Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Opman
Top 150 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
433 Posts
Bronze Member
Opman posted on Tue, Jan 23 2018 9:07 PM

Hi All

After 16 years great service, I have decided to retire my BeoSound 3000 and BeoLab 4000 set up. In its place will be a BeoSound 2 (Infantry green) with a Beoplay M5 upstairs.

I've ordered from Steve at Sounds Heavenly a cable to connect my BeoGram 6500 (would never part with that) to the line in of the BeoSound 2. I don't have a massive vinyl collection but I am too attached with it to part with it. Plus it the albums get an airing by rotation (no pun intended) in the showroom.

I am less attached to my CD collection and would be happy to invest in a NAS drive and play from that to both speakers. I've seen the WD My Cloud device. Does anybody have any views on this or similar competitively priced devices that would do the job?

Regards

Opman

All Replies

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,302 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Jan 23 2018 9:35 PM

Did a similar move and sold my last masterlink speaker a year ago.

Never looked back.

Can recommend a Synology NAS. Good features. Easy to manage. You can decide your self how big drives to put in.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Teletom
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member
Teletom replied on Tue, Jan 23 2018 10:52 PM

I also recently changed my BS3000 and BL3500 for a BeoSound 2.

Very pleased with the BS2. Agree with Hiort and also recommend a Synology Nas. I use their 'DS audio' app which is easy to use.

jimcaj
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
123 Posts
Bronze Member
jimcaj replied on Tue, Jan 23 2018 11:02 PM
I would also recommend Synology, should you go with a NAS. Be prepared to use a lot of time though, no matter what you go with. Been there, done that Smile The easier would be getting a Deezer HiFi subscription.
beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,504 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Jan 23 2018 11:24 PM

The BeoSound 3000 is so beautiful and iconic. If you kept it and just put it in storage, you can later use it with a NL/ML Converter and then have total control of your BeoGram and CD through your NL system.

trackbeo
Top 500 Contributor
205 Posts
Silver Member

Summary: +1 on Synology

Details:

I have 4 Synology NAS'es of various model years from 2009 (DS109), thru 2016 (DS116), running whatever the price-break drive size of that year was.  The DS116 box is different plastic and mine hums when the temperature changes, but the others have been perfect.  As you might guess from owning 4, my strategy is not to purchase their 2-drive (or larger) units, but instead have off-site backup for the single drive.  But many people buy the 2-drive models and run RAID1 instead.  "RAID is not backup," blah blah, blah the computer experts say, but for consumer single-use, i.e. a music drive, I feel you can live with that as a simple tactic against losing all your music in a single failure.  I like my way better because it covers the power supply, the location against flood & fire, my own stupidity when copying, etc.  But it occasionally requires a scintilla of thought to keep updated.

My friend installed 2 WD MyXxxxx boxes in 2010 and both had drives that died.  WD replaced each under warranty, but who wants to bother with a unit that starts failing during power-up?  There are occasional stories about Synology Hybrid RAID5 having software bugs and problems rebuilding after a drive failure, but the only 5-drive unit (DS1511+) I installed has yet (since 2011, obviously) to have any of its HGST 3TB drives go bad, so I haven't tried it!  Speaking of drives, although Hitachi Global Storage Technologies is now WD, their drives have been reliable in my DS1xx.

I don't buy Synology's "+" models for myself, because I don't need transcoding, encryption, clouds, mailhosts, or other CPU-heavy stuff, just networked storage and the iTunes and DLNA/UPnP services.  But neither do I buy their "j" models, because I don't like waiting.

[[Edit: P.S.  Synology tech support is crap.  No, wait,... actually it's far worse than that: uncomprehending, buck-passing finger-pointing, ill-informed misleading, smelly doodoo.  There must be someone there who knows what's what, but s/he is well-hidden.  Just look at their support forums.  So if you were the sort of B&O customer who *relied* upon your local dealership for assistance, choose elsewise.  A Drobo, maybe?  NetGear's support is garbage too  -- at least Synology's programmers fix things eventually.  If you *need* quality support, that's the one case in which I'd recommend against doing your own local library and going with a subscription service as suggested above.

P.P.S.  If your love of B&O products is based upon beauty & design, there really aren't any NASes that make the grade.  La Cie is the closest to good-looking, but I have no idea as to the quality of their NAS software.]]

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,301 Posts
Bronze Member
I used the WD Mycloud with the encore and it worked fine.

I don’t have a serious CD collection

But I never had any issues with it.

Being that you already have them on your computer most likely you have a back up of them anyway 👍🏻
Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,511 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Opman,

Your cables are in the post today Smile

The Brennan B2 music player is becoming quite popular lately, this interfaces well with Beolab speakers.  Well worth a look if you want a combined NAS and CD ripper that is intuitive to use and sensibly priced.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

jimcaj
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
123 Posts
Bronze Member
jimcaj replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 8:56 AM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

The Brennan B2 music player is becoming quite popular lately .. Well worth a look if you want a combined NAS and CD ripper that is intuitive to use and sensibly priced.

Very interesting. Thanks.

Teletom
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member

Completely agee! For that reason my BS3000 is connected to Line-in of the BeoSound2. Ordered a cable from Sounds Heavenly. Works very well.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
1,511 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks Teletom!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Opman
Top 150 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
433 Posts
Bronze Member
Opman replied on Thu, Jan 25 2018 10:35 PM

Hi Opman,

Your cables are in the post today Smile

The Brennan B2 music player is becoming quite popular lately, this interfaces well with Beolab speakers.  Well worth a look if you want a combined NAS and CD ripper that is intuitive to use and sensibly priced.

Kind regards, Steve.

Hi Steve

Cables arrived today, excellent quality, all work perfectly. Thanks again for your superb service as always.

Regards

Opman

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,301 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Opman,

Your cables are in the post today

The Brennan B2 music player is becoming quite popular lately, this interfaces well with Beolab speakers. Well worth a look if you want a combined NAS and CD ripper that is intuitive to use and sensibly priced.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor the BeoWorld forums!

I just looked up the Brennan. Nice little device.
Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
1,511 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Opman,

Glad to hear everything arrived quickly!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,687 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Fri, Jan 26 2018 7:16 PM

trackbeo:
[Edit: P.S.  Synology tech support is crap.

I've got another opinion on Synology tech support : they were very knowledgeable people, connecting directly to my NAS to provide direct resolution after a hardware crash. Never seen such an efficient after sale service. And it was 4 years after sale!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL