rated by 0 users
This post has 55 Replies | 1 Follower

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,215
Founder
9 LEE Posted: Mon, Jul 24 2017 11:47 PM

Hello All.  I'd like your valuable opinions, if I may, as I'm afraid I'm a little lost at the moment...

All will be explained shortly, but I'd like to put a question to our members aged, say 40+ (or even 35+).

How on earth do I advertise to you, to the point you'll want to buy something?  Initially, I'm talking locally - not internet mail-order. It's Audio-Visual, a fairly big purchase financially (but not completely unaffordable to most people of this age group) - and you can physically come and see it.

I've spoken to local business people about local newspaper advertising, who say "print is stone dead - forget it".  I then mention Facebook advertising, and people say "yeah, it creates brand awareness - but little in the way of sales". The 'high street' is dead, too... all coffee shops, phone shops and pawn shops.

Physical mail (aka junk mail) gets thrown in the bin, and email marketing gets deleted immediately.

So, if print is dead, the high street is dead, Facebook leads to nothing, paper leaflets get thrown away, and emails get deleted....  what on earth can get you to buy something?

As ever, I always value opinions on here. 

Over to you....

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,215
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 12:00 AM

PS :from an article written on an Australian website I researched - which seems to sum it up....

"Don’t try to fool the 40 –50 year olds. We know what’s happening when you try to put one over on us.  We are the oldest end of the Generation X group, with all that implies. We are cynical, powerful, judgmental and experienced. We are, in the main, anti-advertising. Anti-marketing. We want the widgit for what it can do, not the bullshit you marketers surround it with."

That seems to be what I've found. But... what WILL get through, genuinely?!

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 846
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 2:53 AM
I have a friend that prints direct mail ads. She says business has never been better. This is the US. She believes it is exactly for the reasons you mention (newspapers are dead, no one looks at spam, people don't click on online ads) - although I guess this doesn't prove it works, but maybe that everyone has run out of ideas?
mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 3:10 AM
9 LEE:

Hello All. I'd like your valuable opinions, if I may, as I'm afraid I'm a little lost at the moment...

All will be explained shortly, but I'd like to put a question to our members aged, say 40+ (or even 35+).

How on earth do I advertise to you, to the point you'll want to buy something? Initially, I'm talking locally - not internet mail-order. It's Audio-Visual, a fairly big purchase financially (but not completely unaffordable to most people of this age group) - and you can physically come and see it.

I've spoken to local business people about local newspaper advertising, who say "print is stone dead - forget it". I then mention Facebook advertising, and people say "yeah, it creates brand awareness - but little in the way of sales". The 'high street' is dead, too... all coffee shops, phone shops and pawn shops.

Physical mail (aka junk mail) gets thrown in the bin, and email marketing gets deleted immediately.

So, if print is dead, the high street is dead, Facebook leads to nothing, paper leaflets get thrown away, and emails get deleted.... what on earth can get you to buy something?

Over to you....

Go to high end fundraisers and do demos and/or giveaways.

Also try business by referral groups with doctors, lawyers etc.

This is what I do in the US anyway...

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Think about YouTube channel with regular short videos on different subjects, demonstrating honesty, hard work and customer dedication of your team and business overall. Make it unpretentious, informative and a bit funny if you wish. Teach us something, and make us want to visit your store or contact you to follow up on the topic you had in your video...

Example: "How we pack bigger/heavier things when shipping across the globe" to demonstrate it is safe to buy online even a 55" TV... Hope this idea helps a bit. :)

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 8:17 AM
I love when I receive a (paper) letter from B&O even if it end's in the yellow bin. If there's an offer of some kind I go to the shop and check.

I read the e-mails from Play before deleting.

I'm 46.
beoaus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 176
Bronze Member
beoaus replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 8:32 AM

I feel your pain.

Perhaps there is something below, if its not to basic?

"Most investigation work nowadays starts on the web"
Create a budget, in thirds for your campaigns and apportion below (1,2,3)

Decide on one of the following each qtr, start with awareness then move around.
. driving awareness (create an audience)
. driving lead generation
. driving sales

1. After setting up a website, linkedin, facebook get SEO sorted and budget google ad words. Don't go overboard on social media, just make sure its a reasonable and updated experience for those using that channel.

Create different incoming opportunities for new website traffic and try to get registrations to form a usable list.
. Instructional videos, resolving problems, differentiation, industry detail
. Blogs
. Google paid visits
(Check Google analytics for results).

2. Create a telemarking campaign, for an event or events or to build a list. Try to create your own list, buying them have not worked out so well for us, maybe your suppliers can initially assist. Try a telemarketer if you have a good one.

Create a marketing campaign for those that register. This can be email or telephone or both. If email perhaps three different streams of emails fortnightly. These can be educational, product specific or range specific.

3. Networking. Hit the golf circuit, industry functions, car clubs and dealerships etc.  Advertise a sign somewhere suitable. Any common element that your target market shares. My old HiFi store had pizza evenings on Saturday afternoons and some wine tasting, a nice table was setup and a movie was on. Radio can work as well.

Beoaus.

Maurice
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Bronze Member
Maurice replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 9:01 AM

Hi Lee 

I fully sympathise with your marketing pitching issue and how everything seems to be marketed at the "young" and quite blatently at the expense of the older age group,

As a bitter and twisted near 60 yr old i'm sick to death of Micheal  F---ing Parkinson telling me i cant get a  cheaper quote  for a hole in the ground savings club !!! oh and before i get to the hole i will need a extortionally overpriced repulsive looking extra boring  hidious assisted chair to help me to a vertical position for my one size fits all zimmer frame " slowly obviously because we dont want to put the body into shock through sudden exertion do we as you might soil yourself "

but as usual i digress, back to your question how about options .

Option 1 contacting your local radio station and putting a classy advertisment together to raise  LSAV profile awareness locally or getting the local radio to your new location with jaguar, or audi or similar  for a awareness event.

Option 2 Classic FM advertising i imaging that would be megabucks though but its a thought.

Option 3 how about approaching selected auto dealerships to have some of your products jointly advertising LSAV and their Brand being pitched at perceived target buyers at their dealerships.

Maybe these options might be to simplistic but if its any help at all ... sorry for the rant at the start ot the thread....

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 9:35 AM

Marketing these days seems to be a black art that I don't have the answer to either Lee, so if you crack it let me know...☹️

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Bronze Member
vikinger replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 10:20 AM

Hi Lee,

Haven't you said it before in another thread.... you get more turnover on your eBay outlet than you get through your advertising on Beoworld?

Honest advertising with faults highlighted, tested products backed-up by good guarantees, careful packing and delivery, ... you are already doing all the right things.

If it's just about 'Local' selling, then surely it's all about location. The Liverpool shop failed, in my opinion, because it was in a location without much passing trade being just between the shopping and business zones and on the wrong side of the street. There's a new B&O store in Ramsbottom, north of Manchester. In a nice boutique shopping street. Broken into twice within days of opening. 

Easy to find? Easy parking? Pay Richer Sounds sales commission for a video link in all their shops to Lifestyle?

Graham

EDIT

I'll qualify that. Richer Sounds are in some of the most out of the way locations and have terribly cramped displays, but seem to overcome that with a website, leafleting and newspaper advertising. Plus they have a massive turnover of cut-price products of varying qualities.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 11:21 AM

What you need is snappy slogans such as, "Yesterday's cool, today!" or "Why bother with Spotify when you can have FM?" or even "Buy a quality wooden case for your inexpensive tablet (tablet included)".

Ban boring signatures!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,552
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 11:42 AM
It would be interesting to hear from John at B&O Manchester whether his excellent YouTube reviews have actually resulted in increased sales for the store.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 4:40 PM

Puncher:

What you need is snappy slogans such as, "Yesterday's cool, today!" or "Why bother with Spotify when you can have FM?" or even "Buy a quality wooden case for your inexpensive tablet (tablet included)".

Ha! Funny, reminds me of the old saying when I was in aerospace engineering, "Using yesterday's technology to solve today's problems tomorrow!" That and the general engineering thing of "measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, and cut with an ax, beat to fit, paint to match, and ship on schedule."

As for a serious reply, sorry Lee, have no idea, and the UK market is probably different than the US one anyway. I'm so old that when someone I know mentions "hip" I  think replacement surgery. Sad

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 6:16 PM

If this web page is any example (and Beo Play does it too), the way to market is to use an alien to model your stuff:

https://crazybaby.com/

Crying

Jeff

rfrichg
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Bronze Member
rfrichg replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 10:18 PM

Hi I'm still below the 35 but approaching :-)

I thought about what drive my but older colleagues down to a store it is either to buy some thing they have decided from home.

Or it is if they have been invited to could be wine tasting or beer tasting in a store could be combined with demo of a new product.

I actually thing that it could be great to make a showcase of a tv or speakers together with wine and cheese and the  invite couples eventually with friends?

I'm not sure if you are doing this some of you but as a customer I think that I would come maybe even bring a colleague along :-)

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,215
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 10:40 PM

Thank you all. Your suggestions have made me laugh, made me think, and made me scratch my head - but I have taken them all on board!

I can reveal my new 'projects' in 1-3 weeks, and I hope you'll all be as enthusiastic about them as I am..  I'll write more, and be very honest, at the time.

Lee

PS : keep the suggestions coming!

smuehli
Top 500 Contributor
Ludwigsburg, Germany
Posts 105
Bronze Member
smuehli replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 11:33 PM

Yes, maybe you could make monthly events - maybe: "Insert a CD Party" and celebrate what it means to use a B&O - with wine an canapeés or so.

Or make parties by friends/customer like tupperware - and the friend/customer could buy a cheaper A6 or so?

Or invite to party via facebook ;-)

beotex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 86
Bronze Member
beotex replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 12:18 AM
I feel like these days everyone is looking for a deal. We are bombarded with the promise of sales, discounts, and free things all the time - with Amazon, eBay, Black Friday, Boxing Day, you name it - and that has become the expectation. It's sunk into my 35+ mind as well, and I'm always on the lookout for "a deal". Nobody pays full/asking price for much.

I think most people also know they are being fooled into "perceived value", but it makes you feel good to think you bought something for less than it "should have" cost. It might encourage one to pull the trigger earlier than planned if they are considering a purchase. My only suggestion is to find ways to offer that deal, real or perceived - whether it's a small % discount, free cables, delivery or setup, etc. Though, I suppose that only works for those who are already familiar or considering the brand.

For luring new customers... I think sponsorship of other's events and charities it's a good, non-intrusive marketing tool. If someone supports a cause I believe in, I try to support them as well.

I see lots of companies having open houses with food, drinks, and entertainment, but often wonder if it really translates to sales - or is it people just looking for a free night out?

Good luck!
pjk561
Not Ranked
Posts 76
Bronze Member
pjk561 replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 1:14 AM

I might look at teaming up with a real estate agent. For people in their 35+ years they would look at certain homes. Placing a working demo into a show home/open house (with someone who can demo it) would show how B&O could fit into their lives and might drive customers to your storefront. Of course it would have to be a small setup, nothing elaborate, but something to give the prospective customer a taste. Wireless products would seem to be ideal.

benjnz
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Bronze Member
benjnz replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 1:42 AM

How about looking at getting some kit in some Audi/BMW showrooms. Might be a bit difficult with any local branded B&O store, but may help the AudiBMW dealership get the B&O option in their cars once they hear it in person, and then again might persuade them to then buy the product for home also.

I seem to remember even the Volvo dealership, when they used to be in the CBD here, would have an Avant going in their service waiting area.

Other than that I've always said market to people in two ways, either the fear of loosing or not having something you would lust after, generally works, and at a price point less that normal you might be on a winner Smile You could also talk about the scalability and it's not throw away etc (well as long as you don't sell the android TVs Whistle

Oh and a quick crazy thought, similar to Laundrapp, why not offer a room equipment package to air bnb type people wanting to charge more for their rooms?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 5:41 AM
Smuehli Pjk and Beotex all had suggestions that I have used in Melbourne over the years and also my the Newcastle Upon Tynne (NCL) store.

I thought NCL was more successful with their evening events that the MEL stores. NCL's were always associated with a non-B&O theme: once it was a lecture on champagne (& associated demonstration tasting); once Audio with cars on the kerb for inspection; once a lecture in the manufacturing of grand pianos with accompanying playing on one shipped into the store just for the event.

The MEL equivalent used door prizes (CDs, Wine) to entice to demonstrations; or the traditional product launch events. To me they are less successful as there was no associated keynote. (Although the beolab 90 was an exception)

Both environments seemed to have regular attendees so I think it worked for customer retention, but maybe not lead generation/ prospect conversion.

MEL does appear with a stand at the local Scandinavian Church's Christmas fair. The Beoplay range gets prodded and poked and I think they have made some cash & carry sales. Volvo is also there.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 5:52 AM
Benj, Melbourne did put the Madonna Bra into a Jensen dealership and that worked ! I saw several people walking away with their B&O toys under their arms Big Smile

And againMelbourne has had tie-ins who big development complexes: usually placing products into the penthouse -- but I only managed to get to one of those and can't vouch for their effectiveness.

I will say that since the Emerald Group (they're into watches, jewellery, etc luxury goods) bought the Australian franchise rights we have seen more splendiferous events - with large crowds of very elegant people ... not sure if they have succeeded with cross selling strategy to date.

BeoNut since '75

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Bronze Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 8:06 AM

Start selling a different brand of audio-video equipment (used or new) and invite customers to come and compare B&O with other brands.

Maybe a Devialet franchise? 

Graham

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
Posts 376
Bronze Member

Emerald group sponsor NRL and AFL teams but I don't think it's even getting people into stores. 

If you go to Richmond FC website and click the B&O link, it takes you to the online stor, Play products only!

Im 35, Instagram, Facebook adds appeal to me, and as I'm on the road all day, the huge freeway signs seem to get my attention too, I see SONOS adverts all the time!

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
Posts 376
Bronze Member

Speaking of junk mail, I have not had a flyer from B&O for at least a year now, and sparingly emails, but I knows other people get more, so not sure how the target audiences are decided. 

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,623
Bronze Member
Facebook advertising works well for re-targeting.

It means you show an add to people who have already shown an interest in your products.

This is done by creating an "audience" in Facebook. 2 solutions:

-You upload a list of your clients emails or phone numbers to FB

-you place a Facebook pixel on your site (or Beoworld), and then target to advert to only those who have visited certain pages.

Otherwise you need to get the people to come to your showroom for other reasons than buying.

Just got invited to a "Saturday morning club" in a london shop, where you get to listen to different speakers, discuss technical issues, etc.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,210
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 10:23 AM

9 LEE:

Hello All.  I'd like your valuable opinions, if I may, as I'm afraid I'm a little lost at the moment...

How on earth do I advertise to you, to the point you'll want to buy something?  Initially, I'm talking locally - not internet mail-order. It's Audio-Visual, a fairly big purchase financially (but not completely unaffordable to most people of this age group) - and you can physically come and see it.

I've spoken to local business people about local newspaper advertising, who say "print is stone dead - forget it".  I then mention Facebook advertising, and people say "yeah, it creates brand awareness - but little in the way of sales". The 'high street' is dead, too... all coffee shops, phone shops and pawn shops.

So, if print is dead, the high street is dead, Facebook leads to nothing, paper leaflets get thrown away, and emails get deleted....  what on earth can get you to buy something?

Over to you....

I must admit that no way of advertising works on me anymore, I am 44 years old, and I have become totally imune to commercials. I actually have begun to deliberately chose other products, than the products that do very agressive campaigns and/or very stupid commercials. Off course I cannot speak for everyone, but I think that this generation has changed, into that they buy what they need, and not because they see a commercial.

It must be very tough for te shops, and I think that the best you can do, is to participate on forums and discussions, and then be more personal with customers you know. The idea of inviting to listening sessions and so on is great, my local dealer is also doing that, and there are a lot of people every time, but that are the "known" customers, but that are also the customers most likely to buy new stuff I think.

It is a bad circle I know, and I don't know how to turn it. I have the stuff I need, and have become more less likely to buy stuff on impulse. Back in the days, with more small local shops, where I knew the people in the shop, I would buy new tv's / car radios and so on often, because I felt welcome in the shops, and lots of times i just stopped buy to say hi, and came out with a new radio, or tv. These days are over, since lots of the small shops are not there anymore, and i dont feel welcome, and know that I cannot get the information I need, from the 17 year old schoolboy trying to sell me a cable with arrows on it, because the sound is better if the electricity flows the right way..

No way... Time has just changed for our generation, and I feel sorry for the small shops. I try to use my local B&O dealer here in DK as much as possible, but B&O is not making it easy for them either :(

/Jacob

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,215
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 11:01 AM

Weebyx:

I must admit that no way of advertising works on me anymore, I am 44 years old, and I have become totally immune to commercials. 

Same!  I will also not buy a product on purpose if the advert annoys me!!  Is that just me being a grumpy 46 year old?

I ask myself the question "what actually makes me buy something?" and I have little idea.  A heavy discount usually pulls me in when it comes to designer clothes. If I can get a Hugo Boss coat for exactly the same price as a standard coat from a. n. other high street shop, I'm happy. Ask me to pay hundreds and hundreds of pounds/Euro's for it, and I'm afraid my money goes back in my pocket to wait for the 'Sale'..

That said, when I buy Apple products, the discounts are either pitiful or non-existent. However, I see value in the products - and they have a resale value when I'm finished with them, too.

I care less and less what other people think as I get older, so I don't follow the herd much. I'm never interested in attending events at local car dealerships and so on, standing there with a glass of fizz making small talk to people I don't know - or don't want to be around very much.  

For instance : If I want a new car, I'll do my research online, narrow it down to 2-3 cars, go see them in the flesh at the local dealers (politely saying to the salesmen I'm just browsing for now), then it's back to internet to get the best deal possible. A car is car, no matter who I buy it from. I've done my research so I usually know more about the car than the salesman, and if it goes wrong - I take it back to my local dealer to be fixed under warranty.  I've tried the "This is the best deal I've found. You are my local dealer. Can you match it?" approach too many times to bother again. They never can.

Someone said earlier something like "I don't know, I'm in the US".  Well, the US leads, and we follow in the UK. We always have. So what's working in the USA right now will be working in the UK some time in the near future.  I'd love to know how it's going over there.

Lee

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 12:38 PM
Rob.B:

Emerald group sponsor NRL and AFL teams but I don't think it's even getting people into stores.

If you go to Richmond FC website and click the B&O link, it takes you to the online stor, Play products only!

Im 35, Instagram, Facebook adds appeal to me, and as I'm on the road all day, the huge freeway signs seem to get my attention too, I see SONOS adverts all the time!

SOMOS plastered on Melbourne trams too!

And yes the Tigers are sporting B&O logos on their track ware.... maybe that's why we are (currently) in the top 4 ?

🐯 roooar !!

BeoNut since '75

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
From the Harvard Business Review

"Executives know the importance of their companies’ reputations. Firms with strong positive reputations attract better people. They are perceived as providing more value, which often allows them to charge a premium. Their customers are more loyal and buy broader ranges of products and services. Because the market believes that such companies will deliver sustained earnings and future growth, they have higher price-earnings multiples and market values and lower costs of capital. Moreover, in an economy where 70% to 80% of market value comes from hard-to-assess intangible assets such as brand equity, intellectual capital, and goodwill, organizations are especially vulnerable to anything that damages their reputations."

Are B&Os customers more or less loyal than say a decade ago, and where is the next generation coming from(apart from my 3 kids!) I bought a couple of Rolex watches a few years back. I didn't really do any technical exploration etc, I just knew being through reputation it was a Rolex, and there's not much better.

I didn't see any marketing apart from the interest free offers, and that's why I also bought my Beolab 5s. Reputation and the ability to purchase an item normally out of reach.

Could B&O do that today to the over 35 tech savvy customer? They'd see the marketing Lee, and then get online to see reviews etc. The Horizon and 14 being the latest offeringsErm..

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 3:45 PM

Someone said earlier something like "I don't know, I'm in the US".  Well, the US leads, and we follow in the UK. We always have. So what's working in the USA right now will be working in the UK some time in the near future.  I'd love to know how it's going over there.

If that's true then B&O is doomed, looking at US dealerships and market penetration!

But, hey, maybe you need to make sure you advertise in GQ and in surfing magazines...Stick out tongue

Jeff

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,215
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 3:56 PM

Jeff:

But, hey, maybe you need to make sure you advertise in GQ ...Stick out tongue

Oddly, when I was silly enough to spend a fortune on magazine and newspaper ads for LifeStyle AV, the only real response I ever got was from GQ.

Towards the end it tailed off, though.. and I had no calls from it for about 4-5 months. I always used to ask where a customer had seen us, or how they'd heard about us.

When I told GQ I was thinking of pulling my advertising as it wasn't getting a response I 'mysteriously' received a number of telephone calls with the opening statement as "Hiiiii.... I saw your advert in GQ and just wanted to ask you about.. etc etc".

Cynical? Me? .....  Hmm

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 4:08 PM

I think it probably worth Radio Advertising on something like Classic FM - in that if you can reach people when they are in their cars and driving you have a captive audience. I fit into the demographics you are looking for but never watch TV, chuck out flyers that come through the door and flip through some magazines - Kinfolk and Wallpaper (maybe an ad in Wallpaper?). Most of the time I can't bear listening to the adverts but do pay attention when it is something I am interested in. I would go for something along the lines of getting the most from Radio and Streaming blah blah. Anyway, maybe worth a punt as you can always just do it for a limited time and see how it goes. Maybe you need something catchy about second life products - Mercedes are doing it at the moment with the thought you couldn't afford a Mercedes? Perhaps something about the care chosen in being highly selective about the products in the showroom.

At this stage in life, I tend to go on recommendations from friends - and they do the same so I have no hesitation having bought from Lifestyle in recommending them and some have bought stuff and been very happy.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 4:14 PM

Okay, frustrated, that I typed a rather long reply, and BeoWorld gave me an error, reloaded to the BeoWorld Error page, and I lost everything, so in a nutshell:

I think people need to experience B&O for themselves. The Pro Partner thing is fine, although no one knows about it, and it seems to be a bit of a mystery (at least to me) here in the States.

So for B&O stores, hold in store demos, perhaps weekly movie nights, lessons / lectures about audio and sound. Heck, play a Geoff Martin lecture from Youtube as an in store information session about the products, etc. Invite the community into the store without any pressure to sell. This is what the local high end bicycle shop does in my neck of the woods (yes, I know the bike shop also has ancillary items to sell).

Even more than the above, I think is for B&O to get back into being sold in high end audio shops next to other brands. Customers, I think, would be willing to pay a premium for B&O when they compare the look and feel and sound of B&O when compared with the tangle of wires and cinder-block amps, and boxy speakers from the other high end brands. And for many, the price of B&O is a comparative bargain, too! Also from a service and installation perspective, the high end audio store may actually have a better financial position to offer the B&O style service than B&O specific stores would.

Phew.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,215
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 5:12 PM

Thank you Sal for that reply.

The time-outs are huge files being shifted around in the background by Keith, who is busily doing the upgrade work behind the scenes.  I've had a few myself - but thankfully this won't be a permanent issue.

Lee

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,273
Bronze Member
Hay Lee

I find Instagram works well.

I know it's another social media but it seems to be less annoying than Facebook and it's junk that gets sent and posted.

Instagram I use for bang and olufsen, clothing and some other brands I follow.

Also I am afraid that xx sells which is sad but true look at adverts for beds always covered in good looking in shape people.

Just my 2p

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Jul 26 2017 10:16 PM
Second that. Much more effective than FB, where timelines are full of junk
AngloApulian
Not Ranked
London, UK
Posts 82
Bronze Member
Seanie_230:

Hay Lee

I find Instagram works well.

I know it's another social media but it seems to be less annoying than Facebook and it's junk that gets sent and posted.

Instagram I use for bang and olufsen, clothing and some other brands I follow.

Also I am afraid that xx sells which is sad but true look at adverts for beds always covered in good looking in shape people.

Just my 2p BLGW - Rekindling the love of ML

I agree, I too find Instagram much better for following brands I’m interested in.
The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 810
Gold Member

I've never been one for marketing as it insults my intelligence; I am quite capable of making my own choices.

To me, a product sells itself. If I walk into a car showroom for example, it's because I have already decided what I like and want to see it. It's then a question of whether I like the person or not that I am talking to. I always buy the person first. There are many outlets that sell the same product. This is why I am rapidly losing faith and interest in the B&O brand as not only are the products not up to par, but neither is the customer service at purchase and after.

The simple truth Lee is that you're not doing anything wrong; you're probably doing everything right. I have met you and made a purchase. You're polite, friendly, passionate and professional. You offered me a coffee and we had a chat about B&O and Beoworld. There's nothing more I could ask you to be. The fact is that I have already owned many B&O products and sold them on, so I have no interest in buying them again. I am looking for something new to fall in love with and to be passionate about, but there's nothing from B&O except very mediocre products (in my opinion) with ongoing problems and no interest from the company in providing an excellent after sales service. The reality is that there's nothing you or B&O have to sell me that I want. Having said that, if I was looking to purchase pre-owned then I would certainly check your site first.

I think you're doing very well at marketing as your very deliberate (I am sure) thread shows! You know exactly what you're doing Lee. There's nothing anybody can tell you but you know that Wink

Simon.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 370
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Fri, Jul 28 2017 1:03 PM

BAND'OH!:

I've never been one for marketing as it insults my intelligence; I am quite capable of making my own choices.

I can't remember who it was but, as someone once said - "Marketing is the art of selling rubbish to idiots"

Big Smile

Page 1 of 2 (56 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL