rated by 0 users
This post has 40 Replies | 5 Followers

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,634
Gold Member
Guy Posted: Tue, Sep 25 2012 7:05 PM

I was about to buy a couple of Alu Dims so that I could make use of the LIGHT button on my Beo4s, but had a last minute change of heart and went for this system:

http://cms.jbmedia.de/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1&lang=en

It arrived today: a very small IR to RF transmitter, easily programmed when connected to PC.  I also bought 3 socket 'actuators' and a couple of E27 light bulb socket 'actuators' and it is all set up and running beautifully.  I can even control it over my 2-way MCL system from other rooms in the house.

Anyway I am very pleased with my 'poor man's masterlink gateway!'

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 7:19 PM

Well done, thanks for sharing  - money wise how it does compare to LC2's ?

Just cannot justify £150+ per dimmer/ switch

regards

bob

Guy:

I was about to buy a couple of Alu Dims so that I could make use of the LIGHT button on my Beo4s, but had a last minute change of heart and went for this system:

http://cms.jbmedia.de/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1&lang=en

It arrived today: a very small IR to RF transmitter, easily programmed when connected to PC.  I also bought 3 socket 'actuators' and a couple of E27 light bulb socket 'actuators' and it is all set up and running beautifully.  I can even control it over my 2-way MCL system from other rooms in the house.

Anyway I am very pleased with my 'poor man's masterlink gateway!'

Don't worry - be Happy

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,634
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 7:39 PM

I spent EUR250 and can now control 5 light sources throughout the house.  The Alu Dims were about DKK1200 per swtich. Apologies for mixed currencies!

The best thing is that I can now add additonal lights for as little as EUR10 each! (as part of sets of 3 RF sockets).  Don't be put off by continental plugs, just get adaptors (as I intend to use if I ever rtn to UK).

LC2s seem bit long in the tooth and are expensive second hand methinks!

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member
Hi guy. I use the lightwave rf dimmes and plugs by siemens. Excellent bit of kit just simply replace your existing plugs or dimmers. And all can be controlled through rf. I used to have the lutron rania dimmers which for the b and o ones are £180 each these have now become useless in my home.however the lightwave rf cannot be controlled by b and o remote which at first I thought would annoy me as I only wanted one remote but lightwave rf do a master controll switch which is less than a centimetre thick and looks like a light switch but is battery powered so can be put anywhere. And can also be wall mounted like a regular switch. I have one on either side of each bed on the wall and one next to every normal switch in each room so I can now controll as many or as little plugs or/and switches as I like for example In my bedroom I can turn on my plugs/lamps from either next to the bed or on the wall. In my upstairs hall I can turn on the lights in every room or the lamps in everyroom. Next to my front door I can turn everything on or everything off. The choices are endless and as they use rf the one near the front door does the upstairs ones no problem at all. They also sell a rf extender to boost the signal. I haven't needed one of those. I also have all my outdoor lights controlled of one switch in my lounge so I can urn them all n with
2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member
Hi guy. I use the lightwave rf dimmers and plugs by Siemens. You simply replace your existing plugs and dimmers which makes them all remote controll using rf. rf being radio waves means the transmission area is much greater so being able to turn off upstairs lights downstairs and the other way round. These cannot be controlled using a beo remote so at first I thought I would see that as a draw back. But after purchasing a couple to see what they are like I quickly went out and bought enough for the entire house. They also do a master controll switch which just seals it for me. The master control, switch just look like a normal light switch but with 5 buttons. It the same size as a normal light switch but less than a centimetre thick and battery powered so can be attached anywhere. I have one on either side of each bed and one next to each lights switch. Meaning that's all I use to control them. They are the remote. You add as many or as little switches or plugs to each controll switch ass you like F
2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member
They can also be controlled via and android or IPhone so you ca turn on your lights when driving home or even an electric fire in the winter. Honestly I could not fault them. I went onine and read mixed reviews as with anything. You can also by a wireless pir so if you could have it so that when you walk through the front door it turn on the hallway light. You can add as many or as little light to it as you like. It just goes on and on what can be done with these things. You can even turn your light on from abroad. They also have a relay which ca be used to control blinds, garage doors etc. I am a b and o collector through and through but these knock the socks of anything they have to offer. I would recommend these to anyone. As I was replacing my plugs for silver ones anyway it made sense to get these the double plugs are around 35 pound the double dimmers are around the same. And the mater controll switches are £30. I've done each room 3 master switches 2 double plugs 1 double dimmer for £195 about the price of a single lutron rania. The dimmers are also digital so are silent. I bought all of mine from b and q and they were on 3 for 2.
2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member
Www.lightwaverf.co.uk. They even do remote controll dim able lightbulbs for a cheap quick solution
kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
Posts 206
Bronze Member
kokomo replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 10:13 PM

2012martin:
Www.lightwaverf.co.uk. They even do remote controll dim able lightbulbs for a cheap quick solution

Genuine apologies if I've missed something but what has the above got to do with control via B&O? 

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:55 AM

No need Kokomo Wink,

2012Martin' contribution haven't got nothing to do with B&O or Beo 4 control as far I'm concerned,

in my view he just share experience with alternative to costly LC2 / LC1 or Lutron solutions for B&O's with out any reference to the thread 

regards

bob

I did read the whole thing (there's always 1st time for everything) this time Whistle

Don't worry - be Happy

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member

Hi bob thanks for taking the time to read it properly unlike Kokomo. After several lost messages that's what ended up getting sent so maybe didn't make 100% sense but I always try and be as clear as possible.

In my experience these are far more superior than lc2, boss dims, unidim, lutron rania etc the reason being....

The dimmers are available in 1,2,3 and 4 gang priced at £25/40/60/105. Lutron only do a single b and o dimmer. They also do a double but it isn't a b and o one so it has green LEDs instead of white and ca only be controlled by beo5/6 but in my experience I could not even controll this from my coach which is only 3 metres away (that's approx 10ft Kokomo) I had to literally stand directly in front of it (no more than 1 metre)

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member

As for the plugs these are available in single and doubles priced at £20/29. All fully remote controlled. These have no dimming option just on or off. Iam not aware of any plugs which are remote controlled via beo4/5/6. Thes are replacement sockets not plugin plugs.

However they also do plug in plugs both dim able (for lighting) and non dimmable (for tv, electric fire, kettle etc). 

They can also be contolled via I phone or android device. With the added device £70. Which mean they can be controlled from anywhere in the world. Again I am not aware of anything b and o do which allows this feature.

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member

I controll all of these by numerous Wireless mood master controll switches placed around the home.

In the lounge I have one on the coffee table which is not fixed down so can be placed next to me wherever I am sat. And I have one next to main light switch. I also have one next to my patio doors which controll my lights in my conservatory and my garden lights. There never used to be a switch there.

Next to my front door Inside I have one which can turn on everything in my house or turn off everything in my house. It can also just turn on hallway light or just the lounge light. It can even turn on lounge lamps and the fire.

In the bedrooms I have one next to the main switch in each room for controlling all my lamps main lights etc. amd one on either side of the bed.

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member

These mood switches can store moods or scenes. You Have 6 buttons All on, All off, and 4 moods/scenes. You set a mood by simply holding down that button and it will store it however the lights are set at that exact time so I have

mood one just lamps.mood 2 lamps and wardrobe down lighters mood three just main light. Mood 4 just the ensuite on dim for using the toilet at night.

In the lounge I have. Mood 1 just lamps. Mood 2 lamps and fire. Mood 3 lamps and air purifier. Mood 4 just the stairs hall light for when going to bed. 

These mood switches will only turn on or off whichever plugs or switches are synced with them so pressing all off in the bedroom does not effect the lounge etc. but the one in the next to the front door is synced with everything so will turn off everything.

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member

Double post

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member

So back to the original post and Kokomo question. At present these cannot be controlled via beo4/5/6. Which like I said in my previous post I wasn't to keen on. But once installed ( which takes around five minutes per plug/switch) I am most impressed ok they cannot be controlled via band o remote. But I don't see that as a problem. In fact I like that these are separate. They are much more flexible work of rf not ir s the range is much more greater. They look very smart even the mood switch. 

I have used boss dim, unidim, lc2 , lc1 and  lutron rania. And these are better than them all. I still have my unidim linked to my lamps in the lounge because I like the soft start up. This is then plugged into a rf plug so can be turned on and off with the mood switch and can still be dimmed with beo4/5/6.

The lighting controll system that guy originally mentioned works with home easy which was made by lightwave rf. so there's always the possibility that eventually they wil make it compatable to work with lightwave rf. lightwave rf has replaced the home easy range.

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member

They also do a relay for garage door, blinds, motors and shutters. So with press of a button you can turn off every light and open blinds. Or open garage door and turn on every light. The oppurtunitys are endless.

Ok they may be other home automation systems that can do this and more but none that I am aware of that don't require a full rewire and lots of expense. As I am renting at the moment that was not an option. I must stress that I love b and o and hopefully one day it will be controllable via beo4/56 and most importantly my beotime Big Smile

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,634
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 7:47 AM

Hello again,

I checked with JB Media (and drew their attention to this forum!), and got this response about lightwave:

'The Lightwave system, referred to by another forum member, is technically identical to the actuators we offer. The Light-Manager can control them as well. Lightwave is not made by Siemens by the way, it comes from the same factories as our actuators.'

So it can be controlled by your Beo4 just like the system I puchased.  Hope this is helpful!

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member

Hi guy thanks for the reply. This is something which was mentioned in an earlier thread of mine and somebody else had contacted both lightwave rf and jb media and had been told it wasn't possible. I am still waiting for a response of jb media I emailed them this morning but I am in Thailand so the times are a little messed up. Hopefully I shall have a response soon enough. How did you contact them? 

I have read up on the actuators you are using and yes they are near identical. The only difference being (which I can see correct me if I'm wrong) lightwave rf are direct replacement of switches and sockets. The ones you are using have to mounted behind a normal switch. Is that correct? Either way they are both excellent bits of kit. 

I am aware that these are not made by Siemens they are just sold by siemens along with around three other company's its just the Siemens ones were the best value being 3 for 2 in b and q at the time when I bought them (about 2 months ago). Also the easiest and fastest as I just wanted it done there and then. But I see lightwave rf website now has a sale on. That being the prices I quoted earlier. 

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member
2012martin replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:10 AM

Hi again guy. Are the light,anger pro programmable via mac? How long did it take to programme? How many scenes can you programme per room? I have read about the before just stopped when I was told they were not compatable? Did you get the one with built in thermometer? I am going to purchase be as I like the idea it can be controlled via beo5. When you say you control it from other rooms using two way mcl could you explain what you mean. Thanks again

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,634
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:33 AM

Hi again,

I contacted them on info@jbmedia.de

I am not sure about Mac control, that's probably a question direct for them.

Very quick to programme:  I simply registered all the sockets (so they learnt the correct rf code) - this takes about a minute for each one.  I then set up 4 very simple scenes.

1. Main Room:  LIGHT then RED toggles all three lights on and off

2. Dining Area:  LIGHT then BLUE toggles two lights on and off.

3. LIGHT then UP swtiches all lights on.

4. LIGHT then DOWN switches all lights off (with a 15 seconds delay on the last light which is closest to the bedroom, thereby allowingh me to get to bed safely!)

All the above probably took less than an hour.  I havent done anything more complicated (like timer linking to dawn/dusk) at this stage because I am away for three months from tomorrow and didn't want to leave anything too complicated for my wife!)

JB Media do indeed sell 'actuators that fit behind the sockets but I didn't buy any of these.  I simply went for their set of three remote plug/socket adaptors, and a couple of E27 'bulb sockets with switch funtion'.  None of these are dimming capable because I did not need dimmers, but they do sell actuators that will allow dimming.

With regard to MCL:  The B&O link system that proceeded masterlink was called Master Control Link or MCL.  At that time B&O also made a couple of two-way remotes, where the B&O system communicated back to the remote to confirm functions.  Therefore the MCL IR sensors are also IR transmitters.  When I therefore enter a LIGHT command on the Beo4 in the dining area, this is picked up by the MCL sensor which conveys the message by wire to the BeoCentre 9500 in the lounge.  The BC9500 is also 2-way IR capable, and it then transmits the LIGHT message by IR to the Light Manager in the lounge.  The light manager then communicates by RF to the relevant light actuators wherever they are placed, lounge or dining area.

I hope all this makes sense!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,634
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:35 AM

and I did not get the one with the built in thermometer because I couldn't imagine what I would use it for in a lights-only system!  I can always get the temperature sensor fitted at a later date.

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member
2012martin replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:42 AM

Ok guy. So would I be right in thinking that this would not be controllable using masterlink? As for the thermometer I think that's for closing blinds if it gets to hot etc. and it says only available when buying light manager or so I wasn't aware you could buy at a later date thanks again.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,634
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 11:00 AM

Masterlink would not transmit the msg between rooms, so no.  (But in this respect it is no different to any other system, including B&Os LC1 and 2)

I suppose if a single Light Manager could not receive the IR message from anywhere in your house, then you could buy one for each room where you want IR control.  I think that a single actuator can be controlled by more than one Light Manager.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,634
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 11:00 AM

Double post (my first!) hence deleted ..

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member
2012martin replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 11:15 AM

Ok I understand. I will start with one for the lounge and take it from there. Can you only use the colours and arrows or can you use the numbers too? Thanks again

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,634
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:09 PM

Numbers too, and arrows, and the scroll button if you have the latest Beo4.  Sorry for slow response, I need to pack for my trip away!

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member
2012martin replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:17 PM

Ok thank you. I am still waiting for my reply off them to confirm it will work. How long did it take for them to reply to you? Cheers

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,634
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:39 PM

I emailed them last night and they replied this morning at 1000am

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member

I emailed them 14 hours ago and still no reply. Is there any chance you could forward the email to my email please. Cheers

Have you tried using Siri to controll them yet?

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member

Thanks for the emails. I look forward to receiving my light manager pro and reporting back how I find it. Cheers

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 184
Bronze Member

I like how this topic/thread evolved  Smile

nice info and link from Guy regarding jbmedia … 2012martin promotes another system… and 2012martin ended up ordering the thing from (jbmedia) that makes the system he himself promoted B&O compatible. And all this within 20 hours.  Cool

Good informative writing from both of you, since I’m interested in a similar solution.

Looking forward to read your report of how you find the light manager pro

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 184
Bronze Member

Anyone who has experience in controlling the 433Mhz switches with a Lintornic box and a IR-RF converter?? It has been mentioned on the Lintronic forum.

one solution would also be controlling the jbmedia "light manager mini" via a Lintronic box, the latter converting beo IR to "standard" IR

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member

Thanks beolignage I had asked a while ago in another thread if there was anyway possible of controlling the siemens with beo4/5/6 but was told that lightwave rf would not give light manager the protocol. So I had looked no further.

However this must of changed now. The light manager pro for b&0 is 180 euro and the mini non b&o is 90 euro. So for me it would not make sense to use a lintronics as that would cost considerably more. However if you already have a lintronic box it would make perfect sense and I can't see any reason why not.

I am glad that you found it Interesting and appologies about the amount of posts it took as I have found myself writing big long posts then they don't send so I now keep them short in case I have to rewrite them

Thanks again and be sure to Lexus know how you get on 

Stoobietoo
Top 200 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
Posts 350
Silver Member
Stoobietoo replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 11:38 PM

I Have been mentioning the LightManager for months on here. I bought one and use it with the JBMedia actuators/receivers and it is compatible with all my HomeEasy stuff which I bought at B&Q here in the UK. I love the way it all works at a cost that is compatible with my pocket.It is compatible with most 433MHz RF receivers and JBMedia list all versions it works with. Most of the compatible items costs less than £15 to £50 rather than B&O specific home automation items (LC1 & LC2, Lutron, Rako etc).

Both my Beo4 and Beo5 can now control most of my lighting and the LightManager can be programmed to simulate that there is some one home while you are away, by a built in timer, It even has the ability to simulate the changing times of dusk and dawn throughout the year by using a function that links to the net and works out your town/country and programs the times of dusk/dawn in)

Take a look at this thread where 2012martin and I discuss RF control and Beo5 and my current and future projects with LightManger Pro B&O.

Stoobie

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,634
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Dec 3 2019 11:00 AM

Just a quick heads up for anyone using JBMedia's Lightmanager Pro in UK.  I have struggled to find UK remote rf sockets that are compatible with lightmanager.  I bought two different 'Homeasy' sets but neither worked.

I have however recently found this seller on eBay who is selling a few sets of 'Trust Smart Home' sockets - these are identical to the ones that JBMedia used to sell for UK use - model number APA3-1500R.  They are a simple on/off switch rather than dimmers, but I have just purchased a couple of sets and they work well with the Lightmanager Pro.  The price is good too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remote-control-mains-socket-set-Give-every-plug-remote-control-Trust-Smart-Ho/274119876094?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Stoobietoo
Top 200 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
Posts 350
Silver Member

Just seen this on the HomeEasy website which may explain the problems you have had.

Smartwares who own HomeEasy are going through a re-branding exercise and are in the process of changing all HomeEasy “HE” codes to Smartwares “SH5” codes. During the past 12 months there have also been upgrades to the HE range, and unfortunately this has meant that some, but not all newer products (version 2) will not work with older versions (Version 1). To complicate things further, some of the rebranded SH5 items will not work with any of the HE products, but all SH5 products will work together. We have attempted to list in the product specifications which products will work together.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,634
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Dec 3 2019 11:45 AM

Stoobietoo:

Just seen this on the HomeEasy website which may explain the problems you have had.

Thanks for that Stoobietoo!

I just checked back through my previous (non-working) purchases, and the first set were Homeasy HE830W:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D8D4AZW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But when they didn't work, I tried these LightwaveRF ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ATY2R80/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...  which also didn't work!  Never mind, I have given both sets away to elderly relatives who don;t have to worry about Lightmanager integration!

matador43
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 534
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Tue, Dec 3 2019 11:56 AM

I have had the same sort of problem:

I bought a BEO IR to RF translator to a fellow guy named Revox Beo.
That box works with Intertechno plugs which are not easy to find here in France and costs around 40€ for 3 plugs.

Close to me a warehouse shop sells a set of 4 plugs for 25€: same shape, same electronics same "all".
Just the RF code or frequencies or whatever it is not the same.

I understand the industrial logic but its quite enraging when you want to upgrade your setup not to mention the very poor aftermarket experience I had with Intertechno when one receiver failed. 

Stoobietoo
Top 200 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
Posts 350
Silver Member

Looking at those links, the HE830W look like they may be the newer range. All mine are HE3***. It also works with the old 1 and 2 gang light switch and replacement wall socket.

LightWaveRF are definitely not compatible. I wrote to them about the LightManager and their range, when they first came out and they were very dismissive. JBMedia were very keen to collaborate, but LightWave not interested, so because of that I returned mine for a full refund.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,634
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Dec 3 2019 12:37 PM

Stoobietoo:

Looking at those links, the HE830W look like they may be the newer range. All mine are HE3***. It also works with the old 1 and 2 gang light switch and replacement wall socket.

Yes I have some older HE3** sockets that work very well.

Page 1 of 2 (41 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL