rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 1 Follower

LR2015
Top 500 Contributor
81 Posts
Bronze Member
LR2015 posted on Sat, Sep 2 2017 2:48 PM

Hi, 

I currently have a pair of BL9's connected to my BV11-46 and whist the sound quality of the 9's are very good I do often wonder if the 20's are better? And if better... by how much - a little bit or a LOT!

Has anyone owned both and can comment on if it's worth splashing out on a pair of 20's or would there not be enough notable improvement to warrant the cash?

I would also be interested in peoples opinions on the BL5's vs 9's (or 20's). If the difference is night and day i could be tempted to part-exchange my 9's for a pair of 5's on 0% interest free credit Big Smile

Thanks

All Replies

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,213 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sat, Sep 2 2017 3:03 PM
In my opinion this is simple. The 20s are noticeably better than the 9s. The 5s are noticeably better still.

Listen to them if you can and then buy the 5s. Big Smile
LR2015
Top 500 Contributor
81 Posts
Bronze Member

Cheers. What about bass - have the 20's got more than the 9's? Probably stupid question me asking about the bass on the 5's - I imagine they would blow the windows out of the room Lets have a Party !!! Surprise Big Smile

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,213 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sat, Sep 2 2017 3:20 PM
One of the reasons I prefer the 20s to the 9s is the stronger bass. The 9s are really good but 20s even better for bass to my ears. I also find the sound from them punchier.

The bass is more than sufficient on the 5s. It's awesome.
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,213 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sat, Sep 2 2017 3:21 PM
LR2015:

I imagine they would blow the windows out of the room

And your neighbour's room.
LR2015
Top 500 Contributor
81 Posts
Bronze Member

Duels:
LR2015:

I imagine they would blow the windows out of the room

And your neighbour's room.

haha... wouldn't be a bad idea Smile

I need to go hear the 20's (and possibly 5's). I have a limited budget so may buy a few Play products instead - desperate for a kitchen speaker (BS1 possibly) and a BS2 for the living room. I was realllllly tempted to upgrade our BV11-46 for the Eclipse 55 but I can't get my head around it's technically an LG OLED TV with a B&O speaker. Appealing it is but not at my TV plus another £5k-ish! 

Cheers

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
959 Posts
Bronze Member

I find the sound of the 9s to be much warmer and more life like.

Never really liked the 20s they seem to make the music sound more "proceessed" to my ears.

LR2015
Top 500 Contributor
81 Posts
Bronze Member

StUrrock:

Never really liked the 20s they seem to make the music sound more "proceessed" to my ears.

That's interesting. I would probably want to pair them to the BV11 wirelessly - I wonder if this would have any effect on sound quality? I am happy with the 9's but if there was going to be a marked improvement in sound quality i would buy the 20's. Good to get another opinion - thank you

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,213 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sat, Sep 2 2017 3:46 PM
StUrrock:

Which just proves what has been said many times - sound is such a personal thing. And why it is so important to listen yourself.
StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
959 Posts
Bronze Member

Duels:
StUrrock:

Which just proves what has been said many times - sound is such a personal thing. And why it is so important to listen yourself.

Well said :)

LR2015
Top 500 Contributor
81 Posts
Bronze Member

StUrrock:

i can't find how to edit my reply above.

Have you heard the 5's and if so what is your opinion on them please?

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Sep 2 2017 5:01 PM

I echo the previous sentiments that sound is a very personal thing. I have both BL9 and BL20. Both are superb speakers. I do find the 9's "warmer" and the sound they produce is "rounder" to my ears, slightly more "natural". But, I have to admit I prefer the punch, control and tightness (forgive me for the lack of appropriate adjectives, as I'm not a professional audio reviewer) of the BL20s. The BL20's bass is also more controlled and tight. I have my BL9's connected to the BV11, and the BL20s are connected to a BS Essence MkII. 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,462 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Sep 2 2017 6:19 PM

Sal:

I echo the previous sentiments that sound is a very personal thing. I have both BL9 and BL20. Both are superb speakers. I do find the 9's "warmer" and the sound they produce is "rounder" to my ears, slightly more "natural". But, I have to admit I prefer the punch, control and tightness (forgive me for the lack of appropriate adjectives, as I'm not a professional audio reviewer) of the BL20s. The BL20's bass is also more controlled and tight. I have my BL9's connected to the BV11, and the BL20s are connected to a BS Essence MkII. 

Preference is very subjective, it'd be good to listen to both for a fairly long period before deciding. I listened to the BL20 and personally didn't like it as well as my BL9s. For one thing I feel the 9s look better, but regardless of that, to me the 20s had deeper, better bass, but the voicing of the speakers leaned more towards the brighter upper mids/treble which is often associated with both mass market speakers and "audiophile" lines like B&W and sold as having increased "detail." Whether this is good or not is entirely a matter of personal preference, the only thing I'll note is that for me, and many people, it's hard to listen to a speaker voiced like this for extremely long periods of time without getting listener fatigue.You may not recognize it as such, but find yourself only listening for briefer periods of time, whereas my 9s I can listen to all day and half the night and not get fatigued. Personally, I'll forgo some enhanced sonic detail for listenability over long times. B&O used to seem to deliberately steer for this, the attitude is that you want to listen to music for long times, whereas "audiophiles" want to sit and focus intently for shorter times. Difference between philosophies. That seems to have changed a bit lately in Beolab voicing.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

LR2015
Top 500 Contributor
81 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks guys for the great replies. I certainly feel better knowing my 9's are well regarded within B&O speakers. I too like the look of them, and possibly prefer them visually to the 20's. It's always difficult when you audition speakers in store I find, because when I bought my 9's (pre-owned) I also listened to 18's, 5's, 20's, and some others etc etc and by the end of it I was exhausted and didn't really know what I was listening too! I went for the 9's in the end because the store gave a good deal on a pre-owned set they had, otherwise I think I would of bought the 20's there and then. This was 2.5 years ago and through looking at the Eclipse it's got me questioning upgrading the speakers! I am soooo tempted by the 5's though... Big Smile

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Sep 2 2017 6:46 PM

LR2015:
I would also be interested in peoples opinions on the BL5's vs 9's (or 20's).

It also depends on the size of your room...

If it's large, go 5s. Those are 4 ways speakers, so it's not fair to compare them with 3 ways speakers. Add a BL19 to your BL9/20 to really have comparable things.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL