BeoSound 5 Not Recognizing CD ID and Track Names

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 5 Followers

greenmg
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
greenmg posted on Mon, Jan 15 2018 12:51 PM

Just ripped two new albums to my BeoSound 5 disk and found they both were recorded as Unknown and with no named tracks or album cover artwork.  Is this a glitch other users are experiencing currently?  I am wondering if it is a bug in a new automatic update.  It has been about one month since last successful ripping operation.

All Replies

beorumples
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes, I'm experiencing the same issue and it's quite frustrating. I spend some time trying to problem solve why internet connection read "no" and still had N.Radio working fine until I read others with same problem.

greenmg
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Here is the response of Band & Olufsen - it is a disgrace!

Thank you for your request. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

Subject

My BeoSound 5 has stopped finding the identity of music albums, artwork and...

Response By Email (Ina Bang Andersen) (29/01/2018 12.37 PM)
Thank you for contacting Bang & Olufsen Customer Service regarding your BeoSound 5 with CD Ripping Device.

The BeoSound 5 CD Ripping Device has been utilizing an external supplier company/service for matching the CD to its metadata (e.g. album cover, artist names, track names, etc) and making it visible to the BeoSound 5 display.
Unfortunately, with the decline of CDs, our supplier has decided to terminate this service by end of December 2017. This means that you can continue to use your BeoSound 5 CD ripping device as a CD player or CD ripping device, however, newly ripped CDs will not have any metadata available.

Already ripped CDs which are stored on the BeoMaster 5 are not affected, and you can continue to see your metadata.
However, it is very important to avoid performing a factory reset or rebuild database since this will wipe out all metadata and covers which then cannot be retrieved.

Metadata can be modified via a tag editor installed on a pc connected to BeoMaster 5.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.

Please do not hesitate contacting your Bang & Olufsen dealer for further assistance

Kind regards,
Ina Bang Andersen (Ms) | Customer Service

Bang & Olufsen A/S | Peter Bangs Vej 15 | DK-7600 Struer | Denmark
www.bang-olufsen.comwww.beoplay.com

Customer By CSS Web (Michael Green) (27/01/2018 04.31 PM)
My BeoSound 5 has stopped finding the identity of music albums, artwork and track names. It worked OK in 4Q 2017 but since start of 2018 I can only rip to Unknown. My internet connection is working fine. The system was installed by professional B&O dealer. I believe it is due to a faulty automatic update.
northswede
Not Ranked
Stockholm - Sweden
34 Posts
Bronze Member

The BeoSound 5 are getting old rather quickly Sad

But I guess this is the danger with connected devices.
It's not only the hardware that gets older, services might also be removed with essentially no prior notice.

I wonder how this will affect the customers willingess to pay premium for streaming devices?

Maybe this is one reason that the BeoSound Moment was discontinued?

greenmg
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

It wasn't long ago that Spotify and Deezer also stopped support for the BeoSound 5, removing the online streaming option which was a modern alternative to buying a CD.  I wonder how long it will remain an internet radio device?

You would think that searching metadata online, like iTunes still routinely performs, would not require so much effort and resources to the extent that a service actually needs to be discontinued.

I feel absolutely let down by Bang & Olufsen.  I bought into their concept and now they just move on without even warning customers it was about to happen and without informing customers it had happened after the event.

Very poor customer support.

greenmg
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Well that is the end of that then!

I wonder what protections to customers EU consumer law offers?

Second response to greening from B&O:

I am indeed sorry to send a such disappointing answer. I have conferred with the responsible Product Manager, who states as follows:

We totally understand your concerns, and we are doing our best to support all our existing products and provide software updates with new features, whenever possible.
Unfortunately, there are some situations where this is not possible. Especially when external services, on which we have no direct control, are involved. The BeoSound 5 CD metadata was such a case, as the number of users that still use this functionality is very limited, and being able to provide an alternative solution is also not feasible. Having said that, please bear in mind that the product is still fully functional; All existing CDs that have been ripped can continue to have their metadata. And new CDs can be ripped, but the metadata layer will not be available, unfortunately.

Kind regards,

sfbeo21
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member

I cannot believe that this function has been lost. Let alone without any announcement!

I happened to come across this thread whilst searching the net for a solution. I too feel very let down by B&O customer service, this function was one of the main selling points for me, especially when I consider the capital outlay that went into the hardware.

The least that B&O can do is provide an explanation/patch on how the required information can be entered manually so that it is displayed on the BeoSound 5

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
461 Posts
Bronze Member
sfbeo21:

The least that B&O can do is provide an explanation/patch on how the required information can be entered manually so that it is displayed on the BeoSound 5

Easy peasy.

Download Bliss Music Tagger, point it to your BM5, adjust the settings to your liking and it will fix/retag/add artwork to all the ripper’s CDs.

No probleme.

Barry
beorumples
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member

Will the Bliss Music Tagger software display album art on BS5 when just playing a CD and not ripping it??

VANTAGE
Not Ranked
66 Posts
Bronze Member

I have never been a fan of the CD ripping device (and I have one!): I mean the ripping works fine, but compilations or multiple CD albums always get messed up afterwards on the BS5. Furthermore, the album art it adds is crappy (low resolution), assuming it is actually found.

The solution? If you have a PC, rip the CDs in FLAC and use MP3Tag (it's free!) to do the tagging yourself and add proper album artwork. And where do you get album artwork in the perfect resolution? iTunes of course, which provides (practically) all the album artwork you need in the optimal resolution, i.e. 600x600 pixels in 16 mio colours. If iTunes doesn't have the artwork, scan your CD covers yourself. Once you have done that, you transfer your perfectly-tagged files with beautiful artwork to the BM5.

So yes, all this does take extra time! But afterwards, you have all your albums in the correct order on your system, and displaying optimal artwork (Steve Jobs would use the term 'gorgeous' I think).

I hope this helps!

Beovision Eclipse 65 -  BL5 - BL3

McIntosh MC601 x 2 - McIntosh C50 - McIntosh D100 -  McIntosh MHP1000 - Focal Scala V2 Utopia - McIntosh McAire

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
461 Posts
Bronze Member
beorumples:

Will the Bliss Music Tagger software display album art on BS5 when just playing a CD and not ripping it??

Hi

Probably not, as the software resides somewhere other than the ripper.

B
greenmg
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

I have been provided with assistance from the Guildford,UK dealership of B&O and am establishing a work around to replace the ripping facility on the BeoSound 5 with an appropriate ripper on a computer in my home network.

I was able to connect the BeoMaster 5 disk to my iMac in Finder using instructions in a Technical Information document issued by B&O in March 2017, which replaces the defunct BeoConnect software.

In short you need to establish the IP address and User Name of your BS-5 in MODE-> SETTINGS-> NETWORK INFO->

and set a client password on the BS5 in MODE-> SETTINGS -> NETWORK SETTINGS,

which you get to by pressing the > button twice then GO when at the SETTINGS stage.

Then using the IP address and the new password, set up the BM-5 as a server on your home networked computer (through your internet router).  On a Mac go to Finder-> GO -> Connect to Server and complete the dialog with the the user NAME (default is BM-USER) and password, saving the latte to the keychain for repeated easy access.  This puts the MB5 disk as a shared drive on the computer to which you can drag and drop music files and associated metadata that you have ripped on the computer.

My remaining question to you ALL out there is what kind of file types will a BeoSound 5 play...that are lossless in terms of audio quality.

The BS-5 device itself copies CD data to Windows Media Audio (.wma files) but reading around I can see FLAC is a free software that compresses audio to a ZIP like .flac file format which plays back as lossless audio.  But before I pollute my BM5 disk with unwanted audio files I need to know if the BeoSaound 5 can play .flac files?  Or what other lossless files?

Mike

gerard
Top 500 Contributor
Luxembourg
249 Posts
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sun, Mar 4 2018 11:10 AM
As BM5 is pointing to a third party service provider, wouldn't it be possible to make the BM5 point to http://www.freedb.org ?
greenmg
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Gerard and others, I do not follow the pointing of the BM-5 at anything on the internet, it is the other way round.  Use your computer to point at the BM-5 and use a software installed on your computer to rip and relay internet derived metadata to the folder simultaneous with the ripping action.

I tried "Switch" software to rip and assign metadata and although it ripped ok I wasn't able to customise the metadata to suit the layout that the BeoSound 5 expects and displays.

I was then recommended "dBpoweramp" software by a B&O engineer and it has worked a dream.

If you have the BeoMaster 5 drive connected as a server/network drive on your computer, simply set the destination folder to the Music folder on the BeoMaster 5 disk.  The output appears on my BeoSound 5 screen exactly as if I had ripped it on the B&O device.

A 21 day evaluation trial of dBpoweramp is possible from the website before you buy and marketing material is reassuring on issues such as Malware prevention.

The dBpoweramp software will rip in 8 levels of Lossless Flac and Uncompressed, with a default at Lossless Level 5, which results in 96-99% accuracy. The album artwork is selected from the internet by choosing an image to your own preference of graphic content and file size/resolution.

This means the BeoSound 5 can remain in my home rather than becoming an obsolete piece of junk.

gerard
Top 500 Contributor
Luxembourg
249 Posts
Bronze Member
I bought the BS5 some month ago to have a all in one ripping solution for my wife, until now I ripped my CD collection on PC with EAC Exact Audio Copy and then finished tagging with MP3tag, all files are stored on my NAS.

It's the "plug n' play" solution of the BS5/BM5 that I'm searching. Otherwise I think BS5E would have been good to.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL