Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 174 Replies | 4 Followers

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
601 Posts
Bronze Member
benoit posted on Tue, Jan 23 2018 6:23 PM

Hi,

With HomePod coming February 9th, will BeoPlay be that successful? Will they still manage to sell the non battery powered BeoPlay audio speakers (except A9) ? I think that even BeoSound 1 and 2 could highly suffer... I guess that soon we will learn if HomePod is far superior than BeoPlay (audio quality speaking) and maybe not far from BeoSounds for a much much lower price. And I don't speak about the wireless connectivity dropouts that happen...

What do you think?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
459 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by Alen
Wow, that almost read like b&o doesn’t yet know people leave reviews online. Besides that though, i still can’t imagine wanting to have our corporate overlords listening in on private conversations which they share with third parties. They listen to more than just hey siri/google/alexa, they pick up more info from regular conversations too for the purpouses of ad shaping. So with that in mind i’d rather have a somewhat “dumb” speaker or nothing at all Stick out tongue

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

All Replies

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,392 Posts
Gold Member

Apologies  my apple product is not helping me post.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,208 Posts
Founder
This thread has been quiet for 10 days - perhaps indicating that the HomePod is a storm in a teacup (or perhaps a kettle !).

Anyway I have still been playing with mind and testing tracks that reviewers and MacRumor’s forums have reported.

One popular review that generated much debate was Pogue’s blind test of these tracks:

* “Star Wars: Imperial March.” Full orchestra, full volume, full of brass.

* “Havana” (Camila Cabello). Current pop hit. Distinct bass, drums, piano, and voice. Lots of rhythm.

* Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major. All strings, full range of pitches and dynamics.

* “Hallelujah” (Pentatonix). A cappella ballad, five voices, very exposed and close to the mikes.

* “Helpless” (from “Hamilton”). Broadway pit band, pop sound, female harmonies.

Here is a photo of one of my tests ... in a new setting for the HomePod ... an Ikea bookshelf:

I did conduct a discrete test with my wife of piano, non-vocal versions of “Havana” and for once she rated the BL6000s below the HomePod !

Finally I tried an artist recommended by someone on MacRumors ... TIPPER ... with three tracks that were um “interesting” 😮

- Scapula

- Dead Soon

- Six Pak

So far I find the HomePod good for background listening and in its current guest bedroom bookshelf position I have been using it while riding our exercise bike !

BeoNut since '75

Roger
Top 150 Contributor
Norway
396 Posts
Bronze Member
Roger replied on Wed, Feb 28 2018 8:13 AM

The HomePod is of limited interest for most of Europe until it becomes available in more locations.

The sound quality is one crucial aspect of the buying decision, but the user experience also plays a major part for most traditional B&O owners - and I do expect Apple to excel here. B&O still hasn't released the "final" sw-solution to their wireless speaker range, and it's sad that the recommendation in the "firmware" thread seems to be to wire them. That issues will never come up for the HomePod - it will just connect.

The other concern, seen from a B&O perspective, should be the price point: The HomePod will cost approx. 25% less than the BeoLit 17.

Roger

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,030 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Mar 1 2018 6:36 AM
elephant:

This thread has been quiet for 10 days - perhaps indicating that the HomePod is a storm in a teacup (or perhaps a kettle !).

Anyway I have still been playing with mind and testing tracks that reviewers and MacRumor’s forums have reported.

One popular review that generated much debate was Pogue’s blind test of these tracks:

* “Star Wars: Imperial March.” Full orchestra, full volume, full of brass.

* “Havana” (Camila Cabello). Current pop hit. Distinct bass, drums, piano, and voice. Lots of rhythm.

* Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major. All strings, full range of pitches and dynamics.

* “Hallelujah” (Pentatonix). A cappella ballad, five voices, very exposed and close to the mikes.

* “Helpless” (from “Hamilton”). Broadway pit band, pop sound, female harmonies.

Here is a photo of one of my tests ... in a new setting for the HomePod ... an Ikea bookshelf:

I did conduct a discrete test with my wife of piano, non-vocal versions of “Havana” and for once she rated the BL6000s below the HomePod !

Finally I tried an artist recommended by someone on MacRumors ... TIPPER ... with three tracks that were um “interesting” 😮

- Scapula

- Dead Soon

- Six Pak

So far I find the HomePod good for background listening and in its current guest bedroom bookshelf position I have been using it while riding our exercise bike !

BeoNut since '75

Played Tipper - Scapula...

Strange Surprise Big Smile

Alen
Top 500 Contributor
Ljubljana Slovenia
76 Posts
Bronze Member
Alen replied on Thu, Mar 1 2018 7:34 AM

elephant:

Apple is not  my cup of coffe but LEGO.. Broken Heart

Great AT-AT MOC!

BS 1, Beo 1, BL 2, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2, BS 2, 2x BS 3, BS 4, 2x Beo 4, BS 5 + CD rip, BM 5, BL 5, BL 6000, Beo 6, BS 6, H6, BL 8000, 2x A8, BV 8-40, 3x A9 Keyring, BL 12 - 3, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400, B&O Bottle Opener, BV Eclipse 55  My LEGO

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,208 Posts
Founder
@Alen - a Lego thank you

BeoNut since '75

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
565 Posts
Gold Member
KMA replied on Fri, Mar 2 2018 2:50 PM
Just got a HomePod from UK, will test it this weekend in my typically moderately-sized Scandinavian living room.

A/B comparison with BeoPlay A6 and BeoSound 8. I really do not know what to expect, so this might be fun!

I'll do some HomeKit upgrades at the same time.

The toys:

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,208 Posts
Founder
KMA:

Just got a HomePod from UK, will test it this weekend in my typically moderately-sized Scandinavian living room.

A/B comparison with BeoPlay A6 and BeoSound 8. I really do not know what to expect, so this might be fun!

I'll do some HomeKit upgrades at the same time.

The toys:

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Looks like a busy weekend !

I have started renaming my HomeKit devices ... what made sense for using an iDevice or an ATV App did not make sense when I am trying to give the HomePod voice commands.

Eg Hey Siri switch on chandelier only activated one bulb. They had been labelled chandelier 1, chandelier 2, ..., chandelier 5.

Now they are C1, C2, etc

I did not go to Michael H’s extreme of 1, 2, 3, etc !

So try some experiments before setting up everything only to have to change it.

BeoNut since '75

WilliamsSmith
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member

Well, I think it won't kill BeoPlay, Because HomePod is just for Apple Music so as for those who play other streaming music, they still have chance for playing their music on other devices, like BeoPlay. BTW, I am Apple Music users, so I might to buy HomePod for my Apple Music.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,208 Posts
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Mar 27 2018 11:24 AM
WilliamsSmith:

Well, I think it won't kill BeoPlay, Because HomePod is just for Apple Music so as for those who play other streaming music, they still have chance for playing their music on other devices, like BeoPlay. BTW, I am Apple Music users, so I might to buy HomePod for my Apple Music .

I stopped reporting all my testing ... after all this is a B&O forum :)

However I would have appreciated KMA’s feedback ...

What I will say is I am very happy with the HomePod being located in the Guest room with the exercise bike so I try to use both daily Big Smile

Where Siri let’s me down is after ~40 minutes of exercise ... but that may be because I am puffing 😤like whale 🐳 at that stage Laughing

BeoNut since '75

Ryan
Not Ranked
Toronto, Canada
33 Posts
Bronze Member
Ryan replied on Tue, Mar 27 2018 5:54 PM

I'm in Canada and homepod is not available here yet. A friend imported one. My first reaction was shock at how small it is. Was expecting something larger. Despite all of Apple's mumbo-jumbo about magical technology, this doesn't even sound as good as Sonos Play:1. And really the only thing I like about the Play:1 is that it moves a lot of air for such a small speaker.  My opinion: the raving articles saying people will abandon their stereos for these things are just internet noise. It sounds fine and balanced, but the max volume was not impressive at all.

For me it's similar to every iPhone announcement where they claim to have created the best camera ever made, then you get the new phone and it takes typical disappointing photos in all but perfect lighting conditions. No better than a $100 compact camera.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,227 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Wed, Mar 28 2018 7:03 AM

elephant:
What I will say is I am very happy with the HomePod being located in the Guest room with the exercise bike so I try to use both daily Big Smile
Hmmm, I see... The iBike !

Hey Siri :

Jump on that bike and go for a 40mn exercise

Laughing

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,097 Posts
Bronze Member
elephant:

Looks like a busy weekend !

I have started renaming my HomeKit devices ... what made sense for using an iDevice or an ATV App did not make sense when I am trying to give the HomePod voice commands.

Eg Hey Siri switch on chandelier only activated one bulb. They had been labelled chandelier 1, chandelier 2, ..., chandelier 5.

Now they are C1, C2, etc

I did not go to Michael H’s extreme of 1, 2, 3, etc !

So try some experiments before setting up everything only to have to change it. BeoNut since '75

It’s good !

Cool
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,097 Posts
Bronze Member
Alen:

Apple is not my cup of coffe but LEGO..

Great AT-AT MOC!

BS 1, Beo 1, BL 2, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2, BS 2, 2x BS 3, BS 4, 2x Beo 4, BS 5 + CD rip, BM 5, BL 5, BL 6000, Beo 6, BS 6, H6, BL 8000, 2x A8, BV 8-40, 3x A9 Keyring, BL 12 - 3, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400, B&O Bottle Opener, BV Eclipse 55 My LEGO

Love your LEGO

I’m surprised how much the HomePod looks like the Sony connected speaker

Timmersch
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Please do keep posting your findings !

I find myself checking these forums once in a while in the hope of finding a nice comparison between a BeoSound 1/2 and the HomePod.

No luck yet, but your posts come close Wink

Page 9 of 12 (175 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL