Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 174 Replies | 4 Followers

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
599 Posts
Bronze Member
benoit posted on Tue, Jan 23 2018 6:23 PM

Hi,

With HomePod coming February 9th, will BeoPlay be that successful? Will they still manage to sell the non battery powered BeoPlay audio speakers (except A9) ? I think that even BeoSound 1 and 2 could highly suffer... I guess that soon we will learn if HomePod is far superior than BeoPlay (audio quality speaking) and maybe not far from BeoSounds for a much much lower price. And I don't speak about the wireless connectivity dropouts that happen...

What do you think?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Mikipidia
Top 200 Contributor
361 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by Alen
Wow, that almost read like b&o doesn’t yet know people leave reviews online. Besides that though, i still can’t imagine wanting to have our corporate overlords listening in on private conversations which they share with third parties. They listen to more than just hey siri/google/alexa, they pick up more info from regular conversations too for the purpouses of ad shaping. So with that in mind i’d rather have a somewhat “dumb” speaker or nothing at all Stick out tongue

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

All Replies

Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
317 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 11:21 PM

Aussie Michael:
@mark. I think they are released here next week. UnsureWhistleWhistle

Looks like a two week wait for mine!  No rush though, it will only get "exciting" when I can stereo pair them!

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
571 Posts
Bronze Member
I’m also looking forward to airplay 2 and hope the BS2 will eventually work the same way as a homepod. Once stereo pairing is in place, i could replace my BL8000 with two BS2.

In the meantime, i’m using an apple tv with my BV as many of you. Has anyone found a hdmi-sense that would turn on the BV if the apple tv plays (via airplay)?
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
2,886 Posts
Bronze Member
What even is Airplay 2?
egges
Top 200 Contributor
germoney
300 Posts
Bronze Member
egges replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 6:42 AM

Aussie Michael:
What even is Airplay 2?

it brings multiroom

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound + amazonFireTV, appleTV (4th. gen.) und Samsung BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (macmini, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
2,886 Posts
Bronze Member
In say iTunes in your phone ?

You can do multi room on your computer if I am not mistaken ?

egges:

it brings multiroom

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound + amazonFireTV, appleTV (4th. gen.) und Samsung BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (macmini, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

egges
Top 200 Contributor
germoney
300 Posts
Bronze Member

it brings multiroom to your ios-devices (click to enlarge)

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
2,886 Posts
Bronze Member
Great thanks for that egges
Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
958 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 8:57 AM

Also they have reworked the streaming process, so as to make it more robust to drop outs (essentially by getting the source / speaker to build bigger buffers).

And Airplay 2 is (supposed) to be fully integrated into the Home app, allowing the now playing screen to control multiple speakers etc.

Questions remains over whether multiple AP2 speakers can be used as part of surround sound with a TV. 

Also question over degree of control Siri gives you - is it just Apple Music that can be triggered, or will it there be some way to play radio stations?

Anyway, i'm not too bothered - either by voice control, or what AP2 brings over B&O NL. 

And as it says on the HomePod page, an Apple Music subscription is required for " full music functionality" - implying that an existing AP speaker updated to AP2 will be missing the odd feature.

egges
Top 200 Contributor
germoney
300 Posts
Bronze Member
egges replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 9:17 AM

i‘m keen on the reports from the anglo-saxon members

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,014 Posts
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 10:30 AM
Mark-N:

Aussie Michael:

@mark. I think they are released here next week.

Looks like a two week wait for mine!  No rush though, it will only get "exciting" when I can stereo pair them!

Mine is scheduled for pick up on the 1st day of Oz availability 09/02.

BeoNut since '75

Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
317 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 10:59 PM

So back to the original question:  Will HomePod 'kill' BeoPlay?

I think that Apple Marketing will not let that happen!  It looks like the main purpose of the HomePod is to increase the Apple Music subscriptions.

Where B&O targets the BeoPlay speakers to:

• Apple Users with AirPlay
  • Google Users with Chromecast
  • Everyone else with DLNA
  • TuneIn listeners
  • Spotify listeners
  • Deezer listeners
  • Everyone else with Bluetooth

Apple targets the HomePod speakers to:

• Apple Music subscribers
  • shhh - people with an iTunes library - but don't make that too known.  Most of the Apple info on HomePod is very vague on this capability.

While the HomePod may be an interesting product in its own realm, I don't think B&O will loose too much sleep over it.  Apple would have to open it up a lot more.

Cardinalsong
Not Ranked
Melbourne, Au
22 Posts
Bronze Member

To answer your question, No.

Thankfully for B&O, Apple is too proud with the HomePod. No line in, no stereo at launch, no other services except Apple Music Subscriptions. (What were they thinking).

The market is saturated with inexpensive speakers, and the quality of the sound is simply not a purchasing decision for 90% of buyers in this price range. 

It will sell well, sure - but it'll also be another Apple accessory that hangs around for 3 years, maybe gets a rev, and then disappears.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,354 Posts
Bronze Member

Cardinalsong:
It will sell well, sure - but it'll also be another Apple accessory that hangs around for 3 years, maybe gets a rev, and then disappears.

If that's meant as a criticism, its still better than some Beoplay products!

Ban boring signatures!

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
958 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 9:56 AM

Indeed, in a way we should stop all this pointed criticism of specific brands.

We all know that tech cycles are short, and all brands limit software updates to the newest products by and large. Apple are probably the least guilty when it comes to this. Look at LG TVs, where 2016 full 4K models dont get the latest webOS. Is that because they're dont have capable enough hardware, is that because they chose not to so as to maintain the attraction of the new models. Probably somewhere in between, but the refusal to do much at all with recent TVs is poor behaviour. Apple phones and laptops up to about 4-5 years old generally get the latest OS's, with feature exclusion generally down to the hardware limitation.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
10,639 Posts
Bronze Member

Maybe we should just take a deep breath - and wait untill it actually is there and has shown how it performs in different user cases.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Page 4 of 12 (175 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL