Beosound Core reliability

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Max1234
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Max1234 Posted: Mon, Jan 8 2018 2:23 PM

Am thinking of getting the Core for some new beolab 20s. However, I have previously had major issues with the Moment and have read about issues with the Essence. Does the Core suffer from the same reliability/connectivity/software problems?

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Bronze Member

Hard to say as not many units have been sold! However, this product is designed to be future proof, offering a variety of outputs and the ability to update the software. The core seems to be the "audio output" for future sound systems and the "receiver" for beolink multiroom. Seeing this, it is likely that the core is here to stay for a while and therefore should be reliable, at least in the long run! 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,076
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Jan 9 2018 12:14 PM
I have had no problems with my Core

BeoNut since '75

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 1,970
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Jan 9 2018 2:24 PM
elephant:

I have had no problems with my Core BeoNut since '75

Are you using an essence remote with it Mr Elephant?
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,076
Founder
Duels:

Are you using an essence remote with it Mr Elephant?

Not at this time

I still have the Essence

So the App is the better combined controller

BeoNut since '75

BillC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Wed, Jan 10 2018 7:32 AM
Hi Max

I have the Core attached to two BeoLab 3s.

The chromecast of music is solid and no issues. The airplay does however drop on and off from my iPhone. I haven’t tried it with other devices except for my IPhone.

jkjaer
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
jkjaer replied on Fri, Jan 12 2018 8:28 AM

I have the BS Core connected to the BL 20s via optical. So far, everything has been working well for me, except for two things.

1) The B&O app sometimes forgets that I have registered the Core as a product so I have to do it again. I guess this is a problem with the app (Android), though.

2) I have connected my LG OLED tv to the optical input on the Core. If I do not disable line in sensitive in the B&O app, then the Core randomly switches to the optical input even if a) the TV is turned off and b) the optical cable is disconnected from the TV (but still connected to the Core).  If I disconnect the cable from the Core, then I do not experience the problem. The problem is so annoying that I have to disable line in sensitive on the Core and manually switch to the optical input when I want the TV sound.

I almost exclusive use the Core for TV sound and Spotify Connect so I cannot comment on the reliability of Bluetooth, Airplay, etc. I have also the Essence Remote connected to the Core and it has worked flawlessly so far.

Weebyx
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 905
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Fri, Jan 12 2018 8:45 AM

What about sound delay with the LG tv and core ?

Can the core run without delay at all on optical in regarding picture/sound sync issues ?

I have just sold my Beosound Moment, gave up on it now it has been discontinued, and would like to get a product that hopefully will be better supported/bugfixed in the future.

/Jacob

jkjaer
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
jkjaer replied on Fri, Jan 12 2018 9:50 AM

The optical delay can be disabled on the core. See a bit more here:
http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/29036/231652.aspx

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,076
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Jan 13 2018 6:33 AM
jkjaer:

1) The B&O app sometimes forgets that I have registered the Core as a product so I have to do it again. I guess this is a problem with the app (Android), though.

I have not had this issue with the iOS beta version.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,076
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Jan 13 2018 6:37 AM
jkjaer:

I almost exclusive use the Core for TV sound and Spotify Connect so I cannot comment on the reliability of Bluetooth, Airplay, etc.

I used to use the Essence 80% or more of the time in airplay mode of Apple Music.

With Deezer HiFi, the Core, and the optical connections I am now 100% Deezer ... and seriously questioning my Apple subscriptions !

I have also the Essence Remote connected to the Core and it has worked flawlessly so far.

Good to hear this !

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 2,917
Bronze Member

elephant im also 100% deezer

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 514
Bronze Member
Max1234:

Am thinking of getting the Core for some new beolab 20s. However, I have previously had major issues with the Moment and have read about issues with the Essence. Does the Core suffer from the same reliability/connectivity/software problems?

I experimented with Core for nearly 2 months with the Beolab 90s and it was very troublesome and not fit for purpose. It kept freezing and wouldn’t allow you to change tracks on Deezer Elite Hifi or from my NAS smoothly. It dropped artwork, it wouldn’t fast forward through tracks, it wouldn’t load tracks into play queue and would just stop responding suddenly. It was terrible. I then used Roon on my laptop via USB and as well as Roon being the most beautiful and responsive piece of music software around it never missed a step and ran smoothly 100% of the time. I got a full refund. Glad I tried it but it’s astronomically far from complete and deeply underperforming at the moment.
Grmntm
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Grmntm replied on Wed, Feb 14 2018 1:56 PM

Hi jkjaer

Read your post with interest.

I have basically the same system as you, core, bl20 and lg oled (c7) tv. I also have exactly the same issue you describe with the optical cable connected to the tv. Almost always the core will switch to optical if the tv is off within 10sec to 2min. No issue if I play music from any source while the tv is on, or if I unplug the optical cable from the core.

I have a second issue which only started about three weeks ago, is sometimes when the system is off it is waking then generating a short (approx 30 seconds and fairly loud) burst of static. This is happened three times to date.

I don’t have the registration problem but am using iOS.

Be interested to hear if you or anyone else has had a similar issue, or found a resolution.

Grmntm
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Grmntm replied on Wed, Feb 14 2018 2:14 PM

Hi jkjaer

i have basically the same system as you, core, bl20 and lg oled tv (c7). I also have exactly the same issue you describe with the optical cable connected to the tv. Almost always the core will switch to optical if the tv is off (within 10sec to 2min). No issue if I play music from any source while the tv is on, or unplug the optical cable from the core.

I have a second issue which only started about three weeks ago. Sometimes when the system is off, it is waking and playing a short burst of static (about 30sec and fairly loud). This is happened only three times over this period, with and without the optical cable plugged in. Ie the only connections the core has aside from the optical cable are the power, power link, Ethernet and our wireless network through which we play from Apple products/Deezer.

I don’t have the registration issue, but are using iOS.

be keen to hear if you have found a resolution, or experienced the second problem.

digi
Top 500 Contributor
Bremen
Posts 73
Bronze Member
digi replied on Wed, Feb 14 2018 2:30 PM

Hello,

I have connected the BS Core to my BS 9000 (BS Core: Powerlink configured as LineOut connected to BS 9000 AuxIn) and I'm using Deezer as music provider and TuneIn for radio.  Everything works fine and the sound quality is excellent. I'm only missing some Deezer functions at the B&O App (e.g. Flow, adding songs to playlist).

Digi

BV 14-55 mit BL 18, BL 8000, BL 2, BeoRemote One-BT, ATV 3; BS 9000 & BS Core & BS 4500 mit BL 12-3, BL 12-2, BeoLink 1000; BeoLine mit BC 2, BC 6000; BS 8; BeoVox CX100; BeoTime (analog), BeoTime (digital); Earphone A8; Beoplay H3 + P2

jkjaer
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
jkjaer replied on Wed, Feb 14 2018 4:10 PM

Grmntm:

Hi jkjaer

i have basically the same system as you, core, bl20 and lg oled tv (c7). I also have exactly the same issue you describe with the optical cable connected to the tv. Almost always the core will switch to optical if the tv is off (within 10sec to 2min). No issue if I play music from any source while the tv is on, or unplug the optical cable from the core.

I have a second issue which only started about three weeks ago. Sometimes when the system is off, it is waking and playing a short burst of static (about 30sec and fairly loud). This is happened only three times over this period, with and without the optical cable plugged in. Ie the only connections the core has aside from the optical cable are the power, power link, Ethernet and our wireless network through which we play from Apple products/Deezer.

I don’t have the registration issue, but are using iOS.

be keen to hear if you have found a resolution, or experienced the second problem.

No, I have unfortunately not found a solution to the line-in/optical sensitivity issue. I have, however, discovered why my B&O app forgets the core. Apparently, the same core cannot be assigned to more than one B&O-account. My girlfriend also has an account so we have been stealing the core from each other :/

Fortunately, I have also not experienced the second issue you describe.

beotex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
Bronze Member
beotex replied on Wed, Feb 14 2018 4:51 PM
I’ve got a Core connected to a Sonance amp and Sonarray outdoor system that I use as a multiroom device. So far, it works great, no issues.

The Core is connected wireless to the home network and via optical to the amp.
Grmntm
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Grmntm replied on Thu, Feb 15 2018 1:15 PM

Thanks jkjaer for the reply.  I think the static noise is caused by/related to the 'Whaale' app that we use in conjunction with Deezer for multi room on airplay but still trying to figure it out.  

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL