Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Bang & Olufsen app iPad support now in beta

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 114 Replies | 4 Followers

MrAndersen
Top 500 Contributor
221 Posts
Bronze Member
MrAndersen posted on Fri, Oct 6 2017 3:02 PM

Hi all

I'm happy to announce that iPad support is now available on TestFlight for our beta users. We have been working on this for the last two months and are finally close to completion. The first version will not give you a new UI experience but will make everything work in landscape and portrait. Please try it out and let us know what you think. If you are not yet a beta user and want to become one, please send me a private message through this forum and i will add you. 

Known issues

Player layout can break if orientation changes while on another page

Setup pages for Google Cast and BeoSound Shape are still not working well in landscape

Best regards

Thomas Andersen, Bang & Olufsen

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,985 Posts
Bronze Member

mbolo01:

Much much better than Sesam:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/28871/229507.aspx#229507

Beroli and MM will like this

As you can see in the thread the Glider app is not new to me.

However, I could not get that working at that time....

....and I still can’t (just tried again).

It sees my servers, but does not show the content.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Beroli
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
315 Posts
Bronze Member
Beroli replied on Thu, Dec 14 2017 11:26 PM
I‘ve purchased the glider-App. Unfortunately a waste of Money for me. Very often the App won‘t remember the choosen and synced Server. The Serverlist is vanishing. Sometimes if I tried to stream to the BS-Moment it works well and after some while the stream stops out of the blue. Although I like the very neat surface including the index sideline, the App is not stable enough.

Cheers Beroli
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,015 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 12:00 AM

yes, i understood the Deezer Album favourites sorting issue.

i hadn't quiet appreciated that DLNA search would not come to the app. I get the issue, i.e. that functionality cant be done on the phone, and is dependant on the DLNA server. 

Saying that though, i still dont understand why could the old Beo Music app do it/ (search)

Beroli
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
315 Posts
Bronze Member
Beroli replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 1:53 AM

Hi Sandyb,

the old App was able to use the database, which was created during the processing with the BS-Moment. On the BeoMusicApp, you have only the possibility to search DLNA-content, within the BS-Moment tab - not within the BS-Essence-tab.

As far as I understood Thomas, the new App does not have the ability to read and search the compiled DLNA-database-file provided from the BS-Moment. Since the BS-Moment is now EOL and the new Devices aren't creating such databases, it seems there is no need anymore to put more effort or manpower on the task to write such API. In the first BS-Moment days, the 1-capital-search was the most criticized feature. Therefore B&O needed to implement the feature into the BeoMusic-App. Nowadays, the search function on the BS-Moment Jukebox is working perfect/seamless over DLNA and Deezer-content.  Maybe another reason to scratch this feature (my assumption regarding the POV with B&O).

The new App is just reading the provided pages of the several DLNA-Servers. Some DLNA-server offer a bigger variety of these pages, when it comes to different categories (Playlists, Album, Album by artist, Date, recently added...) - some of them don‘t. Some DLNA-Server (e.g. minimServer) create their own searchable database - some (pure Synology-NAS) don't. A searchable database is not in the common DLNA-protocol. Because of this and because the different TAG-quality of the DLNA-content, it is difficult to program a all-over-DLNA-content-search API fitting for every available DLNA-Server. In Addition, just imagine a customer with files like track01.mp3 -no Tags implemented - there is no way to process these files without processing the fingerprint in the file itself. On the BS-Moment it takes hours to create a searchable database because of this task. It summary, it would be to much within a App, which is just focused on “read-only“-the-pages from the choosen DLNA-Server.

A implementation of a DLNA-search is possible only with Servers, which are providing their own database including a search-option - but then some customers would complain, maybe because their own Server does not provide such database. 

In the App 8player it is possible to do a all-over-search in your DLNA-content. It is very fast - but only if connected to Servers, which are providing said database. Searching a track, album or Artist on MinimServer works perfect, while the Twonky-Server is crashing everytime, if I try the search-funktion within the App.

Maybe these are the reasons, why B&O decided to push back on the search-option. Maybe I have it all wrong. ;-)

Cheers Beroli

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,015 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 3:15 AM

Thanks for the background, thats informative and makes sense.

There is still obviously an element of choice, by B&O, in not providing that same ability(in the new app) to read / search the DLNA database file - i understand that now to an extent.

And while others may have realised this, it is clear then that the new app will not provide a full-ish solution for music - with DLNA support missing, and playlist management. Both need to be done externally to the app. 

So while the app has a more modern look, and i appreciate the communication from the team here, what have we achieved beyond folding everything (?) into one app?, and losing some functionality along the way.

We still dont have source control at a basic level - the old BeoRemote app was useful in that respect. 

I wonder if that functionality from the BeoRemote app will be introduced into the new app.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
1,900 Posts
Gold Member
Beroli:

the App is not stable enough.

I was not promoting the app itself but the features:

Build a local database in a reasonable amount of time

Leverage DLNA tags including genre, date

Provides rulers with letters or numbers to jump into collection

Clean interface

I have tried the free version and so far I had one major issue: it does not harvest more than 1,8k tracks when Syncing with my Twonky server while it harvests the full 38k tracks of the same collection when leveraging the QNAP native server

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
1,900 Posts
Gold Member
Millemissen:

As you can see in the thread the Glider app is not new to me

I see, I missed it. Is the developer responsive?

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

jimcaj
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
126 Posts
Bronze Member
jimcaj replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 7:39 AM

mbolo01:

Is the developer responsive?

https://community.glideraudio.com

Roy
Not Ranked
Netherlands
11 Posts
Bronze Member
Roy replied on Tue, Dec 26 2017 9:09 AM
Since a couple of days I have a beoplay A6 and a Deezer account. Next to this I use de Bang & Olufsen (iPhone and iPad) app to play/ stream Deezer music on the A6 (but also on the Eclipse), however shuffling the music is not possible. When I use the shuffle button nothing happens. Hopefully someone can help me, with solving this issue.

Beovision Elclipse 55”, Beolab 8000, Beoplay A6 and M5

glider
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member
glider replied on Wed, Dec 27 2017 1:13 AM

I'm the author of Glider, and I'm hoping I can add a bit of context to the conversation here. 

The DLNA spec allows for media servers to optionally implement a search feature with varying levels of support for different tags (artists, albums, etc.) Many popular media servers do not implement this feature at all, including Synology and Plex. Even when implemented, searching is usually slow since the queries are sent to the server in real-time, and results will be limited to a particular media server.

Glider gets around these limitations by performing a complex sync operation across all of your connected media servers (even if they don't support search) to create a single library that's fully searchable directly in the app. We also allow you to sync non-DLNA sources including your local iTunes library. This sync process is well outside of the DLNA spec, and sometimes we run into issues with certain media servers that don't behave the way we expect. 

If you're having any issues at all with the app, please get in touch with us at support@glideraudio.com so we can work with you to get them fixed.

Founder of Glider Audio

Page 8 of 8 (115 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL