rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Mark
Top 200 Contributor
Malvern
381 Posts
Founder
Mark posted on Thu, Dec 21 2017 2:30 PM

10-20 minutes into a DVD movie, my Avant DVD, type 8443 freezes. You can hear a sound as though the DVD player is searching for the next track, but failing to find it.

I've tried several known good DVDs and had the same problem.

Tried blowing over the lens in case it was just a bit of dust.

I've re-capped the 74 and 75 DVD power boards, in case that was the problem, but no change.

Next step has to be to try a new mechanism or replace the DVD "chassis" - the DVD PCB (PCB998). It's an SD3 unit.

Can anyone suggest where I can buy/borrow/obtain either a replacement mechanism or a replacement chassis?

Thank you,

Mark

All Replies

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
999 Posts
Bronze Member
Have you tried cleaning the lens with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton bud? I had the same problem years ago and it started working after this.

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Mark
Top 200 Contributor
Malvern
381 Posts
Founder
Mark replied on Thu, Dec 21 2017 11:33 PM

Good idea. I've now tried cleaning the top surface of the final lens (the surface adjacent to the DVD surface) but it sadly made no difference.

I haven't tried cleaning the focusing lens yet, as that would require dismantling the mechanism. It does seem to be related to play time, rather than location on the disk (13 minutes this time, starting in the middle of a disk).

Mark

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
370 Posts
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Fri, Dec 22 2017 12:52 PM

My experience suggests that this is the end of the DVD mechanism and it's exactly what the DVD player in my old Avant 32RF started doing. I did buy an identical DVD mechanism from eBay that was allegedly working and it refused to operate at all in my set - Tim Jarman did warn that there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which mechanisms will work with each TV!

In the end, I gave up on it and bought a standalone DVD player.

Mark
Top 200 Contributor
Malvern
381 Posts
Founder
Mark replied on Fri, Dec 22 2017 5:08 PM

I'd prefer to fix the built-in DVD, because I really don't have the space for another player.

To allow us to play the odd DVD over Christmas, I connected up a DVD1. Unfortunately, the Avant DVD does not offer the option of controlling an external DVD player (DVD or DVD2 do not appear in the Connections menus). Therefore, oddly, to anything more than just playing a DVD I'll have to get a non-B&O player to hook up to the Avant!

:(

I was hoping that someone would say "oh, it's the same mechanism as used in a XXX" and I could then go and get one. Maybe it's not that simple.

Mark

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL