Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beovision 14 the end of Bang Olufsen Tv

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 76 Replies | 3 Followers

stuart50_1
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member
stuart50_1 posted on Wed, Dec 13 2017 3:16 PM

Hi all

I have been a very long and loyal Bang Olufsen customer . Last year I bought the Beovision 14 , with the Android system , I appreciate the fact that B&O are a small Tv company , I also under stand that B&O need to do something to keep in the market place. I have been informed by my retailer that when B&O run out of the panels for the Avant and 14  that will be the end of production. And the LG will be the way forward using both LG panels but also their operating system.

I like how everybody has bought a Beo 14 will be left with a very expensive experiment that did not work . We are still experiencing crashing and the fact it does not always turn on my skybox , it has to be pressed twice for it to work

It will be just like the BeoMaster 5 with no software to connect the system . The dealer has said that the 14 will still get updates to remedy its issues? Yes of course it will when it looks like there having similar problems with the Eclipse their new flagship TV. I know they both operate on different operating systems but that is besides the point all their resources will be now be redirected into solving their eclipse issues.

My tv is just twelve months old and what are the chances of it ever been fully correct as advertised ,is this not a breach of contract as the tv is not working correctly. All the dealer does is point out that it’s Androids fault surely its B&O’s issue as the tv was released far too early ? 

Any  thoughts out there. Stuart

All Replies

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
577 Posts
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 8:48 PM
SHEFFIELD:

The margins on TVs are dreadful compared to speakers. I remember when we worked to a 40% gross margin on TVs, nothing like that these days...

So I wonder if LG, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic etc. are making a loss on TVs and make up for it in other product categories, or they make a profit with small margins & high volume (the benefits of economics of scale).

Given how much dealers can discount the mainstream TVs, I think each year the new top-of-the-line models begin with healthy margins, make the profits and then fire sell the rest. For example Sony A1 can now be had at half the launch price, when CES 2018 is right around the corner.

For a small player such as B&O, even with their prices, finding the sweet spot of price/volume must have proven impossible – added with the losses that surely incurred from their software development mishaps which were perceived – rightly so – as an unforgivable lack of quality. In a way, B&O is also trapped in the luxury category, where prices should never come down to dismay the customers who have paid a hefty premium.

My humble opinion is that B&O should have sticked with their barebones TV/Audio/ML&NL platform that they achieved with BV11 and Avant (pre-NG), and let people choose the "smart box" of their choice: AppleTV, Nvidia Shield, etc.

In the past, I have paid for the design, materials and quality of BeoVisions (the look & feel) – never for their "smart" platform. I just about never used the smartTV part of BV11, yet I didn't find the TV lacking in any way. With PUC & AppleTV, I had a perfect combination – a combination where I could at any point update the smart part or even change smart platforms without changing the TV.

I guess B&O are too far gone down the rocky TV path to make a 180 and do what for example Loewe does – to return to where they were pre-Android / LG. From my point of view as a customer, they were in a good place when either BV11 or Avant (pre-NG) were their flagship.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,367 Posts
Bronze Member
Is the BV11-46 still available?
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,367 Posts
Bronze Member
andy_js:

It’s easier (and less harmful to your reputation) to fix the software /before/ giving it to your customers. They should have delayed and doubled down until it was done.

I would have loved to see the test cases they used and the success factors.

Does it turn on? Success. Hmmmm

They couldn’t delay any longer, they were already L A T E ,to the party

They just didn’t have real world test cases, obviously. And they should hang their heads in shame. They took good peoples money.

Moxxey made sense that it makes business sense to kill the erroneous line if it’s not fixable. Obviously there are good working units and I’m happy that their owners are happy and have good working units.
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,367 Posts
Bronze Member
KMA:

So I wonder if LG, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic etc. are making a loss on TVs and make up for it in other product categories, or they make a profit with small margins & high volume (the benefits of economics of scale).

Given how much dealers can discount the mainstream TVs, I think each year the new top-of-the-line models begin with healthy margins, make the profits and then fire sell the rest. For example Sony A1 can now be had at half the launch price, when CES 2018 is right around the corner.

For a small player such as B&O, even with their prices, finding the sweet spot of price/volume must have proven impossible – added with the losses that surely incurred from their software development mishaps which were perceived – rightly so – as an unforgivable lack of quality. In a way, B&O is also trapped in the luxury category, where prices should never come down to dismay the customers who have paid a hefty premium.

My humble opinion is that B&O should have sticked with their barebones TV/Audio/ML&NL platform that they achieved with BV11 and Avant (pre-NG), and let people choose the "smart box" of their choice: AppleTV, Nvidia Shield, etc.

In the past, I have paid for the design, materials and quality of BeoVisions (the look & feel) – never for their "smart" platform. I just about never used the smartTV part of BV11, yet I didn't find the TV lacking in any way. With PUC & AppleTV, I had a perfect combination – a combination where I could at any point update the smart part or even change smart platforms without changing the TV.

I guess B&O are too far gone down the rocky TV path to make a 180 and do what for example Loewe does – to return to where they were pre-Android / LG. From my point of view as a customer, they were in a good place when either BV11 or Avant (pre-NG) were their flagship. KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

And the reason that the luxury market exists is because people who are in it want something unique that not everyone else does.

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
260 Posts
Bronze Member

No, I bought a few at a good price when they were being discontinued as it's a great TV, but all gone now...

srs65
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
srs65 replied on Fri, May 4 2018 4:18 PM

I have the same problems with my Beovision 14-40. I also have problems with software not updating on the Beosound Moment. The company is not what it was 10 years ago.

digi
Top 500 Contributor
Bremen
74 Posts
Bronze Member
digi replied on Mon, May 7 2018 2:48 PM

Does anyone know if/when there will be a software update for BV14?

BV 14-55 mit BL 18, BL 8000, BL 2, BeoRemote One-BT, ATV 3; BS 9000 & BS Core & BS 4500 mit BL 12-3, BL 12-2, BeoLink 1000; BeoLine mit BC 2, BC 6000; BS 8; BeoVox CX100; BeoTime (analog), BeoTime (digital); Earphone A8; Beoplay H3 + P2

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,304 Posts
Bronze Member
I’m watching a YouTube film here which was released 6 days ago, stating that Android tv will be extinct within the year. What will 14 users do then?

Beovision Eclipse, BeoLab 17,Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
255 Posts
Bronze Member

Chris Townsend:
I’m watching a YouTube film here which was released 6 days ago, stating that Android tv will be extinct within the year. What will 14 users do then?

The irony of the 14 is that the 11 was as good as it gets.

The number of product failures, disappointments, and abandonments in the last few years is outrageous. Companies go to great lengths to justify or hide from their errors, and angry people find ways to vent their frustration at any cost. In between, I believe in economic justice. History says those some of those 14 people will find out how good B&Os legal department is. 

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
365 Posts
Silver Member
Chris Townsend:

I’m watching a YouTube film here which was released 6 days ago, stating that Android tv will be extinct within the year.

I doubt that. According to flatpanels, Sony, TCL and Philips are continuing to use the platform.
StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
969 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris Townsend:

I’m watching a YouTube film here which was released 6 days ago, stating that Android tv will be extinct within the year. What will 14 users do then? Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

B&o Tvs like B&o solus independent dealers are nearly a thing of the past...

So I hear..
Brigantinus
Top 500 Contributor
138 Posts
Bronze Member

Aussie Michael:
And the reason that the luxury market exists is because people who are in it want something unique that not everyone else does.

But luxury means you don't have to think about standard functions, the standard is given, you just have to think about the "luxury parts" you pay for. Let's compare it with luxury cars. It;s nice to choose the cow which spends the leather and the tree which spends the wood if you don't have to think about the technical considerations. Who would buy a Bentley with their perfect materials inside and outside when the maximum speed was 190 km/h? Why should i buy a VW Golf, if i had that kind of Bentley just because i wanna drive 200+ km/h.

Why should i buy a luxury tv, when the horsepower of the tv is not standard anymore the day it arrives at the market.

Why do i have to buy and use a 3rd Party device, because "standard apps" don't work. 

The perfect aluminium frame, the motorized stands and the wooden frets and the wonderful sound are wonderful luxurious and expensive parts of a tv, but not the main part if you buy a tv. The main part today is screen quality, size and a just standard smart platform.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,539 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, May 9 2018 2:13 AM

poodleboy:

Chris Townsend:

The irony of the 14 is that the 11 was as good as it gets.

The number of product failures, disappointments, and abandonments in the last few years is outrageous. Companies go to great lengths to justify or hide from their errors, and angry people find ways to vent their frustration at any cost. In between, I believe in economic justice. History says those some of those 14 people will find out how good B&Os legal department is. 

I agree, it's shameful how B&O's products have been pushed out not ready for prime time and then patched, poorly (updates breaking things, often more than they seem to fix) and then drop them when they can't get them right, leaving the poor customer out to dry, feeling like a fool. They seem to be caught between having to rush things out for investor/investment/stock price reasons so they appear to be in good shape, and not having the time to adequately plan their product porfolio in an integrated manner, and not adequately get their hardware and software working properly. It's the "get it out in a hurry and we'll fix it later" approach and it's killing the brand's reputation. The average lifetime of a new B&O product now seems to be 2-3 years, when before it was measured in decades. My BS9000 for example was marketed for over 20 years, and although it had three versions over the years, it lasted.

The only thing that seems to halfway make this possible is the reduction in development and manufacturing costs associated with outsourcing those functions to another company in China, which has its own issues obviously.

As a long, long time fan of B&O this saddens me greatly, and a pox on the houses of all the B&O management who let this happen, and even encouraged it.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
93 Posts
Bronze Member

Loewe TVs have their own OS software, I don't think B&O is a smaller company than Loewe ? At least the TV doesn't become obsolete if you haven't made the last update or if there are no more updates from third parties .. Some people will argue that BeoMaster 5 had a proper B&O OS and that it is no longer updated .. which is true: is it so hard to hire a software developer in Denmark?!

mrCTE
Not Ranked
51 Posts
Bronze Member
mrCTE replied on Wed, May 9 2018 11:09 AM

Christophe :

Loewe TVs have their own OS software, I don't think B&O is a smaller company than Loewe ? At least the TV doesn't become obsolete if you haven't made the last update or if there are no more updates from third parties .. Some people will argue that BeoMaster 5 had a proper B&O OS and that it is no longer updated .. which is true: is it so hard to hire a software developer in Denmark?!

And Loewe have the Feature stick/drive. 

https://vimeo.com/183446596 for a flavour of their GUI. It's an example in how to make a TV UI clean, simple and beautiful. 

Page 2 of 6 (77 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL