed exactly what I hoped for. :) And now I just need to wait for B&O’s IFA press conference and Apple’s autumn event. ;) 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Argh my last post which I forgot to save just got lost !

Because I have been signed out maybe because I’ve done too many posts and too many photographs today.

And it was maybe the best, most insightful, instructive, and exciting of the lot !

Murphy’s Law of course.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
AnalogPlanet:

Big thanks for this insight and all pics elephant! Could you be so kind to confirm my two assuptions: a) if Homepod is set to be in (for example) Corridor and I say “play music in Living Room” while A9 being mapped in the living room - then only A9 will play? And b) in such case Homepod will be streaming source so my iPhone will not drain its battery and it actually does not to be on the WIFI at all?

The reason I’m asking is that I’d like to play music only on B&O Airplay2 devices while Homepod would be only the listening device/microphone and streaming unit. Thanks again. :)

Select may make another attempt to posting my insightful constructive comments.

This time I’ll break it up ride some degree of structure.

Firstly to answer Analog Planet’s original questions:

1. Yes you can

2. Yes it does

However I discovered many many other things

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
First insight

Naming of the room and the speakers is very important.

Here is my set up at the end of the day

You can address your commands to Siri either by Speaker or by Room

Making the names long such as “living room” room is less useful than having “living”.

Clearly a spoken name like “beo lab twenty” is not useful to Siri. “20” and “6000” are.

However I could’ve called them core (the 20s) and essence (6000s) !

However I don’t think it will make any difference to our families what we name these things: I think they will just want to say “hey Siri play music in the kitchen”

So some food for thought for all of you

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Following observation: that without knowing the detail of speakers in rooms and knowing how things are named and knowing how the system works I suspect most of our family will not be able to use things the way I have done today.

And the starting, adding/joining and stopping of rooms is complex and requires careful use of Siri commands.

I wonder whether the way to go is simply to inject the HomePod stream into one part of the B&O network and then use all the technology we already have to add and join rooms: such as the Essence’s Wheely.

Nonetheless I found myself excited by the possibilities.

Many of us have iPhones and some also iPads, some of us have Apple TV, a few of us have Essence Mark IIs - Core Mark Is and IIs, and fewer still have HomePods.

And of course somewhere in the above is the sub-/super- set of users of the Philips Hue lights, bridge, and HomeKit.

Some of us (Moi included) have google mini speakers, chrome audios, and chrome videos which would complicate/enrich and frustrate/delight our family/selves.

Then add Amazon, Apple, and Google voice in the future to speakers like BeoSound 1s 2s and various BeoPlay products and the possibilities compound exponentially.

I will leave it to others to ponder about home automation devices and B&O’s various gateways. That topic is well beyond me.

Now much of these additions to what was meant to be a simple AP2 beta thread may be unwelcome.

If they are please say so!

I can always start a new thread.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
And finally ? Big Smile

You can ask Siri what’s playing where ...

One of my exciting discoveries was how the Apple TV can be initiated from the HomePod (sadly I have not had a repeat of yesterday’s excitement the ATV waking up also woke up my BV8-40) yet runs autonomously from that point on. So you can actually have two separate content AirPlay streams without using your phone’s battery:

Also how the ATV can volume control speakers being played by the HomePod.

Note the volume hint on the bottom of the screen above — then use your Apple remote to tweak the volume, and ...

BeoNut since '75

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
299 Posts
Gold Member
madskp replied on Sat, Aug 11 2018 9:40 AM

elephant:
One of my exciting discoveries was how the Apple TV can be initiated from the HomePod (sadly I have not had a repeat of yesterday’s excitement the ATV waking up also woke up my BV8-40)

The only way I can think of that would make this happen is if the Apple TV remote is sending an IR command (TV) to the BV8 as HDMI-CEC is nonexistent on the B&O televisions.  For this to work the Apple remote might have to point in direction of the BV8 unless it works as good as B&O remotes. So maybe the apple remote was placed in an opportune way the first time you tried it?

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
615 Posts
Bronze Member

I believe you could be right madskp. I actually use Apple TV Remote daily to adjust my LG LCD TV volume with +/- buttons on the remote. Since I mostly watch whetever I stream from the ATV4K, then I practically don’t even touch TV’s remote (ATV also set up to “wake” the TV). 

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
299 Posts
Gold Member
madskp replied on Sat, Aug 11 2018 10:00 AM

Just tried it with my simple setup Beoplay V1 and ATV4. No other Airplay devices.

I placed the Apple remote in front of the tv and tried to play music from my iphone to the Apple TV without turning the V1 on. Nothing happened. Then i tried with video to see if the Apple TV would react differently. Nothing happened. 

Next thing I activated the Apple remote (which turned the TV on) and turned of the TV again. Now when I started airplaying music or video from the Iphone to the Apple TV the V1 turned on.

So here is what I think is happening: The Apple TV remote might go into som kind of sleep mode to preserve battery (I rarely use mine but it has keept the charge for several months without use) after a while and will only respond if you activate it by a button press. This makes sense from a normal use case. When the remote is in sleep mode it will not recive commands from the ATV and can not relay IR signals to the TV. 

I Will try to connect the Apple remote with a lightning cable and see if charging is preventing it from going to sleep. Will wait a couple of hours before i try again as I dont know how fast the remote will go to sleep under normal circumstances.   

This could be very interesting in order to turn on Beovisions with airplay Smile

Page 4 of 7 (97 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL