Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 174 Replies | 4 Followers

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
601 Posts
Bronze Member
benoit posted on Tue, Jan 23 2018 6:23 PM

Hi,

With HomePod coming February 9th, will BeoPlay be that successful? Will they still manage to sell the non battery powered BeoPlay audio speakers (except A9) ? I think that even BeoSound 1 and 2 could highly suffer... I guess that soon we will learn if HomePod is far superior than BeoPlay (audio quality speaking) and maybe not far from BeoSounds for a much much lower price. And I don't speak about the wireless connectivity dropouts that happen...

What do you think?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
411 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by Alen
Wow, that almost read like b&o doesn’t yet know people leave reviews online. Besides that though, i still can’t imagine wanting to have our corporate overlords listening in on private conversations which they share with third parties. They listen to more than just hey siri/google/alexa, they pick up more info from regular conversations too for the purpouses of ad shaping. So with that in mind i’d rather have a somewhat “dumb” speaker or nothing at all Stick out tongue

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

All Replies

jimcaj
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
110 Posts
Silver Member
jimcaj replied on Mon, Feb 12 2018 8:13 PM
Sandyb:

a proper test from an audio sensitive guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzbTRMIFL-4

Thanks. Very interesting clip. Warms my old hi-fi heart.
Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
317 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 12:25 AM

Sandyb:
And the review below is much more lukewarm, and is a proper test from an audio sensitive guy. 

I've read a lot of love for the HomePod and a lot of hate especially in comments.  I wonder how much of ones opinion is what you wanted to walk away with initially.  It's not suprising that one $350 speaker will have some limitations that some people will focus intently on, but what's it going to be like when you can stereo pair them.  And... if Apple decides to build off the HomePod and release larger versions, what that will do to the audiophile world!

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,017 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 12:51 AM

I tend to ignore comments sections, especially this early when hardly any of them will actually have the product.

I do think there is a consensus though amongst reviewers that it sounds excellent for a one box speaker, and that gives some cause for optimism when the pairing becomes available.  But at the same time, reviewers of a more audiophile bent i think do lean towards it being just an excellent one box speaker, and nothing that transformational. If it was, even the tech (not audio) press would have gone further than to say that sound wise its better, but not that much, that the Sonos offering. 

Even the YT review i posted earlier observed that there are other sound bars that achieve better separation than the HomePod. And for all the flatness of the curve, as the reviewer says, of you like to be enveloped by music, than the HomePod will disappoint. And i suspect 2 paired still wont achieve that. (for the record, i am an Apple devotee, and have heard a HomePod in an Apple Store). And re the flatness of the curve, it cant be that impressive if the reviewer thought it was very bass heavy (no surprise i guess), and that the bass seemed overly separated from the rest fo the instrumentation.

Sure it will have its place though, especially when over time Apple opens up the architecture a bit - no TuneIn or similar radio service is a major downer to me. Hopefully that'll get addressed in a year or so. And it does look plenty good enough.

Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
317 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 1:17 AM

Sandyb:
And i suspect 2 paired still wont achieve that.

You hope!??? Wink

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,017 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 1:37 AM

Ha! And no, not at all, would love to be pleasantly surprised.

2 HomePods should sound very good i would have thought - but at 700 USD, i doubt that combo will sound any better (and probably worse) than a pair of decent stereo bookshelves with a capable amp. 

But of course, its a different product category, so comparisons only mean so much - for those who value the "smarts" of these speakers, the HomePod and its ilk definitely have their appeal, and Apple seem to have made an excellent sounding one. 

Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
317 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 1:45 AM

Sandyb:
for those who value the "smarts" of these speakers

And for people like me who only use Siri to hear her mangle Japanese names and words.  "Hey Siri what's playing?"  Actually she doesn''t do too bad, but to hear her say "Kyary Pamyu Pamyu"...

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,184 Posts
Founder
jimcaj:

Sandyb:

a proper test from an audio sensitive guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzbTRMIFL-4

Thanks. Very interesting clip. Warms my old hi-fi heart.

Thanks for the link ... I listen to the video ... it is interesting from a perspective of methodology and criteria.

I thought his economic argument was specious ... complaint about “Apple tax” but not including his labour, expertise, training to achieve expertise, nor any value add tax if he had charged himself for the labour & expertise in assembling his speakers ... and did he include cable costs, echo costs, and power operating costs !

Apologies for sounding grumpy but really ! Stick to the central point ... the HomePod is suitable for modern music and modern popular tastes.

Lesson for me is to test some Jazz and Classical pieces.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,184 Posts
Founder
Sandyb:

Even the YT review i posted earlier observed that there are other sound bars that achieve better separation than the HomePod.

I think the physical length of most sound bars would play a part Laughing to say nothing of their multiple separated speakers Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,228 Posts
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 8:00 AM

I have read online that the Homepod will be very expensive to repair as it is glued and welded together. For e.g. if the power cable needs replacing it costs $279 to have it fixed. Apparently the salesperson is supposed to inform customers about the repair costs when they buy the Homepod.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Zagreb, Croatia
472 Posts
Bronze Member

I just wonder how exactly people imagine they could get a stereo separation from a single HomePod and its speaker placement? Amazing how Apple is scrutinized to insanity for "not delivering" the impossible. :)

Roger
Top 150 Contributor
Norway
396 Posts
Bronze Member
Roger replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 9:08 AM

BenSA:

I have read online that the Homepod will be very expensive to repair as it is glued and welded together. For e.g. if the power cable needs replacing it costs $279 to have it fixed. Apparently the salesperson is supposed to inform customers about the repair costs when they buy the Homepod.

$279 to replace the power cord? To remove it is a straight pull: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjxILSOfJmQ

Roger

Roger
Top 150 Contributor
Norway
396 Posts
Bronze Member
Roger replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 9:10 AM

The speaker placements within the HomePod remind of the BL90, the automatic room adaption looks like the one found on the BL5 - and it sounds as good as the BL2? Hm. Now I'm keen on testing this unit out myself. 

Roger

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Zagreb, Croatia
472 Posts
Bronze Member

As a matter of fact, power cord can be replaced for 29USD but I guess - as with many things around Apple - people are constantly hungry of nonsensual proofs how evil Apple is.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/10/apple-homepod-detached-damanged-cable-repair-pricing/

Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
317 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 9:18 AM

Roger:
$279 to replace the power cord? To remove it is a straight pull: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjxILSOfJmQ

I've read that $279 is the standard out-of-warranty repair cost. If the powercord gets damaged the cost is $39 to replace it, upon assessment on how it got damaged.  I guess if Apple believes the way it got damaged doesn't fall within its criteria to be a $39 repair, that will open up a market for 3rd party power cables that can easily be replaced by the user. Check eBay!!!

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,228 Posts
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 9:27 AM

Mark-N:

Roger:

I've read that $279 is the standard out-of-warranty repair cost. If the powercord gets damaged the cost is $39 to replace it, upon assessment on how it got damaged.  I guess if Apple believes the way it got damaged doesn't fall within its criteria to be a $39 repair, that will open up a market for 3rd party power cables that can easily be replaced by the user. Check eBay!!!

Seems like its difficult to open https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/12/apple-homepod-teardown/

Page 7 of 12 (175 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL