Help with Beogram 8002 - arm doesn't position correctly or drop

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

mmcc
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
mmcc posted on Mon, Feb 26 2018 4:02 AM

Hi All - I'm brand new to this forum, having just obtained a Beogram 8002 (with an MMC1 cartridge might I add!). It has a couple of issues, and I'm hoping to get pointed in the right direction to address them. I really don't want to screw this up.

- When I hit Play, the platter starts spinning and the arm moves to a position just off the record and stops.

- The >> << buttons seem to work properly - the arm moves all the way toward the center of the record and back to the home position when they are used.

- Pushing Stop does not cause the arm to return to its home position. Nothing seems to happen at all.

- Using the >> button to home the arm works. When the arm returns to the home position, the platter stops turning.

- The Turn button starts the platter turning, and if the arm is already in the home position, the Stop button does cause it to stop.

- The arm doesn't drop no matter what buttons I push. I tapped on it lightly, and it sprung back up

Any thoughts on what to try? I have found the service manual on Vinyl Engine, and can probably figure out how to open it up.

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
13,158 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Feb 26 2018 6:33 AM

Has the Beogram been refurbished?
New capacitors?
Check for cracked solder joints and bad connectors?
New IC socket(s)?
Clean, lubricate?
Servomotor bearings cleaned and reoiled?
New belt?
Adjustments?

If not, this would be the place to start. It's safe to say, that all decks of this type will need it by now.
It's impossible to diagnose eventual remaining faults before this has been done.

Martin

mmcc
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
mmcc replied on Mon, Feb 26 2018 12:13 PM

Thanks Martin -

The answers to your questions are as follows:

No, No, No, No, No, No, No, and finally No.

That certainly gives me a number of places to start.

Are there any other resources to look at other than the service manual?

mmcc
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
mmcc replied on Mon, Feb 26 2018 5:07 PM

Also, can you suggest a source for capacitors, sockets, and belt? I think I read somewhere that you sell sets of capacitors, is that correct?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
13,158 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Feb 26 2018 5:35 PM

Yes, I have the parts. Email/PM me. 
Can you do the service yourself?

Martin 

mmcc
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
mmcc replied on Mon, Feb 26 2018 5:45 PM

That remains to be seen once I've opened it up to see how tiny and intricate the bits are. My guess is "no", but there's a shop in my area that specializes in vintage audio.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL