Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolab 8000 Standby mode

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 1 Follower

b_rada
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
b_rada posted on Fri, Jun 29 2018 7:22 AM

I have hooked up a surround 7.1 system using B&O active speakers (Beolab 8000 & 6000's) directly to an Emotiva MC700 processor. During playback these speakers are constantly switching on and off (into standby) as the sound is directed to each of the speakers. Is there a way or mode that will give  the speakers a constant signal (like a trigger) as the constant switching of these 6 speakers is driving us insane!

All Replies

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
2,103 Posts
Gold Member

Hi b_rada,

Welcome to Beoworld!  One option is to look into which surround sound setting the Emotiva processor is set to, as some surround formats send less audio to surround channels than others - changing the format can improve the spread of sound.  However, programmes such as news broadcasts and movie dialogue will normally just go to the centre channel speaker, so this can cause the other speakers to turn off after 3 minutes without sound.

One solution to this is to activate each pair of speakers using a powered cable to generate the trigger signals that would normally be sent from a B&O audio system:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/singletwin-rca-to-beolab-2-7-10-2500-powered-trigger-kit

This will connect from your processor into the nearest speaker in each pair.  To connect the second speaker, you then need a Powerlink Splitter ( https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/powerlink-compatible-splitter-doubler-2-fully-wired-powerlink-compatible-sockets ) and a Powerlink cable ( https://soundsheavenly.com/powerlink-8-pin-din-connection/powerlink-mk-3-compatible-8-pin-din-cable-with-4-cores-wired-low-profile-cable ).

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

b_rada
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
b_rada replied on Fri, Jun 29 2018 9:02 AM

Hi Steve

Thankyou for your reply. I already have one of your cables for my Center speaker. As I have just purchased a whole heap of quality RCA's is it possible to just daisy chain all 7 speakers using the center speaker's powered trigger kit, as this is the one that will always be "on"?

Cheers

Brad

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
2,103 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your reply.  In theory, you could daisy-chain the speakers from one trigger kit, but they may end up making the wiring more complex than using a separate trigger for each pair of speakers.

In most surround setups, only the rear surround speakers are likely to have issue turning on and off, as these are the channels that get the least audio in most movies.  Switching your processor to a setting like "All channel stereo" can help to give you good sound through all speakers when listening to stereo broadcasts or news reports which just use the centre channel.

My own approach is to use just my front speakers for day to day viewing at lower volumes, with the rear speakers being switched on for movies when I want the full surround experience at higher volume levels.  What type of programmes do you usually play and what volume levels do you listen at please?

I can then help you to find a good way forward for your system.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

b_rada
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
b_rada replied on Fri, Jun 29 2018 12:13 PM

Hi Steve

My exact set up is:

An Emotiva MC700

Center: Beolab 7.1 (using your trigger kit)

Fronts: Beolab 8000's

Rears: Beolab 6000's

Side Rears: Beolab 8000's

Sub: SVS12 NSD

We mainly watch Netflix series and movies, so most utilise the surround sound, and the sound is dependant on the kids being asleep or not (but full volume when they are)

Cheers

Brad

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
2,103 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks Brad,

Do the front and/or side Beolab 8000 speakers also turn off a lot during movies, or is the main issue with the rear Beolab 6000 speakers please?

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

b_rada
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
b_rada replied on Fri, Jun 29 2018 2:12 PM

Its mainly the side and rear but occasionally the fronts.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
2,103 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your reply.

I would propose initially powering down the side and rear speakers and deactivating these in the receiver menu when listening at lower volume levels, this will direct more sound to the front speakers, keeping them active for more of the time.  You can then enable the side and rear speakers again when you want the full 7.1 system at higher volume levels, then the speakers should all work as intended.

If you would prefer to look into adapting the cabling to force the speakers to remain on at lower volume levels, please feel free to get in touch via my sponsor link below and I will be pleased to go through the details of the system with you and discuss the options available.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
172 Posts
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Fri, Jun 29 2018 7:45 PM

b_rada:

An Emotiva MC700

Brad, your Emotiva has a trigger output. Buy a trigger & DIN audio cable to get reliable triggering on and off much like an original b&o system. That single trigger can be 'split' multiple times to other channels.

I've used such a cable set successfully in the past with BL8000 and BL2.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,481 Posts
Bronze Member

The poster had ‘just purchased a whole heap of quality RCA's

You are right - but maybe not the best proposal right now.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

b_rada
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
b_rada replied on Sat, Jun 30 2018 3:10 AM

Thanks Montreal. It looks like there is a few ways to skin this cat. With your option I would still need a Powerlink Splitter to go to the second speaker in each set as Steve has suggested?

If only there was a rca trigger solution!

Marthijndeheijde
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi @Steve,

I found this thread and I was wondering because I am running into a similar issue: 

Currently I am using a BOSE soundtouch adapter and 2 BeoLab8000's. As it seems the soundtouch adapter is just not giving enough trigger to keep the beolabs running. 

Would https://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/singletwin-rca-to-beolab-2-7-10-2500-powered-trigger-kit this solution work in my case as well? 

Output Bose: 3.5mm jack

Many thanks in advance and looking forward for your reply, 

Kind Regards, 

Marthijn

Marthijndeheijde
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi @Steve,

I found this thread and I was wondering because I am running into a similar issue: 

Currently I am using a BOSE soundtouch adapter and 2 BeoLab8000's. As it seems the soundtouch adapter is just not giving enough trigger to keep the beolabs running. 

Would https://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/singletwin-rca-to-beolab-2-7-10-2500-powered-trigger-kit this solution work in my case as well? 

Output Bose: 3.5mm jack

Many thanks in advance and looking forward for your reply, 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
2,103 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

Yes, this trigger kit is one way to keep the speakers running when playing music at low volume levels, as it provides a trigger signal to let the speakers operate via their Powerlink inputs.  This will connect from your Bose adapter into the nearest speaker.  To connect the second speaker, you then need a Powerlink Splitter ( https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/26-129-powerlink-compatible-splitter-doubler-2-fully-wired-powerlink-compatible-sockets.html#/20-length-02m ) and a Powerlink mk.3 cable ( https://soundsheavenly.com/powerlink-8-pin-din-connection/20-272-powerlink-mk-3-compatible-8-pin-din-cable-with-4-cores-wired-low-profile-cable.html#/9-length-18m ).

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL