Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 174 Replies | 4 Followers

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
601 Posts
Bronze Member
benoit posted on Tue, Jan 23 2018 6:23 PM

Hi,

With HomePod coming February 9th, will BeoPlay be that successful? Will they still manage to sell the non battery powered BeoPlay audio speakers (except A9) ? I think that even BeoSound 1 and 2 could highly suffer... I guess that soon we will learn if HomePod is far superior than BeoPlay (audio quality speaking) and maybe not far from BeoSounds for a much much lower price. And I don't speak about the wireless connectivity dropouts that happen...

What do you think?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
399 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by Alen
Wow, that almost read like b&o doesn’t yet know people leave reviews online. Besides that though, i still can’t imagine wanting to have our corporate overlords listening in on private conversations which they share with third parties. They listen to more than just hey siri/google/alexa, they pick up more info from regular conversations too for the purpouses of ad shaping. So with that in mind i’d rather have a somewhat “dumb” speaker or nothing at all Stick out tongue

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

All Replies

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
515 Posts
Gold Member

Personally I am not keen on the look of the home pod, I have a BS1 in brass and it is beautiful to look at and sounds amazing in the bedroom. Some People will always want something that is more of a statement piece rather than a run of the mill looking speaker

Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
317 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Tue, Jan 23 2018 9:58 PM

I was contemplating buying an M5 for another room, but the HomePod is very tempting.  Given the cost of the HomePod I think I will have to give it a try.  At the worse, if the [mono] HomePod does not pass the Kanna Hashimoto "Arigato" song test I can buy another one and have true stereo for just a little more than one M5, and I'll bet it will sound amazing.  I will find out.  Pre-ordering this Friday.

Since I mostly use AirPlay it will be fine for me.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
10,904 Posts
Bronze Member

@benoit

If you ask an Android user, the answer will probably be a loud NO!

If you ask someone, who is used to the possibilities/versatility of the B&O/Beoplay devices

in a NL-network (= including the tv’s), it probably will be a no, too.

However, someone, who just wants AirPlay, will have a strong alternative, I guess...at least if he likes the design of the Hpods.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

jimcaj
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
110 Posts
Silver Member
jimcaj replied on Tue, Jan 23 2018 10:47 PM
I think B&O should implement stereo pairing. A stereo M3, would be a killer product. I would buy for sure.

Also, the HomePod has no input ports. I imagine young kids buying their turntables and two M3s. Hook it up via the M3 line-in port. That’s something.

I did read that the Homepod is bass heavy - we’ll see when it’s released. Exciting times for sure.
Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
317 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Tue, Jan 23 2018 11:03 PM

jimcaj:
I did read that the Homepod is bass heavy - we’ll see when it’s released. Exciting times for sure.

Most of the reviews I've read for the M5 said that it was also bass heavy!

jimcaj
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
110 Posts
Silver Member
jimcaj replied on Tue, Jan 23 2018 11:17 PM
Deleted
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 1:07 AM

Millemissen:
However, someone, who just wants AirPlay, will have a strong alternative, I guess...at least if he likes the design of the Hpods.

More competition will come when Airplay 2 comes to Sonos. They already have Alexa integration. If you don't have a whole house integrated with B&O, Sonos is a compelling and more inexpensive alternative. No way Sonos has the design finesse of the B&O offerings, however their SW is head and shoulders in a different league than what B&O has today. And Sonos' sound isn't too shabby (no, I'm not saying Sonos competes in the audio quality dept. with B&O, but for what the speakers are designed to do, they do it well for their price).

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
3,086 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 1:51 AM

Will BeoPlay managed to "kill" BeoPlay?

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

mczac
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member
mczac replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 2:01 PM

Speakers have never been a core expertise at Apple, although a vast amount of engineers were musicians. For instance iPod HiFi speaker didn't last long as it wasn't the best product on the market, HomePod will clearly win a space in a personal assistant market, plus its wireless and software integration will be far more superior than BO currently offers. Design wise HomePod is rather awkward and resembles a Harman Kardon sub or a previous generation Mac Pro. If customers will be willing to choose better design and likely better sounding systems,  BO will have a space. Otherwise corporate Steamroller "Apple" will run on its brand equity fuel and smash all relatively small players like it did with a smart watch market.

NickPG
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member
NickPG replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 2:27 PM

The aesthetic, sound and build quality of the HomePod will never match the A6, A9, BeoSound 1 and 2. What will be interesting is how this impacts the M3 and M5 B&O range. I haven't heard the HomePod but have the expectation that it will be better than the M3, and the M5 is £200 more expensive. Would two HomePods in stereo outperform an M5 - maybe...

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
399 Posts
Gold Member
Am i the only one that isn’t that fond of a microfoon that listens all the time in your private space?

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

NickPG
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member
NickPG replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 3:09 PM

Very true about the microphone element!

Think I feel more comfortable with it in an Apple product rather than Amazon or Google though...

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,614 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jan 24 2018 3:15 PM

NickPG:

The aesthetic, sound and build quality of the HomePod will never match the A6, A9, BeoSound 1 and 2.

Well see. I own the A9 (best speaker I've owned), the A6 (mediocre compared to the A9) and BeoSound 1 (sold it!), I wasn't overly impressed with the latter two. The BeoSound 2 is another step up though, but it's £1500.

A lot of people will buy the HomePod simply as it's from Apple. People are like sheep in this respect, sadly.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,383 Posts
Bronze Member

NickPG:

Very true about the microphone element!

Think I feel more comfortable with it in an Apple product rather than Amazon or Google though...

Im amused that you thunk they're different,  let alone better!

Ban boring signatures!

Page 1 of 12 (175 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL