rated by 0 users
This post has 49 Replies | 4 Followers

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael Posted: Tue, Sep 12 2017 9:16 PM
Today was the day we've been waiting for. A great device and experience now with 4K.

I've checked and it has IR receiver still! Great!

It looks like the bottom now has vents (possibly for a fan). This might mean more heat exchange so it might be worth noting if you're mounting the device in your Beovision.

I'll buy one as soon as I can.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Shaun.
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
Shaun. replied on Tue, Sep 12 2017 9:44 PM
Iā€™m on.šŸ˜‰

I to was hoping for IR for the Avant M-I šŸ¤—

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
I'll definitely get one, especially if I can also upgrade my current purchases for free.

The rest of it was a damp squib. Wireless charging! WOW

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,002
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Sep 12 2017 10:30 PM

Also, it has Netflix 4K!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Sep 12 2017 10:33 PM
Out of today's announcements I will buy the ATV, Watch Series 3, and maybe the new generation of ear buds.

Australia is now getting the TV App with our favourite two channels integrated !

A bit disappointed that the rumoured new controller remains a rumour.

BeoNut since '75

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Sep 12 2017 11:19 PM

elephant:

Agreed, the ATV remove is a POS, and continues to be with a white rim around the MENU button as an update. What gives, Apple? Will I upgrade? No. I don't have a 4K TV. What I"m waiting for (and I missed the keynote), is Amazon Prime Video on the AppleTV. That was a rumor which also still remains a rumor.

The wife and I will be upgrading our phones, however. Likely the iPhone 8, and wait for the trickle down from the X to happen in the next few years. She currently has a plus and I have the "normal" size, however I will likely move to the Plus this time around.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Sep 12 2017 11:33 PM

Sal:

elephant:

Agreed, the ATV remove is a POS, and continues to be with a white rim around the MENU button as an update. What gives, Apple? Will I upgrade? No. I don't have a 4K TV. What I"m waiting for (and I missed the keynote), is Amazon Prime Video on the AppleTV. That was a rumor which also still remains a rumor.

The wife and I will be upgrading our phones, however. Likely the iPhone 8, and wait for the trickle down from the X to happen in the next few years. She currently has a plus and I have the "normal" size, however I will likely move to the Plus this time around.

You're not expected to replace your current Apple TV if you don't have a 4K set. The regular Apple TV 4 is still on sale (not 64GB) with the same price and the new 4K edition is a little more expensive (30 USD difference).

Amazon Prime is not a rumor, that will launch later this year. Tim Cook stated that at WWDC earlier this year. Has nothing to do with this box, it will be available on both. 

The new remote is bundled with the Apple TV 4 as from today as well. I don't think it is a bad remote. By the way, the redesigned edition is 20 USD cheaper than before(!).

Main difference between ATV4 and ATV4 4K:

• 4K HDR support (1080p, no HDR)
• A10X Fusion chip (A8)
• Gigabit ethernet (10/100)
• Simultaneous dual band AC wifi (AC mimo)
• Bluetooth 5 (Bluetooth 4)
• No service port (USB-C)

Off topic, regarding iPhone I'd probably go for the iPhone X since it has the big and improved OLED HDR screen without bezel and no home button bar or top bar and improved dpi and safety features with Face ID. Since it also gives you the cool photo filter effects for selfies and animoji I really do like it. And it is a fitting tribute to Steve Jobs and the original iPhone design - and it is smaller than the plus-sized iPhones but keeping the bigger display. I really like it! 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Sep 12 2017 11:34 PM

elephant:
Out of today's announcements I will buy the ATV, Watch Series 3, and maybe the new generation of ear buds.

No new earbuds, just a new wireless charging case - that you buy to your AirPods.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Sep 12 2017 11:36 PM
Sal:

I did see it.

The demo of the TV app for sports streaming looked good - if you are a sports fanatic.

They confirmed Amazon Prime.

I think I may stay on my 7+

BeoNut since '75

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Sep 12 2017 11:37 PM

Chris Townsend:
The rest of it was a damp squib. Wireless charging! WOW

There was a ton of new features and impressive hardware. Not interesting to everyone but I was impressed. Even the heart rate updates that will alert you and keep track of recovery rate is really cool and good for statistics and health. I'm really enjoying that. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Sep 12 2017 11:37 PM

Shaun. :
I’m on.šŸ˜‰

I to was hoping for IR for the Avant M-I šŸ¤—

Big Smile 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Sep 12 2017 11:40 PM
Chris Townsend:

I'll definitely get one, especially if I can also upgrade my current purchases for free.

The rest of it was a damp squib. Wireless charging! WOW Beovision 7-55 Mk2, Avant RF 28, Beolab 5, Beolit 15, Beoplay A1/A2, Beocom 2, Beotime, H3 ANC/H8/H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Current purchases are upgraded for free.

Assuming of course that there is a 4K version available. The list of participating studios seemed small - just Hollywood.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Sep 12 2017 11:41 PM
Michael:

No new earbuds, just a new wireless charging case - that you buy to your AirPods.

Yes that's what I meant.

BeoNut since '75

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 12:52 AM

The pricing was the interesting part - 4K HDR movies for the same price as normal definition, that sounds like they won over the studios (at least those participating), who by all accounts wanted much higher prices.

As for the range of movie content, i wouldn't hold your breath - they tend to be only the very newest movies. But the price is a minor breakthrough i think. 4K HDR will have very slow take up (streaming aside) if movies continue to cost 20-25 pounds, as the Blu-Ray versions do, so well done Apple on that front. As for the upgrading of existing purchases, remains to be seen what this covers.

As for the TV app, again it's very limited, to the point of not being very useful, especially outside of the US. I don't believe Sky Sports will be integrated, and Netflix is still absent. Whether Amazon Prime Video will be integrated into the TV app also remains unclear, but all in its limited and very region dependent.

If they could get all the providers on board, you'd have a genuinely different interface through which to access most of your content - but as is currently, they're still a way off that outcome. 

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,002
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 1:59 AM

I'll admit that the improvement from 1080p to 4k has not yet been enough reason for me to upgrade my tv. Yet, a big part of this has been the lack of 4K content. The Apple TV is giving us this content -- from Netflix to Amazon to upgrades of digital purchases -- some of which automatically come with blu-ray purchases. I can see this as being a must-have for owners of 4K BeoVisions. While I'm not quite ready to upgrade, I do know that my next TV will be 4K as par for the course. Another reason why I'm holding off on upgrading from a BeoSystem 3 to a BeoSystem 4.

BartS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Bronze Member
BartS replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 6:04 AM

Will 4K content from the new Apple TV work on the Horizon, as the Horizon is 4K but has no HDR? Or is HDR an option in the operating system of the Apple TV that can simply be switched off?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 7:25 AM

It depends how the individual streaming apps work to detect your display.

On the Amazon Fire box, Netflix and Amazon Prime will show you 4K (non-HDR) versions of (some) content with an Avant / Horizon / BV14  -  so you do get some uplift in picture quality. I don't have a 4K HDR TV, but i suspect it would show you the full 4K HDR version if thats your display and its available.

How iTunes will work on the new ATV is not clear yet - whether it works in the same way as above, i don't know.

On the upgrading your purchases to 4K HDR - they say you can upgrade all your previous content to 4K HDR. I suspect that means only if there is a 4K HDR version available. So if you have bought, for example, Mad Max - then it will upgrade that purchase to 4K HDR. I am not sure they will do they same for movies / TV programmes you bought from a few years ago. My suspicion is no  -  so i'd hold off on the idea that suddenly the range of 4K HDR content has increased massively.

So HDR likely won't be a settings option - they'll likely use the same display detection inside each app, and then offer you up the appropriate content options. For Netflix of course, that needs upgrading your subscription, though thats pretty cheap.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,712
Bronze Member

BartS:

Will 4K content from the new Apple TV work on the Horizon, as the Horizon is 4K but has no HDR? Or is HDR an option in the operating system of the Apple TV that can simply be switched off?

Id be interested to know this too, especially with my Avant

With the Xbox to watch 4k discs i had to change it to i think 8 bit or 10 bit i cant remember. I wonder if you do that too with the ATV - hard to know as there is no product out yet 

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 12:21 PM

Netflix and Amazon automatically sense your display, and either show you 4K content or not - i think that will be the same on the new ATV box. It works well, and they won't need to change the way their apps work, so its an easy upgrade for those streaming providers.

I assume iTunes will work the same, i.e. no need for settings adjustments. 

The Netflix and Amazon apps pick up the display EDID from the HDMI handshake -  thats how they work with the Fire 4K capable box. My best guess is that the ATV 4K will do the same.

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 1:18 PM

If your TV dosen't support HDR, you'll get basic 4K.

BartS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Bronze Member
BartS replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 4:12 PM

That would be great!

Roger
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 417
Bronze Member
Roger replied on Fri, Sep 15 2017 7:41 AM

I got the Nvidia Shield two years ago - with 4K, also supports the 4K standard used by YouTube. And I am already enjoying Amazon Prime, something Apple was rumored to release when the previous box hit the market.

The Nvidia Shield also supports all your movie/picture storing devices, comes with a "playstation"-controller for gaming and gives you the option of a hard drive for local storage of content.  

Roger

AngloApulian
Not Ranked
London, UK
Posts 82
Bronze Member
Roger:

I got the Nvidia Shield two years ago - with 4K, also supports the 4K standard used by YouTube. And I am already enjoying Amazon Prime, something Apple was rumored to release when the previous box hit the market.

The Nvidia Shield also supports all your movie/picture storing devices, comes with a "playstation"-controller for gaming and gives you the option of a hard drive for local storage of content.

Roger

From what I can find out, it appears that the Nvidia Shield only supports HDR10 but not DolbyVision and other HDR Standards and as far as I'm concerned, it's the HDR that makes the biggest difference not the 4K. The new Apple TV 4K supports both HDR10 and DolbyVision.
ciosad
Not Ranked
Atlanta, GA
Posts 21
Bronze Member
ciosad replied on Fri, Sep 15 2017 11:35 AM

Hi Michael -- same here.  Just put my order in maybe 5 minutes ago, and cannot wait to put it through the paces when it arrives in a few weeks.  Sadly...  I don't have a 4k/HDR set at this time, but I'm hoping the upgraded capabilities will enhance a few apps currently having trouble from time-to-time.

You think this revision will have a wider range of native processing reduce the need for transcoding (think Plex Media Server)?  If it does, I may purchase a 2nd, and ditch the HTPC.

ciosad
Not Ranked
Atlanta, GA
Posts 21
Bronze Member
ciosad replied on Fri, Sep 15 2017 11:46 AM

Hi Everyone -- just noticed an article calling out a particular new inclusion with the new set of apple devices.  Looks like FLAC is becoming a bit more supported.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15/apple-flac-playback-4k-apple-tv-iphone-7-8-x/

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Sep 21 2017 12:08 PM

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/21/16341876/new-apple-tv-4k-review-2017

Verge review of the new box....

YouTube not in 4K HDR.....oh dear.

ciosad
Not Ranked
Atlanta, GA
Posts 21
Bronze Member
ciosad replied on Thu, Sep 21 2017 2:49 PM

The point in the article that stood out to me was the lack of mode switching.  I haven't really thought of single mode video since back in the days of manually configured sync rates.  :: face palm ::

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,604
Bronze Member

Sandyb:

YouTube not in 4K HDR.....oh dear.

Did you really expect that to come?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Sep 25 2017 10:02 AM

I purchased it two days ago. I already have Nvidia Shield TV. 

• Nvidia Shield TV does not process Dolby Digital + (used by netflix). The B&O Avant does, but its software is faulty so it cant be used. I have alerted them and they have acknowledged (B&O) but have not fixed the issue. Meaning only stereo in 4K netflix on that device.

The Apple TV on the other hand does process Dolby Digital + on device. It sends PCM data to the Avant which means raw clear data. This works. So now after three years I have surround in 4K.

• The interface is just like the regular ATV 4.

• I have not heard a fan inside it but it might have one, it has vents on the bottom but might just be for the extra heat it might produce.

• Snappy and great interface - miles better than the Nvidia Shield TV.

• It can be set to 24 hz (which I did) for motion interpolation to work (in 4K it does not work in 50/60 hz as in 1080p on avant). It works with netflix 4K whereas the Shield does not. You have to trick it by rebooting with 50hz and then change it.

• Seems to scale 1080p and lower res content pretty well actually. I was considering keeping my ATV 4 as well but seemingly I can do everything from the new box. And if really necessary I can of course change the output to 1080p first and then play on the new "ATV 4K".

• So nice to be back fully on Apple interface. Apple really hit a home run with their system. It works so smooth and great. Nice and easy to use. No setup at all really. Just held my phone close to the Apple TV as it told me and all settings was transferred wirelessly.

- No 4K youtube due to VP9 not implemented in Apples SoC or software. Maybe they will implement it. I do not know. It's not top priority but sucks nonetheless.

- Some issues with sound, probably due to the Avant (or buggy first release OS on the ATV 4K). Sometimes I don't get dialogue and the TV displays PCM 0.0 (no channels?). It plays back the surround channels in right and left and no center. Sounds really funny. Happened a few times. I expect this to get resolved.

- Seems also like they might have changed the IR-code database. On my old ATV 4 I saw (IR B&O) in the settings, now just (IR TV) or somesuch. It turns the TV on - to TV turner (super strange) and volume buttons can't be used. I hope this will be fixed. Maybe the B&O is detected as something else in 4K than in 1080P handshake and thats why it fails to detect it properly. I do not know. And unfortunately the B&O remote can not be learned manually due to their different IR spectrum. Pity! (Oh, maybe I can try using my old Apple TV remote and learn the new one by using that. Ill try!)

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,885
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Sep 25 2017 10:41 AM

Michael:

I purchased it two days ago. I already have Nvidia Shield TV. 

• Nvidia Shield TV does not process Dolby Digital + (used by netflix). The B&O Avant does, but its software is faulty so it cant be used. I have alerted them and they have acknowledged (B&O) but have not fixed the issue. Meaning only stereo in 4K netflix on that device.

The Apple TV on the other hand does process Dolby Digital + on device. It sends PCM data to the Avant which means raw clear data. This works. So now after three years I have surround in 4K.

• The interface is just like the regular ATV 4.

• I have not heard a fan inside it but it might have one, it has vents on the bottom but might just be for the extra heat it might produce.

• Snappy and great interface - miles better than the Nvidia Shield TV.

• It can be set to 24 hz (which I did) for motion interpolation to work (in 4K it does not work in 50/60 hz as in 1080p on avant). It works with netflix 4K whereas the Shield does not. You have to trick it by rebooting with 50hz and then change it.

• Seems to scale 1080p and lower res content pretty well actually. I was considering keeping my ATV 4 as well but seemingly I can do everything from the new box. And if really necessary I can of course change the output to 1080p first and then play on the new "ATV 4K".

• So nice to be back fully on Apple interface. Apple really hit a home run with their system. It works so smooth and great. Nice and easy to use. No setup at all really. Just held my phone close to the Apple TV as it told me and all settings was transferred wirelessly.

- No 4K youtube due to VP9 not implemented in Apples SoC or software. Maybe they will implement it. I do not know. It's not top priority but sucks nonetheless.

- Some issues with sound, probably due to the Avant (or buggy first release OS on the ATV 4K). Sometimes I don't get dialogue and the TV displays PCM 0.0 (no channels?). It plays back the surround channels in right and left and no center. Sounds really funny. Happened a few times. I expect this to get resolved.

- Seems also like they might have changed the IR-code database. On my old ATV 4 I saw (IR B&O) in the settings, now just (IR TV) or somesuch. It turns the TV on - to TV turner (super strange) and volume buttons can't be used. I hope this will be fixed. Maybe the B&O is detected as something else in 4K than in 1080P handshake and thats why it fails to detect it properly. I do not know. And unfortunately the B&O remote can not be learned manually due to their different IR spectrum. Pity! (Oh, maybe I can try using my old Apple TV remote and learn the new one by using that. Ill try!)

How did you get it so fast? Smile

I ordered 5 minutes after it was released here in Sweden. Got info it will ship next week. 

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,712
Bronze Member

good summation of the 4K ATV. 

I got one too and i really like it

I changed the settings around a bit too.  

You will notice on the menu in a movie it will show PCM 2.0 but as soon as you start playing a movie it says Dolby Digital 5.1

I tried with a 4K movie i purchased on the Apple store "Kingsmen" 

I also tried to learn the remote too.  It learns the upbutton but not the down button

I didn't notice on the ATV4 the B&O IR option as i only ever used the BROne to control and not the ATV Remote.  What i was trying to do is use the ATV Remote like I would the BROne. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Sep 25 2017 10:47 AM

Hiort:

How did you get it so fast? Smile

I ordered 5 minutes after it was released here in Sweden. Got info it will ship next week.

Actually, I went to the Apple Store where I live and they didn't have them in store (just the old ones in the display stands) but a friend working there told me they had them stocked so I got one that way. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Sep 25 2017 10:49 AM

Aussie Michael:

You will notice on the menu in a movie it will show PCM 2.0 but as soon as you start playing a movie it says Dolby Digital 5.1

I also mainly use the BR one but trying the touchpad for once - after a year of not using the old one - I kinda liked that feeling - and having Siri. 

By the way, on my TV it does not say Dolby Digital 5.1, rather PCM 5.1. The Apple TV decodes the stream in my case and sends the raw audio data over PCM. Are you sure it says Dolby Digital on yours?  

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Sep 25 2017 11:44 AM

Yup, got mine and running friday night - I'm upgrading from an ATV 3 and it works as expected on my Avant with the Beoremote.

I really like the smooth interface and colors.

One thing I miss is the Radio app (yeah I know) but got some pretty good radio stations on my AT 3, and that app is now gone.

I dont use Apple Music, so how do I get my internet radio back on ATV 4K?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Sep 25 2017 12:13 PM

I will be interesting to see what iTunes HD to 4K upgrade options you have now with your set up.

I understand the automatic upgrade from HD purchases to 4K HDR - but with an Avant, will the ATV 4K box upgrade your HD purchases to 4K SDR?

be interested to know, as and when you (or someone else) does.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,604
Bronze Member

Michael:

I dont use Apple Music, so how do I get my internet radio back on ATV 4K?

Several apps in the app store - Receiver is one of them.

Airplaying TuneIn to the ATV is another way to do it.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Sep 25 2017 3:05 PM

Sandyb:

I will be interesting to see what iTunes HD to 4K upgrade options you have now with your set up.

I understand the automatic upgrade from HD purchases to 4K HDR - but with an Avant, will the ATV 4K box upgrade your HD purchases to 4K SDR?

be interested to know, as and when you (or someone else) does.

If there's a 4K version of your previous purchase, you'll get it for free and automaticly on the Avant its the 4K SDR version. If you have a HDR compliant tv you'll get that version.Big Smile

I look forward to see the difference between 4K SDR vs. 4K HDR, in a near future.

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 702
Bronze Member

Just to be sure..

Do the PUC codes still work with the new Apple TV 4K? Never used the Apple remote on the previous version.. 

Karel.

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Sep 25 2017 6:01 PM

Yes, Apple TV 4.th genWink

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 277
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Mon, Sep 25 2017 6:41 PM

I have a Apple TV 2.th gen connected to an Avant.. Can i switch place with the 4. th gen, and everything will work with PUC and beoremote one?

Page 1 of 2 (50 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL