Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 0 Followers

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,314 Posts
Bronze Member
BenSA posted on Sat, Sep 2 2017 6:01 PM

HI

Maybe a dumb question but can one actually blow Beolab speakers? I have lent a pair of Beolab 4000 speakers to a friend but he plays them so loudly I am scared they going to blow or something? He says due to the fact that the amp is in the speaker, means that the woofers are rated for the amp and therefore cannot blow?

All Replies

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
1,980 Posts
Bronze Member
Yes you can blow any speaker physically.

Not sure if 4000's have protection built in but even so playing a speaker distorted will ruin it anyway.

BLGW - Rekindling the love of ML

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Seanie_230:

Yes you can blow any speaker physically.

Not sure if 4000's have protection built in but even so playing a speaker distorted will ruin it anyway.

When I first saw the question I started composing the answer "no; except for Seanie!" 🤣

BeoNut since '75

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
1,980 Posts
Bronze Member
:)

For the record I have never blown a Bang and Olufsen speaker.

I just kept buying bigger ones Big Smile

Now non bang and Olufsen I have blown a few.

The protection and price always makes me cautious well and as well as my friends and I are getting a little older our music tastes have changed from electronic to less banging music Stick out tongueStick out tongue

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
467 Posts
Bronze Member

Cant answer if they will blow or not.

What I can say is your mate needs a hearing test or at least give him a lesson of appreciation of music. BL4000's sound rubbish when really cranked-up and all he is really doing is listening to LOUD.

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,314 Posts
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Sun, Sep 3 2017 10:05 AM

Hahahah...thanks guys..I will tell him to calm down otherwise I'll take them back!

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
647 Posts
Bronze Member

I might be wrong but I don't think you can blow a BeoLab active speaker as the whole point of the design is that it cuts out to protect itself when getting too hot or too overloaded etc. Earlier speakers I am sure were at risk. This is only an educated guess on my part so do please chime in and correct me if I am wrong as I don't want to give misleading info. I have however played my own BeoLab speakers very loudly over the years and noticed them always cut out if pushed too hard, so just going on that experience.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, E8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL