rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

MJBeo
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
270 Posts
Gold Member
MJBeo posted on Tue, Sep 19 2017 4:54 PM

Hi all, I bought a bunch of MCL cables from ebay, and there is one 6-core cable that was used as a MCL extension cable between two wall plugs. Would I be able to use this as a MK 2 powerlink cable?

Alternatively, would a MCL cable work as a powerlink MK2 cable if I connect a DIN8 plug? The only difference between the two cables that I can see in the MCL handbook is the additional shielding around the left and right signal. I did not want to open one of my powerlink cables to check the inside.

Beosound 5 Encore + BL14.4; Beosystem 5500; BV7-40 MKV + BL7.1 + AppleTV4 + Lintronic -23; various link rooms with MCL2 A or MCL2 A/V + RL60.2 / CX100 / CX50 & Cona / S45.2 / IWS2000; BG4000; Beosystem 1200 + BV1600.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
2,143 Posts
Gold Member

Hi MJBeo,

That looks like it could be caravan/trailer lighting cable connected to an 8 pin DIN plug!  It may function for Powerlink (depending on how it is installed), but there doesn't appear to be adequate shielding around any of the wires for audio use.

I can provide the correctly shielded Powerlink cables if you want to be sure of good sound:-

http://soundsheavenly.com/44-powerlink-8-pin-din-connection

Kind regards, Steve

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

All Replies

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
2,143 Posts
Gold Member

Hi MJBeo,

That looks like it could be caravan/trailer lighting cable connected to an 8 pin DIN plug!  It may function for Powerlink (depending on how it is installed), but there doesn't appear to be adequate shielding around any of the wires for audio use.

I can provide the correctly shielded Powerlink cables if you want to be sure of good sound:-

http://soundsheavenly.com/44-powerlink-8-pin-din-connection

Kind regards, Steve

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

MJBeo
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
270 Posts
Gold Member
MJBeo replied on Tue, Sep 19 2017 6:13 PM

Thanks Steve for the quick reply!

Beosound 5 Encore + BL14.4; Beosystem 5500; BV7-40 MKV + BL7.1 + AppleTV4 + Lintronic -23; various link rooms with MCL2 A or MCL2 A/V + RL60.2 / CX100 / CX50 & Cona / S45.2 / IWS2000; BG4000; Beosystem 1200 + BV1600.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL