Bang & Olufsen is phasing out its 'B&O Play' sub-brand

rated by 0 users
This post has 63 Replies | 0 Followers

AdamS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 295
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Thu, Jul 19 2018 1:01 PM

As someone once said to me "The B&O Play sub-brand is a great idea, as it tells me instantly which products to avoid"

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,748
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jul 19 2018 1:05 PM

Millemissen:

Hiort:

But that’s probably a consequence of the “soundbar focus” that I think is coming.

And that again may be a result of a small company trying to focus on what they are best at.

After all there are - according to Jeff (read in another post) - only three guys left in Struer ;-)))

I’d say - let’s see what comes. Bang & Olufsen has surpriced people before.

MM

As an owner for decades and a former B&O loyalist, I hate to say it MM but B&O has "surprised" me a great deal recently, but not in a good way. Sad

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,023
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Jul 19 2018 5:08 PM

Millemissen:

I forgot to post this, but I read online yesterday that B&O has requested a "very early" announcement slot at IFA in Berlin next month.

The only reason for mentioning this, is the tech site in question was wondering whether there was a reason for requesting an early slot and whether there's something big to announce.

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,173
Bronze Member

moxxey:

Sandyb:

Ultimately though high streets shopping is a poor experience - Apple stores may survive, its served them well, and some luxury brands will maintain a presence in high footfall tourist centres.

The Apple stores will easily continue - just look at the footfall and revenue (see https://9to5mac.com/2017/07/29/apple-top-retailer-per-square-foot/). Also, they are revamping them, too.

Very negative thinking to say that the entre store experience will fail in a few years. Have you ever shopped in London on a Saturday or here in Bath on a Saturday afternoon? Town is rammed and they aren't all sitting in coffee shops.

Apple isn't regarded as a 'luxury' brand either. You see an average student doing work in a coffee shop and they nearly always have a MacBook Pro, an iPhone and decent headphones. Everyone appears to be able to "afford" a MacBook Pro!

The crowds in London and Bath at the weekends are probably all foreign tourists!

Regards Graham

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 276
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Thu, Jul 19 2018 6:29 PM

moxxey:

Millemissen:

I forgot to post this, but I read online yesterday that B&O has requested a "very early" announcement slot at IFA in Berlin next month.

The only reason for mentioning this, is the tech site in question was wondering whether there was a reason for requesting an early slot and whether there's something big to announce.

Save on travel expense or announce new color font for logo.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,023
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Jul 19 2018 7:00 PM

joeyboygolf:

The crowds in London and Bath at the weekends are probably all foreign tourists!

Not really. A tonne of people come in to shop in Bath - it doesn't get that many foreign tourists. It's people coming in from surrounding areas for Saturday shopping.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,363
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Thu, Jul 19 2018 8:52 PM

vikinger:

Stan:

For anyone who remembers "Paul" and "Flappo" on this site, the comments on the flatpanelshd article are hilarious.  Leopards don't change their spots.

Just took a look. Hilarious! Paul going on about Youf .... I was disappointed though that he forgot to mention Pipe and Slippers.

Graham

Paul has been around for so long now, that he has become one of the "old men" he dislikes so much... He just forgot to look in  the mirror... Whistle

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,748
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jul 19 2018 10:08 PM

What was the old hippy 60s saying, Never trust anyone over 30...oh #&#@*, wait. Stick out tongue

Jeff

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,440
Bronze Member
Jeff:

What was the old hippy 60s saying, Never trust anyone over 30...oh #&#@*, wait.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Myself being a veritable Benjamin Button lol, I was also interested to read the comments on FPHD from FlappoSpammo lol, but he did link to a site called TrustPilot, which i have never heard of.

If B&O haven’t read those comments, they really should.

I would love to be in, from a work perspective, in control of the turn around. I’d have a meeting with everyone “how are we gonna turn this ship around?” Bring on all of the thoughts, elevated opinions and energetic conversations that will entail.

Back on the OP though, it was good from B&O perspective that their headphones were branded physically with B&O as opposed to PLAY (written on them) so it makes it an easier switch. So they become B&O H9i and not BeoPlay H9i I’m guessing.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,748
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 3:10 AM

Jon:

The two comments on that killed me. Both posted "8 hours ago", bet they're the same person 😂

You're not the first person to make that very reasonable observation. Yes - thumbs up

Jeff

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,384
Gold Member
Duels replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 8:19 AM
Steffen:

Paul has been around for so long now, that he has become one of the "old men" he dislikes so much... He just forgot to look in the mirror...

I miss Paul. He always had a different viewpoint and an interesting way of looking at the world. That is not to say I agreed with him on everything.
KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 594
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 11:51 AM
Jeff:

You're not the first person to make that very reasonable observation.

Jeff

Good ol' Flappo and Paul being the same person? That's an intriguing idea... Well, kinda.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

johnnielse
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member

Wondering if this will make the resale value of B&O Play items go up or down? Perhaps a few of them will become "collector's item"? Laughing

johnnielse
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member

EDIT: Sorry for double posting...

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,023
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 2:26 PM

johnnielse:

Wondering if this will make the resale value of B&O Play items go up or down? Perhaps a few of them will become "collector's item"? Laughing

I don’t think up. If you look around, most Play items are available hugely discounted. Often on Groupon. I don’t anyone “collects” BeoPlay items.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,748
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 2:40 PM

moxxey:

johnnielse:

I don’t think up. If you look around, most Play items are available hugely discounted. Often on Groupon. I don’t anyone “collects” BeoPlay items.

I don't think the reliability/longevity of most Play items is good enough for the value to go up, but for the same reason I expect them to get rarer.

Jeff

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 10:12 PM

Jeff:

You're not the first person to make that very reasonable observation. Yes - thumbs up

Oh I see! I think they (singular, or plural if they are two different people) were on here (and sounds like disappeared?) before I joined haha

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,748
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jul 21 2018 1:08 AM

Jon:

Jeff:

Oh I see! I think they (singular, or plural if they are two different people) were on here (and sounds like disappeared?) before I joined haha

They either left or were shown the door, unsure of which.

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,748
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jul 21 2018 1:35 AM

It would seem to me there's some real risk in moving Play to the main B&O branding. Instead of giving a boost to the image of the Play stuff, given the reliability issues and other problems, bad (terrible) reviews, etc. it may well act to tarnish the B&O brand. I guess people could have said, well, yeah, it's bad stuff, but that's the cheap stuff, surely their multi-kilobuck stuff is better! But it it's branded as B&O...might not work the way they think it will.

Jeff

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,023
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Jul 21 2018 4:35 PM

Jeff:

But it it's branded as B&O...might not work the way they think it will.

We're overlooking one thing: we don't know the future B&O strategy.

One reason why B&O might be integrating BeoPlay in to the main brand is that they see this as the future. Standalone devices which they can sell themselves through their own website (as well as retailers). Maybe they don't view the BL90, BL50 as their viable future. Or TVs.

We might just see a future B&O spealising in BeoPlay products and a few extensions: soundbars, smaller speakers and similar.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,748
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jul 21 2018 4:45 PM

Moxxey, I think you are likely right, and that saddens me. It's like if McIntosh suddenly stopped producing big, beautiful blue lit hifi gear and started making only headphones and portable speakers.

Jeff

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,482
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Jul 21 2018 7:04 PM
moxxey:

Maybe they don't view the BL90, BL50 as their viable future. Or TVs.

I think you are right that we will not see anymore TVs from B&O.

Hopefully high end speakers remain in the mix to build the brand value.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,482
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Jul 21 2018 7:12 PM
Jeff:

It would seem to me there's some real risk in moving Play to the main B&O branding. Instead of giving a boost to the image of the Play stuff, given the reliability issues and other problems, bad (terrible) reviews, etc. it may well act to tarnish the B&O brand. I guess people could have said, well, yeah, it's bad stuff, but that's the cheap stuff, surely their multi-kilobuck stuff is better! But it it's branded as B&O...might not work the way they think it will.

Jeff

I think it makes sense from an economic perspective. Marketing two brands cost more than marketing one.

I also think that the target customers for Play does not care wether the products carry BeoPlay or B&O brand.

The products evidently sell.

Also, I think there will be only a few products left in what we may call the “classic” B&O brand. Probably BL90/BL50/BL9.

I think the TVs will eventually all be discontinued.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,440
Bronze Member
Jeff:

Jeff

Maybe it’s just the people here on the forum that appreciate the subtleties between the two brands. however to joe blogs it’s all the same.

It all says B&O on it so it’s B&O ?

Bring on a motorised sound bar / sound centre. BeoCentre
Page 2 of 2 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL