rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Little Ann, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 5,295
Founder
Keith Saunders Posted: Wed, Oct 4 2017 10:34 AM

This page will be updated when the status of any of the documented known issues below changes.

Background

Over the last few months (April to September 2017) I have made a large number of changes to the Beoworld web site and forum to fix software bugs particularly in the forum and created new functionality such as the Beoworld Members Portal.

The Beoworld web Site and Forums have been moved to a new and more powerful server running Windows Server 2012 and IIS 8.5. The forums databases have been rebuilt and indexed which has increased the speed by at least 50%. The servers now have a combined disk space of 20TB meaning 20,000 GB

Security remains a major focus and the Beoworld servers are protected by two enterprise firewalls along with a separate DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack protection. Our security protection is formally rated as "A" see below

Known Current Issues

• Members using Safari (any version) typically on a Mac cannot use the "more" pull down or insert images when writing a new post unless they change the "User Agent" via the "Develop Menu" within Safari. If the member changes the "User Agent" to any other agent everything works correctly. Whilst I have not done an in depth investigation into this problem it appears to be that Safari does not correctly implement the international standards, hence why all other browsers do not have this problem.
  • When the Microsoft Bing bot search engine crawls the Forum it causes several "Unhandled Exceptions" on the forum and the forum restarts. Users do not see these errors and the only impact is that the forum restarts which typically takes 15 seconds. It happens because Bing uses illegal http commands on the forum. Typically happens 2-3 times per 24 hours. Requests to Bing to stop crawling using these commands are ignored. Therefore I may in the future block all Bing access requests.
  • Conversation messages do not put the correct entry in the subject field most of the time.
  • The Beoworld web site does not have a "site.xml" mapping used by Google which allows it's bot to index pages more effectively.
  • The background search task intermittently fails trying to write a NULL character into the database. There should not be any NULL characters in a search. Does not affect users, its just logged as an error.
  • Spammers are trying to access port 3389 (RDP) with thousands of requests per minute. IP addresses being added to firewall as they happen.

If you notice something which is not working correctly, then please do let me know..

Regards Keith....

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,295
Founder

Where a member posts an image which is on another site, then that part is no longer secure.

Had the member uploaded the image to Beoworld then that thread would remain secure.

I could force members to upload images to Beoworld only, but I decided not to do that as there were so many images hosted outside of Beoworld.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,295
Founder

Christian,

Thank you for your feedback about Beoworld.

I agree that we should not need an App duplicating our web site and forum and clearly our forum in particular is not mobile friendly, but there are some practical reasons for this situation rather than technical issues.

Both our old forum (Archived Forum) and the current forum are based on products from Telligent Inc. The current forum was last updated in 2012 to the then current version which we are still running on. I have looked into the costs of upgrading the forum, but it is beyond our willingness or ability to fund at present.

When funds allow, we will upgrade all our systems, but with two of our main sponsors (LifeStyle VA & Setop Brackets) stopping their financial support to us last year we have been limited to running the existing systems only.

Beoworld Ltd is a not for profit organisation and is totally independent from Bang & Olufsen and we do not sell or buy any B&O products and only provide independent assistance via our Forum which is free to join. For a small yearly fee members also have access to a very large library of B&O service and other manuals which in most cases cannot be found anywhere else.

I would like to thank you for being a Silver member which contributes to the running cost of the site.

Regards Keith....

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 434
Bronze Member

{Dated post, but for future searchers:] I found that my own Internet speed affected this -- the BeoWorld host simply timed me out!  When I used a high-speed connection at a friend's house, the larger manuals downloaded OK.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,143
Gold Member
I don’t know if anyone is aware that the notification emails of a subscribe thread arrive generally up to an hour sometimes 12 hours after the post has submitted

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL