rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 0 Followers

ThomasBrorsen
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
ThomasBrorsen posted on Sat, Mar 3 2018 12:50 PM

Hi all,

I have a pair of Beolab 18 speakers paired with a Beosound Essence Mk1. I am considering upgrading my setup to a Beosound Core to take advantage of:

1. S/PDIF connection: With powerlink there is an audible "hiss" at lower volume, assume S/PDIF should help with this
  2. Airplay 2: Essence Mk1 won't support the upcoming Airplay 2

Questions:

1. Is the S/PDIF out on the Beosound Core and DAC in the Beolab 18 any good?
  2. At times I Airplay at the same time to both my Beolab 18 and Beosound A6 from my Mac. In the current setup the audio sync in this is near perfect. I am concerned if I move my Beolab 18's to S/PDIF that there may be sync issues (I have experienced this with other S/PDIF products). Do you know is B&O have adjusted for S/PDIF "lag" in the Beosound Core to ensure audio sync?

Looking forward to your answers.

Best regards,
Thomas. 

All Replies

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,184 Posts
Founder
ThomasBrorsen:

Questions:

Is the S/PDIF out on the Beosound Core and DAC in the Beolab 18 any good?

At times I Airplay at the same time to both my Beolab 18 and Beosound A6 from my Mac. In the current setup the audio sync in this is near perfect. I am concerned if I move my Beolab 18's to S/PDIF that there may be sync issues (I have experienced this with other S/PDIF products). Do you know is B&O have adjusted for S/PDIF "lag" in the Beosound Core to ensure audio sync?

1. I have BL20s on optical from my Core and I am happy with the results

2. I had not heard of s/pdif sync issues; nor do I believe I have heard any on my system. How would you detect sync issues with one source & two speakers ? I can’t quite reproduce your A6 configuration ... are the 18s and the A6 collocated?

PS I daisy-chain the optical of the two speakers - I believe there is a clean pass through of the signal: no double handling.

BeoNut since '75

ThomasBrorsen
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Elephant,

Happy to hear that the audio quality is good.

The 18s and A6 are in adjacent rooms, so any audio sync issues would be an annoyance. Anyone else have a setup like this?

Best, Thomas.

beotex
Top 500 Contributor
62 Posts
Bronze Member
I don’t have the same setup, but I have a Core connected via optical out to a Sonance amp and outdoor speakers. I just checked the settings on the app and see you can adjust delays via a few different methods. Here is one of the screenshots.

ThomasBrorsen
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Elephant,

See from other posts that you have a homepod. Could I convince you to set it up next to your BL 20s and airplay to the HomePod and BL 20s simultaniously? This should be able to test any potential lag stemming from the optical connection.

Best, Thomas.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,184 Posts
Founder
ThomasBrorsen:

Elephant,

See from other posts that you have a homepod. Could I convince you to set it up next to your BL 20s and airplay to the HomePod and BL 20s simultaniously? This should be able to test any potential lag stemming from the optical connection.

Best, Thomas.

Yes I will do that for you on Saturday.

Since my post and before today’s updates I did try a convoluted test:

1. Core - optical - BL20

2. Core - lan cable to LAN switch

3. Essence mk ll - plan cable to same LAW switch

4. Essence mk ll - powerlink - BL11 - BL6000 daisy chain

I played Deezer on the Core.

I used the B&O App to join the Essence to the Core.

I could discern NO delay.

But my ears / brain is not as accurate as many people on this forum.

Still given the screenshots of the ability to adjust perhaps this and HomePod test (tomorrow) will give you some confidence ?

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,184 Posts
Founder
Thomas I regret to report that I could hear a lag when I used my MacBook Pro running OSX 10.11.6 iTunes 12.7.3.46 ...

I was seated with the MacBook closer to the HomePod (1 metre) than the Core (3 metres) and with my head positioned about equidistant between the HomePod (left ear) and the left channel BeoLab 20.

Sad there was a discernible but unmeasurable difference ... the BL20 was a fraction earlier than the HomePod.

That is, the lag appeared to be in the HomePod’s processing ....

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,040 Posts
Bronze Member

elephant:

That is, the lag appeared to be in the HomePod’s processing ....

Now, that is interesting....on a sidenote!

Looking forward to see tests with AirPlay 2 multiroom to different AirPlay devices.

How will they handle this delay due to heavy processing in the HoneyPod?

elephant - could you try airplaying (from the Mac) to the HPod and to an ordinary AirPlay receiver/device?

I wonder if there is a time difference there too?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,040 Posts
Bronze Member

P.S. I suppose your first test included the BL20 connected via optical out to the BL20, which was the reason for expecting the 20’s to play later.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,040 Posts
Bronze Member

’....the BL20’s connected to the Core....’.

it should have been ;-0

MM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,184 Posts
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Mar 10 2018 10:34 AM
Millemissen:

elephant - could you try airplaying (from the Mac) to the HPod and to an ordinary AirPlay receiver/device?

Do you mean an A1 or an A2 ?

Sure - no problem !

Give me 48 hours :)

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,184 Posts
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Mar 10 2018 10:37 AM
Millemissen:

P.S. I suppose your first test included the BL20 connected via optical out to the BL20, which was the reason for expecting the 20’s to play later.

MM

Correct - optical from Core to 1st BL20 and then optical to 2nd BL20.

However remember in my pure B&O world test there was no delay via the join function.

However the HomePod test was not equivalent as it was one source to two targets via AirPlay.

BeoNut since '75

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,204 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Sat, Mar 10 2018 1:50 PM
elephant:
Give me 48 hours

So now we know where the lag comes from Big Smile
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,184 Posts
Founder
CB:

So now we know where the lag comes from

Thank you for reminding me of my duties/ promise...

Otherwise the lag would have been longer !

BeoNut since '75

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,204 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Sun, Mar 11 2018 9:29 AM

elephant:

Thank you for reminding me of my duties/ promise...

G day Ed Smile

I’m sure everybody here is aware of what you bring to this forum ! Lets have a Party !!!

Having someone being able to answer others questions (since such a long time) by doing tests on its own setup is just invaluable!

I think it’s worth the wait, 48h or whatever the time you give to us Yes - thumbs up

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL