rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
394 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris Hassell posted on Tue, Dec 5 2017 12:29 PM

I'll lay out the scenario I'm having and see if any has any suggestions or the same experience....

- If I turn-on my BV Eclipse and let it connect to my 4 BL18s and BL19 over WISA things work fine. The speakers connect fine.

- I can then start music from any device (BV, Essence, BS1) and get other products to join in on multi-room fine (well, mostly fine!)

HOWEVER....

- If the Essence or BS1 are streaming music (TuneIn, Deezer, anything) and I turn on the BV Eclipse. The audio on these devices starts stuttering and the BV has a real struggle connecting to the speakers over WISA - they go green, then go red, green again etc. etc. It seems to sort itself out after about 2 minutes of this horrible effect happening.

- I have also experienced this happen if I am on a FaceTime video call at the same time as turning on the BV Eclipse.

So essentially it seems like the process of the BV connecting over WISA to the speakers seems to really mess up any persistent traffic going over Wifi.

Any ideas?

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

All Replies

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,483 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Dec 5 2017 12:38 PM

Wifi surely seem to be a problem there.  Can you somehow measure the WiFi bandwith utilization during these scenarios?

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
394 Posts
Bronze Member

But WISA isn't supposed to interfere with Wifi at all is it?! Isn't it a different frequency? 

The Wifi works fine until the BV tries to connect to to the WISA speakers.

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,483 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Dec 5 2017 12:59 PM
Chris Hassell:

But WISA isn't supposed to interfere with Wifi at all is it?! Isn't it a different frequency?

The Wifi works fine until the BV tries to connect to to the WISA speakers.

You mentioned the BS1 was stuttering? Maybe that is the reason for the speakers going on and off. Thought maybe the Eclipse got confused by not getting a signal from BS1.

In that case WiFi could be the problem.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
457 Posts
Bronze Member
It can for example the WiFi from my sky minibox from my kitchen interferes with my 18s in the living room so when the WiFi in the minibox is deactivated everything seems fine
Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
394 Posts
Bronze Member

I have heard that Sky Q can cause problems with WISA in the UK?

To clarify - the music ONLY stutters when the WISA speakers are connecting. If the TV is already on (and the speakers are connected), and THEN music is started on the BS1, the TV can join it without problem. The problems occur when the speakers are connectING (not connectED).

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,431 Posts
Gold Member
WISA uses the 5GHz band as some Wifi access point do. If you can avoid 5GHz then you’ll have no issue, if you cannot, then you may have to play with different WiFi channels, device placement or network join order.

Personally I got rid of any other 5GHz in my Wisa perimeter

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Seems the BV startup consumes more bandwidth ?

Is it easy to have the BV active but then use settings to disable its WiFi and then re-enable to see if that is as disruptive ?

This may produce interesting results but may not help solve the issue.

BeoNut since '75

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
329 Posts
Bronze Member

W-A G: Perhaps auto-channel-selection is better on the router than on the BV?  To test the theory, you would run your "good" scenario (BV & WiSA start first), and then after connecting to your router, use either your computer's diagnostics or maybe the router's web interface to see what channel it has *actually* selected for least interference.  Then change the router's settings to *force* that channel instead of using "auto select".  Having done that, try the "bad" order powering up and see if you win...

P.S. @elephant, it probably doesn't use *more* bandwidth starting up, but it might broadcast instead of only listening on multiple channels, which will cause a hiccup.  Or maybe if it does the protocol wrong and uses a channel without courtesy, which would force the router to migrate many or all of its clients to a new alternate channel, causing multiple hiccups -- which would sooner or later resolve.  (Channel switches are probably most noticeable when the streaming bandwidth is close to the available channel bandwidth, and small buffers are in use or low latency is required.  But measuring or testing that is not so easy.)  </WAG>

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
394 Posts
Bronze Member
elephant:

Seems the BV startup consumes more bandwidth ?

Is it easy to have the BV active but then use settings to disable its WiFi and then re-enable to see if that is as disruptive ?

This may produce interesting results but may not help solve the issue. BeoNut since '75

The BV isn’t on WiFi - it’s wired into the router.

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
394 Posts
Bronze Member
trackbeo:

W-A G: Perhaps auto-channel-selection is better on the router than on the BV? To test the theory, you would run your "good" scenario (BV & WiSA start first), and then after connecting to your router, use either your computer's diagnostics or maybe the router's web interface to see what channel it has *actually* selected for least interference. Then change the router's settings to *force* that channel instead of using "auto select". Having done that, try the "bad" order powering up and see if you win...

P.S. @elephant, it probably doesn't use *more* bandwidth starting up, but it might broadcast instead of only listening on multiple channels, which will cause a hiccup. Or maybe if it does the protocol wrong and uses a channel without courtesy, which would force the router to migrate many or all of its clients to a new alternate channel, causing multiple hiccups -- which would sooner or later resolve. (Channel switches are probably most noticeable when the streaming bandwidth is close to the available channel bandwidth, and small buffers are in use or low latency is required. But measuring or testing that is not so easy.)

Thank you - I’ll have a play when I get a chance.

handersen
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Chris

This is (unfortunately) not a solution - this is just a confirmation, as I see the same problem with my BV Eclipse, 4 BL 17 and the Core (connected via WiFI).

Just using the BV with TV as source, no problem. Starting the BV with Core as Multiroom source the speakers jumps from green to red and back. It must be the Eclipse, which is the root cause here. Previsouly I had an Avant (both 2015 and NG version) instead of the Eclipse - and I did not see this problem (but a lot of other problems). Also, I tried to use cable insteaf of WISA, and the problem did not show up.

We can only wait (some 6 months or more) in order to get this fixed from B&O! It must be their WISA software which is causing this.

FYI only. I have tried with with 4 different routers/wifi units - same problem shows up on all.

/Henrik

Desrux
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Desrux replied on Sun, Jul 22 2018 3:10 PM

Hi Chris,

This is an old post but did you resolve your issue?

It was mentioned that the Eclipse was connected via ethernet cabel.

How was the Essence and BS1 connected? Wifi or cabel? If Wifi using N or AC, 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? 

How does did your network setup look like? Any switches, access points besides router?

Best regards K

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL