Craig posted on Tue, Feb 13 2018 10:08 AM

How hard can it be?

All Replies

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,505 Posts
Gold Member

That's very encouraging Peter, thank you.....but lets not loose site of the fact that everything I do is made possible only with the guidance I receive from the more knowledgeable members of this site ;~)

Replaced the dodgy IC and also fitted a new variable capacitor to the Basket case stereo decoder.....ended up with 4 spares of each due to min order numbers......but they were very cheap it has to be said, so if anyone is in need let me know.  

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
295 Posts
Bronze Member

Graig,

If I can share a little bit of my recent experience, please do yourself a favour and change all 6 jumpers from the IF board to the tuner box.  I was done with my project and found that FM was no longer working just before closing the hood.  The jumpers tested good at both ends but all the way open or high resistance when measured from the inside of the tuner box to the solder points of the IF board.  Four out of six were holding by the wire sleeve only...  Common problem apparently...

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,505 Posts
Gold Member

Completed the work on the bottom plate, new feet.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,505 Posts
Gold Member

And the pre amp board....

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,505 Posts
Gold Member

Pretty much done with the sides of the case now........top is taking a bit more time.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,505 Posts
Gold Member

Recap complete....replaced burnt out lamp in the radicator and repaired a broken wire between the tuning lamps, now functioning fine.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,505 Posts
Gold Member

And the casing is coming along nicely.

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
295 Posts
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Thu, Mar 15 2018 12:36 PM

Well done Graig!

I never did veneer capping, how hard it is?  Do you have to remove the old veneer first?

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

Nice work on the veneer.  I see you used Titebond veneer glue. Did you use a vacuum press or did you use a flat board and clamps?

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,505 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Thu, Mar 15 2018 6:35 PM

Applying veneer isn't particularly difficult actually.....one needs to soften and flatten the veneer first, lots of info and videos on the internet about this, and also about the gluing and finishing procedures. I researched applying veneer on top of existing veneer and seemingly as long as the existing veneer is still in good condition and firmly attached there should be no problems....I've done this twice with fairly good results. As for the gluing I cold press the veneer to the substrate (the board your gluing it to) and leave it for 24hrs. 

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,505 Posts
Gold Member

Well.....this is as far as I can go, still short a power switch and of course the preset cover, Martin....got any left?

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,505 Posts
Gold Member

To be honest I'm not too sure about this colour.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,505 Posts
Gold Member

However given its condition when received I'm quite pleased with it, sounds spectacular, as one would expect, also. 

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

Very nice. Excellent work. I can't say I am a fan of the veneer color but you did a fantastic job with rebuilding the case. The nice thing is you could always make another set of cabinet panels now that you know how to do it. I think I would choose rosewood veneer just because that is my personal favorite. I enjoyed your thread. Keep up the good work.

-sonavor

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,307 Posts
Gold Member

Agree with Sonavor, I will get to the switch this evening, sorry but didnt have a chance before. As luck will my son is visiting from Denmark next week, if the switch is OK he can bring it (or whole assembly) back to DK and ship from there

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Page 7 of 9 (125 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL