rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

tom555
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
tom555 Posted: Wed, Jan 24 2018 5:37 AM

Hello,

I have been playing with my Beolab 5s, High Res audio files and a chromecast Audio.   What I did was connect the Chromecast Audio via a TOSLINK->Coax converter directly to the Lab5s.  The lab5s sound great with 24 bit sources but make small clicking noises if the sample rate is 96khz.   48khz is no problem.  Even 88.2khz is not an issue.  But 96khz at either 24 or 16 bit produces the clicks.   

I know the B&O used to say there they supported 96khz but now the specs say 88.2khz.  There was some speculation on this site that it was accidentally omitted.  My testing seems to indicate that the speaker just cannot handle 96khz inputs.  This is a shame since there is some spectacular Hi-res audio coming out at the higher rates.

Has anyone succesfully run 96khz with clean output?

--tom

oli
Not Ranked
Southeast of France
Posts 46
Bronze Member
oli replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 12:26 PM

I have the same behavior than yours on a BV7-55 (through SPDIF connexion, so using the Beosystem3 DAC). 96kHz files are producing clicking. BTW it seems impossible to find the technical specs of a BS3 regarding this aspect.

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 454
Bronze Member
I might suspect the Toslink>SPDIF box as well
CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,282
Gold Member
CB replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 4:26 PM

tom555:
Has anyone succesfully run 96khz with clean output?

Yes, with exactly the same setup Huh?

Did you use a 75 Ohms coaxial cable? (FWIW see this thread here )

And what about the source (file, streaming device) you use?

tom555
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
tom555 replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 5:29 PM

Barry Santini:
I might suspect the Toslink>SPDIF box as well

I also suspected the TOSLINK->SPDIF converter so I swapped it out for another one.  Same result.  I also swapped cables.  Still clicking. The only two pieces I haven't swapped: the Chromecast Audio and the Beolab5s. 

Oh, and just thought I would add:  I Used Linn Audio reference material.  Looked for clicks in Audacity.  Not there.   Not a source issue.

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 519
Silver Member
I couldn’t get high resolution files to play on my BL5.
davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
Posts 164
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 9:52 PM

Whilst I don't have a BL5 (yet) is there a particular reason for 96k playback?

Worst case you can bulk convert your 96k files to 48k quickly, I use XACT on my Mac to convert all sorts of formats. http://xact.scottcbrown.org/

Also 96/2=48 so the sample rate reduction is a very simple operation, as well as I sincerely doubt anyone can tell the difference on finished mastered music. So long as the original is lossless like WAV, Flac, ALAC and so on.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,674
Bronze Member

davidr:

Whilst I don't have a BL5 (yet) is there a particular reason for 96k playback?

Yes, indeed —- this way the music industry can sell their products (most often once again) at a higher prize ;-(

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,282
Gold Member
CB replied on Thu, Jan 25 2018 5:04 PM
MM "forgot" to say that 24b / 96kHz is also the maximum amount of data that the BL5s can use (so perhaps to produce the most detailed sound)
tom555
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
tom555 replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 7:41 PM

CB:
MM "forgot" to say that 24b / 96kHz is also the maximum amount of data that the BL5s can use (so perhaps to produce the most detailed sound)

Right.  This!   I am looking to replace my Beosystem 3 with a digital preamp and my understanding is that the Beolab5 digitizes everything to 24/96 when it comes in.  So rather than having a bunch of resampling or A/D D/A going on, I thought it would be best to feed the Lab5s it's native format.  So far, I'm unsuccessful and may end up feeding them 24/48.

--tom

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,282
Gold Member
CB replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 8:47 PM

CB:

?

tom555
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
tom555 replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 9:59 PM

CB:

CB:

?

yes.  75 ohm cable;  Will try another to make sure it's not a cable issue.   The source is a 24/96 file stored locally on my server.   The server is hardwired via ethernet and the chromecast audio is hardwired as well. Again, works fine at 24/48 without the clicks,  but at the higher rate (including 16/96) there seems to be random clicking noises.   For giggles, I connected the chromecast to the Beosystem 3 via analog and was able to push 24/96 without clicks.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,282
Gold Member
CB replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 6:35 AM

tom555:
yes.  75 ohm cable;  Will try another to make sure it's not a cable issue.

I've had some clicking issues with a cable also. Not sure why because it was not permanent (may be due to a bad plug or ECM (electromagnetic interference?))

Note: in my setup, the Chromecast audio isn't wired (WiFi) and it just works...

Did you have a look at the settings of the multimedia server or the router/switch as well?

May it be due to a slowdown caused by file format transcoding?

May it be due to the settings of a specific software (or the lack of) you use on your server to play/stream your music?

tom555
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
tom555 replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 10:29 PM

CB:

tom555:
yes.  75 ohm cable;  Will try another to make sure it's not a cable issue.

I've had some clicking issues with a cable also. Not sure why because it was not permanent (may be due to a bad plug or ECM (electromagnetic interference?))

Note: in my setup, the Chromecast audio isn't wired (WiFi) and it just works...

Did you have a look at the settings of the multimedia server or the router/switch as well?

May it be due to a slowdown caused by file format transcoding?

May it be due to the settings of a specific software (or the lack of) you use on your server to play/stream your music?

Thanks so much, CB, for your super helpful replies.   Just to ask:  Are you sure you aren't transcoding down below 96khz in your setup?  I only ask because I thought I had it working and then figured out I had accidently kicked my 24->16 transcoder in and was pumping out 16/48khz audio.

Anyway, I swapped out the cable.  I separated it from everything else and the clicks remain.   The server is not transcoding at all and just pumping out bits.  The Chromecast Audio can output 24/96 from the same source via it's analog and it sounds fine (which tells me the data is moving correctly to the chromecast).  So, to my deduction:  Either the Chromecast has a problem or my Beolab5 just can't handle 96khz audio.  For $35, I can buy another Chromecast audio and know definitively.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,282
Gold Member
CB replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 7:17 AM

tom555:
 Just to ask:  Are you sure you aren't transcoding down below 96khz in your setup?  I only ask because I thought I had it working and then figured out I had accidently kicked my 24->16 transcoder in and was pumping out 16/48khz audio.

Even if transcoding is deactivated where it's proposed, no I'm not sure. The many options are not often explicit for the average person, and because the audible differences are not possible to compare side by side, it's quite difficult to answer your question. DLNA and Chromecast functions are simply not accessible, but the fact I can play 24bits 192khz files (without any clicking issues) makes me think "something" happens "somewhere"...

--> I did my best and prefer to enjoy my music than waste my time to compare things I don't master / can't control...

My NAS is a Synology, running the stock multimedia server + Bubbleupnp server (for when I want to get the best out of the Bubbleupnp app on Android devices) + Audio Station (for when I want to use the Synology DS Audio app).

How did you set the 24/16 bits transcoding? I don't find this possibility (only file format conversion, and there aren't any settings for frequency neither...

The "48khz" number makes me think of something linked to video (or Airplay)...

tom555
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
tom555 replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 8:08 AM

CB:

No, I'm not sure. There are so many options here and there, often not explicit for the average person, and because the audible differences are not possible to compare side by side, it's quite difficult to answer your question. --> I did my best and prefer to enjoy my music than waste my time to compare things...

I think that makes a whole lot of sense.  The only reason I'm digging into this so deeply is so I can get my system set up.   Since I am looking to replace my beosystem 3 with a preamp that will fully support digital, I would prefer to have it feed the lab 5s with their native sample rate.  That being said, sending them 24/48 isn't bad since 24/48->24/96 inside the speaker will resample very cleanly and given the choice, I'd rather have 24 bits than 96khz.

CB:

My NAS is a Synology, running the stock multimedia server + Bubbleupnp server (for when I want to use Bubbleupnp on Android devices) + DS Audio server (for when I want to use the DSAudio app).

How did you set the 24/16 bits transcoding (I don't find this possibility, and there aren't any settings for frequency neither) ?

The "48khz" number makes me think of something linked to video (or Airplay)...

48khz is a great sample rate.  Nyquist says it should be able to get everything we hear and more.   BTW: Airplay is only 44.1khz if I remember right. 

I didn't want to resample my hires stuff for many reasons (storage, etc), so I have the server resample it on fly and then send it to the chromecast.  I am using the Subsonic server and it didn't support resampling/transcoding based on sample rate or bit depth, either.  Very annoying.  So, I have it set up so every flac file runs through a small piece of software I wrote that looks at the sample rate and resamples it on the fly if it's > 48khz.  If that script is turned off, no resampling occurs.  That's how I know for sure when the server is resampling.  If that script is running, it is changing the bitrate or depth.

Make sure you are, in fact, sending flac files and not converting them to MP3s or something.  Subsonic, by default, ships with an MP3 converter turned on and it has to be disabled to send raw FLACs.

Happy to provide more information if anyone wants it including the script.  It's like 10 lines long.

--tom

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,282
Gold Member
CB replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 8:17 AM

Sorry, I was editing my message while you were writing yours... (there are some differences with what is quoted in yours)

tom555:
I can buy another Chromecast audio and know definitively.

And what about the coaxial/optical conversion?

tom555
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
tom555 replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 8:22 AM

I swapped that out with another with the same result

danne99
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
danne99 replied on Thu, Jan 10 2019 6:42 PM

Any update regarding this?

Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts 98
Bronze Member
Dante replied on Fri, Jan 11 2019 1:47 AM

I used to have this clicking problem. Solved it using proper cables: shilded 75 ohm coaxial cables.

Audio cables, even the original RCA that comes in the BL5 box, will produce clicks at higher rates.

danne99
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
danne99 replied on Sun, Feb 3 2019 6:19 PM

hello,

what year are youres from?

Martin
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 228
Silver Member
Martin replied on Mon, Feb 4 2019 4:53 AM

Hi, I have Beolab 5 from 2015 with software 3.30a in the labs 5. No klickning noise with an Auralic Aries (96/24) with Coax-cable from the Auralic to the labs5.

My suggestion is to update your Beolab 5 to latest software (3.30a). That should help you.

Best regards

Martin

Beovision Eclipse 65 with floorstand (from STB Brackets), Beolab 5 front (sw 3.30a), Beolab 3 rear, 2xBeoplay A6 linkrooms, 2xBeoremote one BT, Beosound 9000 Mark III (sw 3.4), Philips Hue (all lights in the home), Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL